OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I can help... I am by no means an expert but if you run into any questions let me know, and don't forget to post some pictures!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news a few weeks ago we went for the weekend and came back and the jelly had shrunk to about half the size. I have done everything I know over the last few weeks but he shrunk to nothing and passed. The only thing I can think is that it got hotter in the house than normal as it was near record heat and our AC maybe could not keep up. It is just strange he went from being text book example of happy to shrinking to nothing in less than a month. He was still eating and I could see the food entering the stomach but it was like it was not being metabolized. The water parameters and everything else stayed the same as far as I know other than the temp in the house.

Now I am trying to decide what to do with the tank as in retrospect I do not feel like it is the best home for another jelly fish.

I am tempted to try it as a simple Pico tank and move a few zoas into it and add a light, but not sure yet... we also floated the idea of it becoming an overpriced beta tank haha.....

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempt number 1 with scraps from other tanks:
20210711_105510.jpg

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second try I like this better
20210711_110822.jpg

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All glued together and in tank ready for next chapter:
20210711_122044.jpg

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news a few weeks ago we went for the weekend and came back and the jelly had shrunk to about half the size. I have done everything I know over the last few weeks but he shrunk to nothing and passed. The only thing I can think is that it got hotter in the house than normal as it was near record heat and our AC maybe could not keep up. It is just strange he went from being text book example of happy to shrinking to nothing in less than a month. He was still eating and I could see the food entering the stomach but it was like it was not being metabolized. The water parameters and everything else stayed the same as far as I know other than the temp in the house.

Now I am trying to decide what to do with the tank as in retrospect I do not feel like it is the best home for another jelly fish.

I am tempted to try it as a simple Pico tank and move a few zoas into it and add a light, but not sure yet... we also floated the idea of it becoming an overpriced beta tank haha.....

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Jellyfish Art 5 gallon one a few years ago and ended up with the same experience. I really don't think nano and pico aquariums are a good idea for jellyfish. They are very difficult to maintain long term even with the best of knowledge and skill as well as time. Even my LFS in my old town had problems keeping the jellyfish long term and ended up giving away the Jellyfish aquaria.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Jellyfish Art 5 gallon one a few years ago and ended up with the same experience. I really don't think nano and pico aquariums are a good idea for jellyfish. They are very difficult to maintain long term even with the best of knowledge and skill as well as time. Even my LFS in my old town had problems keeping the jellyfish long term and ended up giving away the Jellyfish aquaria.
Yes it was crazy how fast it went down hill. we had issues from the start, and feel this tank is more for us than for the jellyfish.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a great deal on kessil a160... overkill but with that on top and bottom lights on it has a cool look:
20210711_173448.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back