Live Whiteworms for Mandarins etc.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding new born brine shrimp, blackworms and white worms to my mandarins for many years and they are all excellent foods. My mandarins get live foods as do all my fish every day which I believe is a big key to this hobby for a number of reasons, but I just want to discuss whiteworms for now.

About 5 years ago (I have a horrible memory so it could have been during the Nixon years or last Tuesday) I started a whiteworm culture. It was like $15.00 (remember the thing about my memory) and you get a bunch of worms in a little dirt.

I put them in a plastic shoebox with some bread and kept it wet and after a couple of weeks you have thousands of worms, maybe millions but I am still counting.
The absolute best thing about live white worms is that they stay alive in salt water like at least two days. When you feed live blackworms, as soon as they hit the water, they do this little macarana dance and croak before they hit the bottom so slow eaters like mandarins eat a couple then go and take a nap while the rest of the worms are eaten by crabs, snails, manatees or whatever you are using as a CUC.

White worms are also "Free". Well, after you buy a culture anyway. Every week or two, (6 months if I forget about them as I sometimes do) I put half a slice of frozen multi grain bread in the container with some full fatted yogurt and a little nutritional yeast on it. I then spray some plain water on, RO/DI if you are a compulsive nervous wreck, and put the thing in the dark.

When I open it it is full of worms just dancing and singing all over the place. Thousands of babies also.

When you get too many, they clump up on the sides of the container where you can put your girlfriends finger in there to scoop them up. Most girlfriends love that as my wife would. :eek:

But if you don't have enough for that, I take out a clump of worms and dirt and put it in a container. Run some tap water through it a few times and pour off the fine dirt leaving big particles of dirt and worms. Leave it along for a few minutes, maybe go and watch Oprah give away Cadillacs, to homeless cats. The worms clump together so you can suck them out with a straw. I use a baster thing.
Then take the rest of that dirt and strain it in a net and dump it back in the worm container.

Squirt the worms in your tank, especially where your mandarin is and he can feast for days. Mandarins can't eat too much at one meal, especially if it's lent.
It's a great and healthy food that lasts for days. The worms won't dig in your sand and get lost because, well, I don't know exactly, they just don't.

Here is my mandarin eating white worms in his little diner. I built this to keep the copperband away and he hates me for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the shoebox may get filled with these very tiny white mites, especially if you forgot to take your shoes out of the box. They are easy to remove because the cool thing about mites is they have this waxy coating so they can't sink. (Thats why you never see them while SCUBA diving) The worms sink. Every few months, if there are too many mites, I flood their container. The mites all float and I pour off the surface. Keep doing that maybe 4 or 5 times until you see no more mites, then put the muddy water and worms in a net. Let it drain for a couple of minutes and put it back in the shoe box. They like it very wet anyway just be sure there is no puddle in the bottom.
I also stir up the worms every time I use them. I try not to use the same spoon I will eat breakfast with but if you use your girlfriends spoon she will never know because the worms don't actually taste that bad.
Don't worry, the mites and worms will not climb out of the shoebox, (unless you left your shoes in it) they need to stay wet. I also tried to feed the mites to my fish, but they don't seem to like them. I myself never tasted them.
I use a organic potting soil that has some vermiculite in it but no fertilizer. The vermiculite floats so that comes out with the mites. You can see some of it here in the container after I poured off the water a few times.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the shoebox may get filled with these very tiny white mites, especially if you forgot to take your shoes out of the box. They are easy to remove because the cool thing about mites is they have this waxy coating so they can't sink. (Thats why you never see them while SCUBA diving) The worms sink. Every few months, if there are too many mites, I flood their container. The mites all float and I pour off the surface. Keep doing that maybe 4 or 5 times until you see no more mites, then put the muddy water and worms in a net. Let it drain for a couple of minutes and put it back in the shoe box. They like it very wet anyway just be sure there is no puddle in the bottom.
I also stir up the worms every time I use them. I try not to use the same spoon I will eat breakfast with but if you use your girlfriends spoon she will never know because the worms don't actually taste that bad.
Don't worry, the mites and worms will not climb out of the shoebox, (unless you left your shoes in it) they need to stay wet. I also tried to feed the mites to my fish, but they don't seem to like them. I myself never tasted them.
I use a organic potting soil that has some vermiculite in it but no fertilizer. The vermiculite floats so that comes out with the mites. You can see some of it here in the container after I poured off the water a few times.
I like your feeder idea too. I do taste my dogs biscuits and treats before buying. Don't want to get them home and find out she wont touch them. Never tried these worms before. I tried the dried meal worms I give my chickens. They are crunchy but pretty flavorless. I think I have a sense of humor. Kinda like my tank right now.
P_Tank_in2.jpg
dry

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worms sound delicious but I will take your word for it. I remember some guys in Viet Nam tried the Beatles, but I passed on that because C Rations were so delicious. :eek: Guys in the Army do all sorts of stupid things. In training for Gas warfare they gave us this really big hypodermic needle that we were supposed to stick in our leg when they yelled "GAS".

