Live Whiteworms for Mandarins etc.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found burying the bread works wonders. It doesn't mold over/smell and it gets completely devoured in a few days. I keep my culture in the basement. I don't take too much extra effort other than that. Like Paul says, "They have to live with me, I don't have to live with them."

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found burying the bread works wonders. It doesn't mold over/smell and it gets completely devoured in a few days. I keep my culture in the basement. I don't take too much extra effort other than that. Like Paul says, "They have to live with me, I don't have to live with them."
+1 ^^^ but I also cut the bread into narrow strips. Seems to help the worms and much less mold.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mold if you completely bury the bread.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having a bit of trouble with harvesting the worms. The worms seem to go back into the soil after rinsing

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having a bit of trouble with harvesting the worms. The worms seem to go back into the soil after rinsing
If you put the container in the refridge for 20 min they will go to the sides. If you scoop them out into a flat container or plate, pour some water in so stuff is floating and then scoop them out with a fork.

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep ‘em in the basement. Just wheat bread that is well covered in dirt. My soul is wet right now so they are congregating on the sides and lid making it very easy to collect. I can feed my 6 butterflies a couple courses of frozen and flakes, till thier bellies are full, and then add worms and they attack them. No survivors. My goby in the reef tank loves them too if the other fish don’t get them all.
I have a med/leg. teardrop butterfly that refuses to eat frozen of any kind. Just a few flakes, nori and the worms. I hope the day comes where he will eat mysis but till then my white worms will have to carry the weight.
Jim
My soul is wet as well.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, I need some help. I restarted my white worm culture a little over a week ago, and I'm running into this issue again.
It seems like there are some worms initially, but then I get this grey wriggling film on top of the soil. I thought it's microscopic worms, but they never stay in the soil

Today, it happened again & worms are all up the sides and corners, and even out the top. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
20180607_215845.jpg 20180607_215859.jpg 20180607_215923.jpg

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that way, but it wasn't too wet when I started. Another thought, perhaps there's fertilizer in the soil?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its too wet. You needs some air holes in the top lid to vent out gasses and moisture. You need to drain it and add soil to soak up the water as stated above. Sometimes I get mine a little wetter than I planned. I leave the lid off for a day and let it dry a bit. This works unless it is soaking wet. When its way too wet the worms crawl out onto the sides of your container to keep from drowning. Here is what mine looks like when its too wet. The light colored stuff is dry cat food.

worms.jpg

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. Def seems like they're drowning - I added some soil to even out the moisture, but I'm confused because it wasn't this wet to start.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a garden soil that I had already. Perhaps that might be an issue, but maybe it was just wetter than I thought.
Besides adding more soil, how are you removing moisture? I tried putting it in a net, but I didn't know if it was ok try squeezing out the moisture with the worms in there

edit: I just looked up the difference between garden soil and potting soil (haha) I guess I'll try again. Hopefully there's enough surviving to start over

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lean the container to one side and let it drain but you will still have to add soil.
Today is white worm day so I’m about to feed the the fish and add bread and my little Home made mix to feed the worms.

Do you have enough vent holes in the cover of your container?

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously I had drilled holes in the side, but they would get clogged up with escaping worms.
I started over, cutting a big open square in the lid now, and they still found their way up and out.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, too wet and you get worm soup. Found that out the hard way. Salvaged a few but had to start over. Another thing, be careful of soil that might have bugs in it. It’s suggested that you cook the soil first to eleminate bugs and eggs. Guess how I learned that ??!
Jim

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back