Live vs Dry Rock

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
As a newbie reefer, I have to ask the big question. Dry rock or live rock? I'm terrified of getting bad hitchhikers, but I understand the benefits of live rock. My tank is shipping as we speak, Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 gallon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,
As a newbie reefer, I have to ask the big question. Dry rock or live rock? I'm terrified of getting bad hitchhikers, but I understand the benefits of live rock. My tank is shipping as we speak, Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 gallon.
Livee rock for the benefits it offers and you can add dry but try to place in tub with water movement and add some denitrifying bacteria such as micro bacter XLM to sort of seed the pores with bacteria

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
There is nothing inherently wrong with using dry rock. But live rock doesn't always come with a high risk; remember that the "live" part of live rock primarily refers to the presence of healthy colonies of nitrifying bacteria...

If you have other reefers in your community, ask 1 or 2 for a small piece of established rock from their system(s) and then build your aquascape with dry rock. Best of both worlds :)

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commented this same thing on another thread that I think you saw lol. If it was me, I'd be 100% live rock all day long in a new tank. BUT, my past three tanks have been a mix of live and dry and I've fared very well. :)

There's nothing wrong with how you choose to start your tank, no matter if it's dry only, live only, or some combo. There's no one size fits all correct answer. It's all about what your goals are and how you want to get there.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commented this same thing on another thread that I think you saw lol. If it was me, I'd be 100% live rock all day long in a new tank. BUT, my past three tanks have been a mix of live and dry and I've fared very well. :)

There's nothing wrong with how you choose to start your tank, no matter if it's dry only, live only, or some combo. There's no one size fits all correct answer. It's all about what your goals are and how you want to get there.
Agreed! :)
But the OP stated they are "terrified" of hitchhikers, so I offered what I feel is a happy medium.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
If you can, find a store selling live rock that started as dry. Our 125gal live rock tank is completely pest free (never even seen a bristleworm). We only use dry base rock and i start the rocks on one side of the tank, that side isnt for sale, and then I move them to the opposite side after 3-4 months of becoming nicely discoloured and seeded. I know not every LFS has our standards (seeing from some posts of peoples live rock tanks full of aiptasia), but I have to believe the majority do. Wont come with hitchhikers AND will jumpstart/move the cycle to your tank

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying from people who are breaking down their tanks is also a great source. I bought a hundred and fifty pounds (and at a dollar a pound, too), from a very nice young woman who was moving to a different province. She had the live rock in giant totes for six months, with powerheads, and was unable to find a buyer for it. No pests, either.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread, meet thread. Same discussion happening elsewhere that might share additional viewpoints.

corand76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ,alot has changed , $40.00 - $60.00 corals you can hold in your hand , sand instead of crushed coral, VHO fluorescents in a canopy with a fan to LED lighting. The first tank I had back when was live rock using a berlin skimmer , h.o.b. filter box, dosing kalkwasser. Thinking about it now ,I really didn't realize what I was able to accomplish on a budget. Second tank, Dry rock,sand,and Leds, everything was ok about 7months started the algae cycles. Then got hit by the dreaded relentless white or grey snot algae. bought 5 nets, removed h.O.B filter box, removed the sand to get it under control. So I'm for live rock whether the natural greenery from Tampa or the clean look rock with coraline if you can find it.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your size tank you can get 100% Live rock for example from Tampa Bay Saltwater and you will not have to brake the bank.
I understand your fear of bad hitchhikers. If you want dry rock I would follow vetteguy53081 advice. Most of people starting with dry rock will eventually get some pests like aiptasia from coral frags. Additionally with dry rock you will have "ugly faze", lasting possibly several months.

kdxracer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your size tank you can get 100% Live rock for example from Tampa Bay Saltwater and you will not have to brake the bank.
I understand your fear of bad hitchhikers. If you want dry rock I would follow vetteguy53081 advice. Most of people starting with dry rock will eventually get some pests like aiptasia from coral frags. Additionally with dry rock you will have "ugly faze", lasting possibly several months.
If you do the dip on new coral frags wont that kill off aiptasia and other pests?
I am trying to build some knowledge to eventually convert my freshwater to salt and reading the dry vs live rock threads

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do the dip on new coral frags wont that kill off aiptasia and other pests?
I am trying to build some knowledge to eventually convert my freshwater to salt and reading the dry vs live rock threads
Coral dips don't reliably kill aiptasia. They are for worms, "bugs", etc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, find a store selling live rock that started as dry. Our 125gal live rock tank is completely pest free (never even seen a bristleworm). We only use dry base rock and i start the rocks on one side of the tank, that side isnt for sale, and then I move them to the opposite side after 3-4 months of becoming nicely discoloured and seeded. I know not every LFS has our standards (seeing from some posts of peoples live rock tanks full of aiptasia), but I have to believe the majority do. Wont come with hitchhikers AND will jumpstart/move the cycle to your tank
While it may come seeded bacteria, the mere several strains in bottled bacterial products are a far cry from the bacterial diversity on real live rock from the ocean

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say mostly dry with a couple pieces of live however in my new setup im doing completely dry rock for the first time and seeing how that works. With all dry you eliminate entry points for unwanted hitchikers however miss out on beneficial bacterias and good hitchhikers. Either or can work tbh and people have had success with both.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back