List the top controversial reef keeping practices

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t have to pay a lot of money if they know what to look for. *wink* some hole in the wall places don’t treat anything when it comes into their stores. But the hole in the wall places are becoming rare in my area. It takes standing in front of the stores tank for a few hours to see what life forms feel comfortable enough to try to feed (usually because sitting still in front of the store tank doesn’t make them think there is a predator waiting to eat them.) then at least you get an idea of what you’ll be taking home. Collection point also really gets ignored when it shouldn’t. But it is even more important when buying live rock and corals with hitchhikers, because often times you get a natural population predator to the pest that hitched a ride. - This is what I have noted from my experiences at least

I would argue that people pay a lot of money for these "pests" still. A few months back I dropped a large chunk of change on bristleworms, mama mias and others. The dry rock trend needs to end lol

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure fish don't feel the stray current going through the water. Here is my rationale:
In the winter, when my hands develop cracks in the skin from the dry air, I get a burn/sting at that cut in the skin when sticking my hands in the water. If I turn my T5 lights out, it is much less worse. If I get off the concrete floor, or put rubber sole shoes on it is much less worse.

The above tells me there is stray current in my tank when I reach in and make a connection to ground. I get a painful sting/burn. I'm clearly making an electrical connection from ground to the water and current is flowing through me. However, the fish don't physical jump - - but I do! They have no sympathy for me. Now, here is the kicker. As painful as it is, if I force myself, or plunge my finger in the water and get them below the surface fully, I do not feel any sting/pain. This might suggest the stray current/voltage is at the surface only. Once my hand is fully submerged, that cut in my fingers feels no pain. If my other hand (no cuts, no pain) is in the water, and I put the hand with a cut in the water slowly, that cut stings/burns until fully submerged. BTW, these "cuts" are like paper cuts or nearly invisible.

So, I don't think our fish feel the current - - unless we are passing them through the surface in a net or dropping them in.
Live on elevated foundation then you can’t be the ground.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light images
Love It Yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

vs What the seller shipped
Fashion Mask GIF by Glamour

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's still a time we use tap water in reefing, and always will

sandbed rinsing :) which is for sure in itself a ranking offense.

the reason we will always use tap water in our tank transfer thread/fifty pages is because nobody has a fifty page/500 reef tank transfer thread not using tap water as the rinse, or without rinsing at all. before a better option can be said Ill need to see a link.

because tap water rinsing of a sandbed before moving it over to a new tank is the only roadmap on file, we ought to keep up the standard is how I see it.

why tap vs ro/di or saltwater for rinsing sand, and why even rinse sand in the first place?
Just in case this was in reference to my post, I wasn't referring to cleaning the sand bed (which I don't use anymore). I'm referring to using tap water for your normal everyday usage.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee thanks .....

If you think switching salt mixes rises to the level of a controversial practice, good for you: I do not. By that same interpretation, deciding on a tank size, which fish to get next, how to size an UV ...... just gives me a headache. Not sure that's what the OP had in mind. But, hey, a literal interpretation is fine, just not the way I think.
Hey, Im sorry about that. I didnt mean to come off as a jerk.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure fish don't feel the stray current going through the water. Here is my rationale:
In the winter, when my hands develop cracks in the skin from the dry air, I get a burn/sting at that cut in the skin when sticking my hands in the water. If I turn my T5 lights out, it is much less worse. If I get off the concrete floor, or put rubber sole shoes on it is much less worse.

The above tells me there is stray current in my tank when I reach in and make a connection to ground. I get a painful sting/burn. I'm clearly making an electrical connection from ground to the water and current is flowing through me. However, the fish don't physical jump - - but I do! They have no sympathy for me. Now, here is the kicker. As painful as it is, if I force myself, or plunge my finger in the water and get them below the surface fully, I do not feel any sting/pain. This might suggest the stray current/voltage is at the surface only. Once my hand is fully submerged, that cut in my fingers feels no pain. If my other hand (no cuts, no pain) is in the water, and I put the hand with a cut in the water slowly, that cut stings/burns until fully submerged. BTW, these "cuts" are like paper cuts or nearly invisible.

So, I don't think our fish feel the current - - unless we are passing them through the surface in a net or dropping them in.
Didn't know this was a thing. I'm an electrical engineer and if there are stay currents in the water, the fish are oblivious to them. You have to be grounded to experience the effects. Its like an airplane in flight being struck by lighting (which happens WAY MORE than you know) or a bird on a wire. No affect.

1618578650251.png

1618578690204.png

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using synthetic black sand in a reef for a few years now, and I'll never use anything else again.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation process: temperture, drip, plunk it in.
This seems dumb to me. At the rate recommended for any drip acclimation (1-2 drips per second), temperature drops substantially. I personally temp acclimate, drip, temp acclimate again, then strategically place the fish in the best possible spot

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems dumb to me. At the rate recommended for any drip acclimation (1-2 drips per second), temperature drops substantially. I personally temp acclimate, drip, temp acclimate again, then strategically place the fish in the best possible spot
You guys put that much effort in?

For coral I dip, temp, in. Legitimately never had issues, but to be fair, I really don't have an interest in keeping more touchy stuff. If it can't hold its own and have a will to live, it doesn't have a place in my tanks

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mods here let a few threads ride and it adds color,,,appreciate that..

yes, ReefCentral was full of popcorn worthy threads using all of the above...

The real hilarious threads were back in the unmoderated AOL/Newsgroup days:
Under gravel filters vs wet dry. ,.....
Radiums or bust .... 1995 “The Movie”

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about chopping thousands of pounds of live animals out thier habitat and shipping them all around the world where a large number of them unfortunately die so we (myself included(I’m sorry Mother Nature) can have reef tanks. Even though most species are in decline.

Support aquaculture whenever you have the opportunity

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back