MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little crack on the lid cracked the rest of the way:
20210112_111650.jpg

Appears to be a design flaw having the line under the name....
However this works out ok as it still covers the front and only leaves the filter exposed.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received jellyfish today!
One came broken in 2 :
20210112_114639.jpg

20210112_114641.jpg

It is still pulsating but it appears the stomach structure came off with the bottom part... I am not sure if it will recover.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other 2 look very happy and healthy:
20210112_113907.jpg
20210112_113927.jpg

Still working on best way too take good pictures.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself appears to be working perfect, the downward flow seems just enough to keep them off the filter intake.

I spot feed them some of the jellyfish food that came with the tank and one is super full.

I am keeping a large amount of fresh mixed water at the ready at room temperature since this is only a 2 gallon tank I have used the turkey baster to suck up the extra food off the bottom and then just replace it with a turkey baster of new water. I am thinking with this routine 2-3 times a day I should be able to keep the water clean since 2 gallons is 32 cups and 10% is only 3.2 cups I might end up changing that daily. I have thought about sucking up and then running it thru a hand held filer sock so I can get the extra food out without needing to replace the water but am not yet sure which strategy is going to be best. as long as I am careful with with water going in matching the water in the tank does anyone see an issue with changing approximately 10% of the water daily?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a serious of YouTube videos by a person who received this as a gift. She had a bit of trouble even after she cycled it for 5 weeks; ammonia spikes, trouble getting extra food out, water changes etc; but I got the feeling she did not have any experience with aquariums before. In her last video she was asking for advice on getting the jellies out of the filter slots, I’m not sure they made it through that ordeal since she quit making videos about them.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a serious of YouTube videos by a person who received this as a gift. She had a bit of trouble even after she cycled it for 5 weeks; ammonia spikes, trouble getting extra food out, water changes etc; but I got the feeling she did not have any experience with aquariums before. In her last video she was asking for advice on getting the jellies out of the filter slots, I’m not sure they made it through that ordeal since she quit making videos about them.
If this was the only tank you had set up I think it would be a pain. I also do not feel this is the best starter tank for someone.
This tank has an adjustment dial on the pump that I had to tweak over the first hour to get what appears to be the perfect flow... at least for now.

I actually spent hours tinkering with the pump and filter and filter configuration prior to ordering the jellyfish to make sure I had a technique down to water changes top offs and what have you.

I also practice feed the dry food that came with it along with freshly hatched brine shrimp to ensure I had a good strategy to target feed without adding air bubbles if needed, and also I like to help build the beneficial bacteria with the same food I will actually be using...

Even with all the preparation and all my prior experience I was and still am pretty nervous about these.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have one get stuck to the filter I turned it off and it pulsated away right away... It is kind of counter intuitive but it seems like I had to turn up the filter power since the same pump that sucks in also pushes water straight down over the filter keeping them from getting too close to it. I tried at first turning it down but that seemed to make it worse then better. I will probably be watching this tank all night just to ensure it is perfect, and because I think they are pretty cool!

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I've read one will eat most and get big and one of three will end up melting away for some odd reason
I have a feeling one is not going to make it already. 1 ate the first time and looks really full and is the strongest swimmer. 1 did not eat till the second time and is still not super full and 1 does not appear to be eating at all....

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the tank is worth the price? Because it does come with tank and changeable lights, filter and all that you need, plus 3 jellies.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the tank is worth the price? Because it does come with tank and changeable lights, filter and all that you need, plus 3 jellies.
To be honest I am still on the fence.
Liveaquaria does not list the moon Jellyfish online but sent a link to order they charge 119 for the 3 jellies and then shipping and the box charge and taxes so if you were to buy just that it would have been 171 dollars.
When I bought the tank it was still pre order and 25% off so I paid 285 but with tax and all 306 dollars. so basically I paid 135 for the tank which came with a decent amount of accessories. So overall I think it is actually a pretty fair price but I have spent hours today trying to figure out the best setting for the pump so that the jellyfish do not get stuck in the filter nor blown around like they are in a washing machine and it has been pretty challenging.

I think I need a little more time with it to say for sure, I really like the Jellyfish and this tank does a great job of displaying them but will have to see if I can get the tank dialed in perfect to make them happy.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day one with jellyfish and it started great but then one got stuck to the filter. No big deal turned off filter it moved right off. I have tried flow as low as it can go and as high and everywhere in between and still about every 30 minutes 1 is stuck to filter.... I am about out of ideas on how to get this not to happen with this tank. Any ideas would be appreciated.

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day one with jellyfish and it started great but then one got stuck to the filter. No big deal turned off filter it moved right off. I have tried flow as low as it can go and as high and everywhere in between and still about every 30 minutes 1 is stuck to filter.... I am about out of ideas on how to get this not to happen with this tank. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Maybe a piece of fine mesh or filter sock material over it???

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a piece of fine mesh or filter sock material over it???
Filter sock material may just work... I tried slowing down the intake with some extra media. I just finished taking out the pump and seeing what adjustment it had... This has not been cool.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back