It wasn't really gas (i know that because the drill instructors didn't have gas masks on) and since I went to high school and everything, I knew that. So they yelled "GAS" and everybody dropped to the ground and stuck this ice pick looking thing into their leg. Everybody except me of course because of that high school thing. I made sure I was near a tree when they yelled "GAS" so I was able to stick the thing into the tree and break the needle off, then I put it on my leg like it was stuck there and I screamed in pain. (I am a good actor)

No one found out. Like I can't believe there are so many people stupid enough to fall for that.

It's like when I got certified for SCUBA diving. We were in this very muddy lagoon here in NY. It was about 20' deep with zero viability. We were supposed to swim around the boat four times and every time we passed the instructor we had to show him the handful of bottom mud that we just swam down to the scurvy bottom to get.
Everyone, except me of course, swam down to the bottom 4 times to get mud. I just carried the same mud that I grabbed on my first dive and kept swimming around. High school paid off. :rolleyes:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your feeder idea too. I do taste my dogs biscuits and treats before buying. Don't want to get them home and find out she wont touch them. Never tried these worms before. I tried the dried meal worms I give my chickens. They are crunchy but pretty flavorless. I think I have a sense of humor. Kinda like my tank right now.
P_Tank_in2.jpg
dry
Nice build are you going to put water in it?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build are you going to put water in it?

Yes. Water. I have the rock soaking in my garage. Its ready. I just need to weld the top on the sump. It's been a long project. Built the sump and tank. Didn't have room to soak the rock in tubs while building the tank. Wife said no tubs of rock in living room (this time).

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Water. I have the rock soaking in my garage. Its ready. I just need to weld the top on the sump. It's been a long project. Built the sump and tank. Didn't have room to soak the rock in tubs while building the tank. Wife said no tubs of rock in living room (this time).
Wives are funny like that, make a build thread looks really nive

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the active cultures smell at all? Not sure if I can get this by the wife. From what I read a cool environment is needed. Ideally a wine cooler or maybe an ice bottle in an ice chest will do if you don't have a cold basement.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine if the temps are in the high 70s. The cultures don't smell unless you put your nose right near it. I flood the entire culture periodically anyway to clean the soil and eliminate any mites. And my culture is years old.
I wouldn't keep them in my bedroom and never in your wife's underwear drawer. Wifes frown on that.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do tend to have an smell. Especially in an enclosed area like a fridge. Wet peat, mushroom compost and the food makes for a truffle like odor. (not the candy ones). If ya like truffles ya might pull it off. The fishy dry cat food might give it away. You could get a box like this and place it in your wine fridge. As with all good wines they need to age for a few years.
https://woodcrafter.com/bamboo-wine-box-with-tools-14-25-x-4-5-x-4-5/
I think in Ft Worth you could have them in the garage all fall winter and spring.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do tend to have an smell. Especially in an enclosed area like a fridge. Wet peat, mushroom compost and the food makes for a truffle like odor. (not the candy ones). If ya like truffles ya might pull it off. The fishy dry cat food might give it away. You could get a box like this and place it in your wine fridge. As with all good wines they need to age for a few years.
https://woodcrafter.com/bamboo-wine-box-with-tools-14-25-x-4-5-x-4-5/
I think in Ft Worth you could have them in the garage all fall winter and spring.
What a fancy box! My worms would be lost in that thing LOL ;)

WandaMay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Paul B I asked you about white worms in live feed post then quickly found this and answered my own question I think my box is too big It's 26 inches by 10 inches..... white worm taj mahal maybe I will go for a smaller castle

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else know who would go for white worms? I am assuming anything that eats worms would be stoked with super active worms. Clownfish? Yashas? Clown gobies? Will smaller gobies like green banded gobies or neons go for them? Love feeding live foods and never considered white worms before. Making sure I will have more than just one fish that would eat the supply if I raised them.

@Paul B Love the feeding tube!! Use tubes to isolate and feed corals and inverts, but typically trap them vertically.... why did it never occur to me to just lay it in the sand and let fish wander in??

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back