Little Red Ferrari

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular coral...I'd imagine it's pretty slow growing and of course sensitive to parameter changes but the system I'd be putting it in is stable. I wouldn't say I'm super experienced with acros at all though so was wondering if this one would be a good one to get not being really experienced with keeping many acros up to this point or if i should instead elect for a different coral. Also, what does one this size usually go for? Thank you guys!
Screenshot_2022-11-30-19-44-12-592_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular coral...I'd imagine it's pretty slow growing and of course sensitive to parameter changes but the system I'd be putting it in is stable. I wouldn't say I'm super experienced with acros at all though so was wondering if this one would be a good one to get not being really experienced with keeping many acros up to this point or if i should instead elect for a different coral. Also, what does one this size usually go for? Thank you guys!

If it’s anything like red dragon (I believe same species) it will be an extremely fast grower that is indeed sensitive as it like to grow nice and big and then RTN in my experience.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s anything like red dragon (I believe same species) it will be an extremely fast grower that is indeed sensitive as it like to grow nice and big and then RTN in my experience.
There must be a reason it RTNs though, right? Any idea why?

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must be a reason it RTNs though, right? Any idea why?

Based on my experience, despite its delicate nature it can be sensitive to inadequate flow. It's a coral hobbyists tend to place to the side or on bottom of the aquarium, as they should, where it doesn't always receive the strongest flow. As detritus settle and powerhead gets weaker from algae build-up, it can suffer from lack of flow.

In our grow out tubs, we have a "dragon rack" in the corner where we grow our dragons. Note its proximity to the powerheads in the first photo. The powerheads blow water over and under the dragon rack so it doesn't directly blast the corals themselves. This rack used to be so full you couldn't tell the pieces apart. But we have since trimmed everything back and rehomed a few colonies.

dragonrack2.jpg

dragonrack1.jpg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, despite its delicate nature it can be sensitive to inadequate flow. It's a coral hobbyists tend to place to the side or on bottom of the aquarium, as they should, where it doesn't always receive the strongest flow. As detritus settle and powerhead gets weaker from algae build-up, it can suffer from lack of flow.

In our grow out tubs, we have a "dragon rack" in the corner where we grow our dragons. Note its proximity to the powerheads in the first photo. The powerheads blow water over and under the dragon rack so it doesn't directly blast the corals themselves. This rack used to be so full you couldn't tell the pieces apart. But we have since trimmed everything back and rehomed a few colonies.

dragonrack2.jpg

dragonrack1.jpg
You’re doing it right! Is that the Ferrari on the bottom right?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned with whether or not you can grow the coral as IME so long as you have the right equipment you have as solid chance with it as most other acropora. Look like it'll be a nice add!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned with whether or not you can grow the coral as IME so long as you have the right equipment you have as solid chance with it as most other acropora. Look like it'll be a nice add!
Awesome! It's about $40...does that sound fair?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd recommend you get a mobile charger first. 4% battery? Yikes.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha...what do you value that frag at btw? I'm looking at a few very different corals and trying to decide
This is where I purchase all of my coral from. He's a local for me. His buy it now price is $65. I will say however, that he's not about the little nubs on a frag plug. He will give what most call colonies as frags. That being said, I think that $40 is a solid price for the frag you're looking at.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I purchase all of my coral from. He's a local for me. His buy it now price is $65. I will say however, that he's not about the little nubs on a frag plug. He will give what most call colonies as frags. That being said, I think that $40 is a solid price for the frag you're looking at.
This is another similar piece i was looking at but a nice dark blue with green polyps that stand out vibrantly...it appears to have the same growth form as Little Red Ferrari and is slightly cheaper even though it's a little bigger. What do you (or any of you guys who commented) think about the comparison? Which color should I go with? Dark blue and electric green or bright red and yellow polyps...here both are side by side...
Screenshot_2022-11-30-19-44-12-592_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2022-12-01-08-38-32-839_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is another similar piece i was looking at but a nice dark blue with green polyps that stand out vibrantly...it appears to have the same growth form as Little Red Ferrari and is slightly cheaper even though it's a little bigger. What do you (or any of you guys who commented) think about the comparison? Which color should I go with? Dark blue and electric green or bright red and yellow polyps...here both are side by side...
Screenshot_2022-11-30-19-44-12-592_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2022-12-01-08-38-32-839_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

In my experience the dark purplish with green tips/polyps (CC Needle in a haystack/RMF Last Dragon) is much more forgiving than Little Red Ferrari.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back