Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Chad Clayton here. I am gearing up to present at the Ocean State Reef Aquarium Society's annual event in April. I am going to discuss live feeds and how they are applied to aquariums (also a little about aquaculture). I have a lot of information from past experiences on brine shrimp, mysids, copepods, rotifers, macroalgae and phytoplankton. I was wondering if anyone could chime in with any other live feeds types and how they might be cultured and/or fed in tank. Polychaete worms, amphipods, black worms, isopods and other critters.

I look forward to the discussion!

Last edited:

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get any information on the culturing of Polychaete worms or other marine worms please let me know. I will set up a culture the next day. For now here are my setups for culturing live food. White worms are grown inside of plastic shoe boxes in a wine chiller I picked up cheap. I keep it set at 59F. Black worms are kept at room temp. The upper container is a letter keeper and the lower is a storage box both bought at Menards. There are 2" tall pvc legs under the upper tray and a simple air lift pump in the center. Water level is kept at the bottom of upper tray. There are covers for both trays. The 2 5G aquariums are for live adult brine shrimp and copepods. I harvest the pods by siphon every 2 weeks or so. I also have two BBS cones going so I have live BBS everyday to feed all 6 of my tanks.

ww.jpg

bw.jpg

pods.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Nutrition

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get any information on the culturing of Polychaete worms or other marine worms please let me know. I will set up a culture the next day. For now here are my setups for culturing live food. White worms are grown inside of plastic shoe boxes in a wine chiller I picked up cheap. I keep it set at 59F. Black worms are kept at room temp. The upper container is a letter keeper and the lower is a storage box both bought at Menards. There are 2" tall pvc legs under the upper tray and a simple air lift pump in the center. Water level is kept at the bottom of upper tray. There are covers for both trays. The 2 5G aquariums are for live adult brine shrimp and copepods. I harvest the pods by siphon every 2 weeks or so. I also have two BBS cones going so I have live BBS everyday to feed all 6 of my tanks.

ww.jpg

bw.jpg

pods.jpg

Thanks for sharing that information laga77!

Chad

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh this should be good!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cultured ghost shrimp, but I don't know if that's something you'd even want to bring up. The best advice I have for culturing them is "RUN!!!! DON'T DO IT!!"

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's pretend that the cardboard box below is a regular storage container/tote. The black mesh "bowl" is a plastic water garden basket.

I would pick out the berried ghostshrimp and put them in the basket and the basket was suspended in the tote by rigid airline tubing. When the babies dislodged, they would escape their Moms and run out of the basket into the tote. That's where I would scoop them up and put them in a different tank.

yahoo.jpg

liner2.jpg

liner.jpg

liner3.jpg

Here are the babies. They can immediately take foods such as freeze dried cyclopeeze, which you see in the water as well for size comparison.

babyshrimp.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back