Live food

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I should feed fresh water fish to my saltwater carnivore I heard it can damage their liver and stuff but I’ve also heard it is good fro them so I don’t know what’s the best live fish food to feed I have a frogfish and a dwarf lionfish by the way

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I should feed fresh water fish to my saltwater carnivore I heard it can damage their liver and stuff but I’ve also heard it is good fro them so I don’t know what’s the best live fish food to feed I have a frogfish and a dwarf lionfish by the way
I have numerous scorps and frogfish. No lions but diet is close to the same.

@lion king may be able to add to the below.

I feed my scorps/frogs guppies (raised in brackish tank) and mollies (they breed like mad in my frag tank). I also feed ghost shrimp that are loaded with omega one pellets. They also will actively hunt gammarid amphopods, since there a ton in the tank they are in (macro/mangrove lagoon)

Mine also eat frozen food.For frozen, they get bits of hikari silversides, mahi scraps, redfish (spotted drum) scraps, and other scraps I freeze from when I clean fish I catch while in FL. I add all of this to a diy food mix I feed all my tanks, but these guys will take it when I feed the other fish.

One trick I have learned over the years is to run mag just a tad on the high end. This helps the fish with digestion, as they can be bound by larger foods if they do get something a little to big. I keep my mag around 1400-1450, as this aids with preventing that.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies and mollies are a welcomed live addition to a predators diet. These fish have similar protein and fat as their marine cousins, they are in fact brackish and even easily converted to full salt. The basis to the warnings of feeding fresh water fish is really towards goldfish and rosies. These fish contain a large amount of thiaminese, which binds vit B1 and leads to premature death and goldfish contains a large amount of the wrong fat, which leads to fatty liver disease. Rosies have a bone structure which binds in the gut, causin bloat and death. I know I'm long winded but I'm a person that likes to know why. Live guppies and mollies will aid in a long life for the fish you are keeping.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back