Live Rock Help

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R,
I have a question about live rock. I am building my new tank of 180 gallons. I don't want to use any rock from my 150 because I have way too many bristle worms. If I purchase new rock and put it in a trash can with water from my 150 that has been up and running for 2 years will the rock develop the bacteria I need? I ask because I will put a heater and a wavemaker in but it wont have any fish poo or any type of food being fed like a tank. My concern is will I generate the bacteria that I need over a month or two. I pick up my new tank in two weeks. I wont set it up until may may because I am still purchasing gear that I want. So the rock will be in a trash can with tank water until then Let me know. Thanks.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
I have a question about live rock. I am building my new tank of 180 gallons. I don't want to use any rock from my 150 because I have way too many bristle worms. If I purchase new rock and put it in a trash can with water from my 150 that has been up and running for 2 years will the rock develop the bacteria I need? I ask because I will put a heater and a wavemaker in but it wont have any fish poo or any type of food being fed like a tank. My concern is will I generate the bacteria that I need over a month or two. I pick up my new tank in two weeks. I wont set it up until may may because I am still purchasing gear that I want. So the rock will be in a trash can with tank water until then Let me know. Thanks.

Yes that is one way to cure your dry rock. Cycling your rock will require feeding (ammonia) so the bacteria so can populate the surfaces of the rock. You can also use bacteria in a bottle. Cycling is different than curing. Curing involves allowing dead organics to rot off. I wouldn't put to much focus on cycling the rock, rather curing it will help establish the tank and move you along quicker. I would cure it then add a bottle of bacteria to the new tank. The bacteria (Dr. Tims) is probably overkill but personally what i would do and a great way to introduce pods.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes that is one way to cure your dry rock. Cycling your rock will require feeding (ammonia) so the bacteria so can populate the surfaces of the rock. You can also use bacteria in a bottle. Cycling is different than curing. Curing involves allowing dead organics to rot off.
So Dead Macro Rock from BRS has to be cured? I thought that stuff was made. Thanks for your help. I also see there is a difference in curing vs cycling. SO the cycling should be done in the tank as the tank cycle?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Dead Macro Rock from BRS has to be cured? I thought that stuff was made. Thanks for your help. I also see there is a difference in curing vs cycling. SO the cycling should be done in the tank as the tank cycle?

I use the Reef Saver rock from BRS and it will go through some uglies if you cure and cycle in the tank. I'm still going through the stages at 3 months in, but i'm in no rush. Reefsaver is natural calcium carbonate limestone, it's recommended to cure it before adding to an established tank. Curing it will cut down on the ugly stages in the display. Since this is a new tank i would relocate your focus to cutting down time on the ugly stage? Or just go with it and embrace the ugly stage to it's fullest. :)

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can purchase it now and let it go ugly in a brute trash can since I'm in no hurry. Now one more question. Is the reef saver rock just as porous as other rock?
THanks for all of your help.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get the bristle worms again... no way around it. They are harmless.

I would use the existing rock. "cook" it in a dark container and in two months it should be ready to go - cook has nothing to do with an oven or heat... google it. This will make the cycle easier and you will be up and running faster.

If you don't use the existing rock, at least sell it to somebody who will. Don't dry it out. Cured, well functioning rock is the lifeblood of a tank.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do bristleworms even get into my rock I dip all my coral. I guess If I cure the rock the the worms will die because they have nothing to eat. not sure how long they live without food but a couple months
should do the trick.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will die back, but will not likely completely die. They will find a way in anyway, so don't stress about this. If you have a lot now, then there is a lot of organics for them to eat - they do good work on the clean up crew. If you keep the new tank cleaner, then there will be fewer of them.

They are really no different than cockroaches that survive nuclear bombs, bacteria and viruses that survive constant hand washing... they are just going to find a way to make it. Bubble Algae, aiptasia, etc. all can survive dips too... which is why you have to have consumers in your tank.

Some sand dwelling creatures will eat them like horseshoe crabs... and some fish.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suspend the rock and put food on the bottom the worms should stay at the bottom. I dont know if they can crawl up the sides of the containers. Just my solution.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can purchase it now and let it go ugly in a brute trash can since I'm in no hurry. Now one more question. Is the reef saver rock just as porous as other rock?
THanks for all of your help.

I believe the Pukani rock is the most porous, Reef Saver being second most. BRS has a video on how much water each kind of rock absorbs.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get the bristle worms again... no way around it.

I do not agree with this, with proper coral QT you can prevent them from getting into the system if you choose. They do contribute to a good CUC, they just aren't for everyone.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have so many I have two arrow crabs and I think they have food for life lol. They only come out during feeding. However some just lay on the rocks like they get a tan from my Hydra 52 HD lights

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been thinking this rock has eben in my tank for 2 years not sure if I want to get rid of it and start a tank with dry rock. The bristle worms are an eye sore during feeding but i dont have nitrate problems because they more than likely eat left over food. I am rethinking this 2 year old rock.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide not to use it, get it to somebody who will. Real live rock is a blessing now-a-days with pacific rock in a shipping funk. Somebody will gladly buy or take this from out to avoid the 12-24 months of new tank syndrome when starting with dry rock.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So guys i have 160 pounds of live rock I will move from the 150 to my 180. I am going to add an additional 30 pounds of new rock. I will also use 2 cups of my current live sand from the 150 but will by more sand for the 180. I wont use much of the old sand. My new tank will still have to cycle even if my rock is 2 years old? My fish load will not change for the time being. Let me know what type of cycle i can expect. Thanks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely, but a mini cycle is possible. Leave your prized corals and fish in the old tank for a week or two until you are sure - you can always move them later on. If you mostly put the parts that were in the sand back in the sand and keep the stuff that was higher up higher up, then that minimize the possibility.

I would do a few cups of sand spread out a bit.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
excellent. Now how much of the old water am I to use? my nitrates are like 2ppm maybe 3ppm my Po4 is like .05 alk has been steady at 9.5 for a while

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back