Live Whiteworms for Mandarins etc.

GraniteReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mandarin in the first video looks a bit thin. Are you sure the live foods you feed have enough nutrition? I know you don't feed pellets but I don't think there is enough fat in a worm from what I'm seeing.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From here that mesh looks way to big. I think your shrimp are just coming right through it. If you used that sieve for the mesh, pour water and shrimp through it. I bet all the shrimp go through. Stockings would be much better. That's why your mandarin doesn't go there, all the shrimp get right out.
Inhave thise mesh bags for media. Can i use those? See this pic.
8af2ad527756143d487f88223ca0ccb5.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can use any worms but I am not a worm nutrition expert. I am just guessing.

Your mandarin in the first video looks a bit thin. Are you sure the live foods you feed have enough nutrition? I know you don't feed pellets but I don't think there is enough fat in a worm from what I'm seeing.

He always looks a little thin to me also. maybe he is a Supermodel mandarin. But he is spawning so I would assume thats just him. I have had fatter ones but this one has always looked like that. He is a few years old, maybe 5, I forget and he does eat pods all day along with worms and frozen mysis. I don't think he could eat any more than he does. Maybe he's a runner. :rolleyes:

I took down my blackworm farm because I am moving and don't have time to feed live brine every day as I should because of this move. But I think he is fine. I wish someone would tell me I looked a little thin. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Pour some new born shrimp through it and some should go through and some should stay in the mesh. You want the shrimp to be able to get through, but with a little difficulty.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Pour some new born shrimp through it and some should go through and some should stay in the mesh. You want the shrimp to be able to get through, but with a little difficulty.
Yes worked.. :) however mandarin and pipefish, have not yet munched

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are senile. :eek:

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, thanks for the information about white worms. My colony is big enough to feed my picky butterfly ( teardrop) now without ordering black worms. It’s amazing how fast the culture grows. Probably one of the cheapest foods this hobby has.
Appreciate it!
Jim

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, thanks for the information about white worms. My colony is big enough to feed my picky butterfly ( teardrop) now without ordering black worms. It’s amazing how fast the culture grows. Probably one of the cheapest foods this hobby has.
Appreciate it!
Jim
where are You keeping your cultures?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been more clear where in the house to do keep them?
It's too hot in the garageee & I'm afraid any smell would attract fruit flys or other bugs, They are bad here in Fl. if under the sink.

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, I just keep forgetting about it. I have the soil , containers & can source the yeast& yogurt Just not sure where to put the cultures. I have a dorm fridge that would be perfect but can't get the temps above 50 degrees. Wonder if one could install a different thermostat?
Where in the house do You keep yours?
How about any organic smells?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, I just keep forgetting about it. I have the soil , containers & can source the yeast& yogurt Just not sure where to put the cultures. I have a dorm fridge that would be perfect but can't get the temps above 50 degrees. Wonder if one could install a different thermostat?
Where in the house do You keep yours?
How about any organic smells?
I keep my 2 tupperware containers in my garage on the concrete floor. Fall thru spring. Now that its summer I have to bring them inside the house. I keep them in my tank room on the concrete floor. If the wife gets low on wine I sneak them into her wine fridge.
I feed them dry cat food. I find the bread makes a big moldy mess. Maybe its the microbes in the air here. No smell but then i'm old and you know that old folks home smell ????

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep ‘em in the basement. Just wheat bread that is well covered in dirt. My soul is wet right now so they are congregating on the sides and lid making it very easy to collect. I can feed my 6 butterflies a couple courses of frozen and flakes, till thier bellies are full, and then add worms and they attack them. No survivors. My goby in the reef tank loves them too if the other fish don’t get them all.
I have a med/leg. teardrop butterfly that refuses to eat frozen of any kind. Just a few flakes, nori and the worms. I hope the day comes where he will eat mysis but till then my white worms will have to carry the weight.
Jim

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I went back to the 1st posts & found my answers there. Hey I'm old too ! & single So I don't care if it puts out a little smell. Just hate the bugs. The bugs are bad here during the warm months. so gotta keep the kitchen spotless. Even a Banana peel in the can will attract fruit fly's. I'm going to do it quit sure the butterfly's will appreciate them.

Paul B makes more work for me ! I'm even wading in salt marshes looking for sand & mud !

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back