Live Sales: Good way to buy coral?

Are live online sales a good way to pick up new frags?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No, Not for me

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Maybe (explain below)

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think there a rip off still. Granted the frags are at a discounted price. Personally I think with the discount there still through the roof for what there asking. When they say drag size. It’s for sure a “frag” size. Support your LFS. Get to know them. Most stores will bring in stuff you want.
My LFS has a bunch of pests in his corals i would rather not buy more corals then touch that.

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones where you have to sit all afternoon and watch for a few new corals every few minutes suck. The ones where you can go to a website at your leisure and purchase corals on sale are ok.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they’re kinda BS. At times when your looking at the coral it’s appears big or atleast a decent size. Once you get it, it’s the smallest thing ever and was not worth the price. Also the “live sale” price is probably the “normal” price for these frags but, they use the sales tactic and say “OMGSH 40% off”

80sixx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think online sales are good. I have bought 13 corals at one time because price is good. My only issue is sometimes it’s quite hard to tell the size of what your buying. You get a great price and then you get the frag and it’s like nano size. That’s the only downside for me.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have already mentioned, it is all the same as gambling. Simple selling psychology tactics. The frags are almost always the same price or less outside of the sale from what I have seen.

That being said, it is still fun to participate and interact with everyone (now more than ever). You can usually break almost even if you can grab free or $5 frags.

But I would put it right up there with gambling or other live games. You get that “rush”.

I also 110% agree you will never get a frag the size of one from a member here on R2R, prepare yourself for 1/2 the size you think you’re getting.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you’re not getting great deals at live shows or online vendors Most frags I bought were sooooo small. Little nubs at best. I have had much much better luck buying from other reefers. The frags are more often than not fully encrusted and even small colony sized For 1/4 the price and no shipping.

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I sure see a lot of ads for live frag sales from different vendors online (and here on R2R!), but I have never personally used this as a way to buy new coral. What do you think, is this a great way to get new frags? If not, what are the downsides?
I wouldn't do it. A lot of people have bots set up for auto check out like for yeezys back then. Youre better off getting corals from people of offerup, facebook, and craiglist. A lot of people sell things cheap. I've done so and fortunately the most I paid for a frag is $40.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back