LiveAquaria Salt - Any Numbers Yet?

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to start this up as the other threads were sponsor threads and the one about the free coupon, but has anyone out there mixed/used this salt yet?

Dr. Fosters is sold out of the small and big box and I'm getting ready to make my next salt purchase. I really like the numbers on this as it's extremely close to the HW marine mix I've been using for the last 10 months and at about $20 less and 40 gallons more worth it seems like a heck of a deal.

My only concern is some speculation that this is just rebranded fritz salt which has a plethora of bad feedback for parameters being all out of whack.

Any real world users, I'm sure everyone would love to hear any feedback particularly if you've tested out your freshly mixed water!!

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to start this up as the other threads were sponsor threads and the one about the free coupon, but has anyone out there mixed/used this salt yet?

Dr. Fosters is sold out of the small and big box and I'm getting ready to make my next salt purchase. I really like the numbers on this as it's extremely close to the HW marine mix I've been using for the last 10 months and at about $20 less and 40 gallons more worth it seems like a heck of a deal.

My only concern is some speculation that this is just rebranded fritz salt which has a plethora of bad feedback for parameters being all out of whack.

Any real world users, I'm sure everyone would love to hear any feedback particularly if you've tested out your freshly mixed water!!
I'd be curious to know that too. It's the same pricing as fritz, and the 205 gallons per box is same as fritz too. Hmm. The numbers posted are the same as fritz as well. I mean... if it looks like a duck.

But the fritz numbers on my last two boxes have been terrible... 1600 mag, 500 calcium, and 10 DKH! I'd been using fritz for the past 6 months without issue, and suddenly the latest boxes are way out of sorts. If the LA salt is just fritz rebrand, then I'll pass. I'm going to go back to IO. :/

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know that too. It's the same pricing as fritz, and the 205 gallons per box is same as fritz too. Hmm. The numbers posted are the same as fritz as well. I mean... if it looks like a duck.

But the fritz numbers on my last two boxes have been terrible... 1600 mag, 500 calcium, and 10 DKH! I'd been using fritz for the past 6 months without issue, and suddenly the latest boxes are way out of sorts. If the LA salt is just fritz rebrand, then I'll pass. I'm going to go back to IO. :/

Yeah that's what I've read, I'm not sure if it was this forum or elsewhere but there's been a ton of speculation about this just being re-badged for LA (although LA claims it's their own mix.)

Be awesome to hear from one or more of the people who sold them out of the original shipment of this stuff to see what the numbers dictate. I'm one of those people who keeps my tank closer to NSW so I'm at a crossroads with what to switch to. The HW marine mix I was fortunate enough to get dirt cheap from another reefer getting out of the hobby (4 boxes) and now that I'm out, I prefer not to move to something that's going to require adjusting my levels WAY up just to do a water change without majorly shocking everything.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same Bags / Buckets / Boxes

Fritz Specs.
"Parameters*
Salinity 35 ppt (1.025 sg) <--- o_O
Calcium 400-450 ppm
Magnesium 1350-1450 ppm
Alkalinity 8.0 - 9.0 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm
* RPM parameters reflect Fritz Aquatics’ QC pass ranges, the median is targeted. Be aware source water can greatly affect parameters especially alkalinity. QC is conducted using RO/DI at a neutral pH and a TDS of 0"

LiveAquaira Specs
"Parameters
Salinity: 35 ppt (1.026 sg) <--- :)
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

Please Note:
In-home analysis with commercially available test kits may result in deviation due to variables including test kit type, age, brand, and testing technique."

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going back to the RPM too.
But... As of late, looks like bad batches have been getting out :(

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed a 20gal batch yesterday, the salt physical appearance itself is identical to Fritz other than there seeming to be less residue that goes into the air when you dump it in the water. It also mixed 100% in 15 mins cold, then I heated it up and waited 2 hours before testing.

*Sailfert kits*
Alk 8.6dkh
Ca 420ppm
Mag 1380ppm

*edit* forgot to mention I bought the 205gal box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed a 20gal batch yesterday, the salt physical appearance itself is identical to Fritz other than there seeming to be less residue that goes into the air when you dump it in the water. It also mixed 100% in 15 mins cold, then I heated it up and waited 2 hours before testing.

*Sailfert kits*
Alk 8.6dkh
Ca 420ppm
Mag 1380ppm

*edit* forgot to mention I bought the 205gal box.

Thanks for the great info! I assume this was to 35ppm? I suppose there's no way to know if this has any fluctuations as has been stated with the Fritz, but I do like the specs and for the money it's probably worth a go, at least for one box [emoji1360]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info! I assume this was to 35ppm? I suppose there's no way to know if this has any fluctuations as has been stated with the Fritz, but I do like the specs and for the money it's probably worth a go, at least for one box [emoji1360]
Maybe "LiveAquaria" will hold Fritz, to the fire :)

Great thread to keep track!!!

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct 35ppm, yeah the price point is definitely great.. I think anything Liveaquaria stamps their name on should be taken seriously. They are the best at what they do for a reason.

It definitely does not release that white cloud in the air that Fritz has when you pour it into the mixing barrel. When I did large wc with Fritz it would make my nose slightly burn when first mixing.

Personally i've always noticed the Red Sea Blue bucket to be the most consistent and true to advertised parameters of any salt i've tried, and i've tried just about everything before that but AF. Plus their buckets come in handy lol. Just figured i'd give this LA salt a shot since the price is good.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct 35ppm, yeah the price point is definitely great.. I think anything Liveaquaria stamps their name on should be taken seriously. They are the best at what they do for a reason.

It definitely does not release that white cloud in the air that Fritz has when you pour it into the mixing barrel. When I did large wc with Fritz it would make my nose slightly burn when first mixing.

Personally i've always noticed the Red Sea Blue bucket to be the most consistent and true to advertised parameters of any salt i've tried, and i've tried just about everything before that but AF. Plus their buckets come in handy lol. Just figured i'd give this LA salt a shot since the price is good.

They got the 205G box back in stock, so I ordered one. $60 with tax and shipped is pretty good for a 205G box (obviously that's a sales price.) Hoping it tests out at or close to your numbers because that's almost bang on where I keep my tank with only minute adjustment needed [emoji1360]

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see the results of everyone's tests, comparing results is a great way to keep an eye on the salt itself to make sure it is consistent enough to be worth our time. Hopefully no bad batches pop up here and there but it seems like just about every salt brand has had a hiccup at some point.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed some up for a water change tomorrow. It doesn't dissolve as quickly or effortlessly as Reef Crystal however, after 11 minutes of mixing, it was crystal clear. I mixed the salt in five gallon buckets and it took 2.5 cups of salt to hit 35ppt where it took three cups with Reef Crystals. Calibrated refractometer with 35ppt fluid just prior to mixing and mixed the salt in the bag before adding to water.

Alk - 9.5 (Hanna) 9.3 (Salifert)
Ca - 520 (Salifert)
Mg - 1500 (Salifert)

Lot #30624

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed some up for a water change tomorrow. It doesn't dissolve as quickly or effortlessly as Reef Crystal however, after 11 minutes of mixing, it was crystal clear. I mixed the salt in five gallon buckets and it took 2.5 cups of salt to hit 35ppt where it took three cups with Reef Crystals. Calibrated refractometer with 35ppt fluid just prior to mixing and mixed the salt in the bag before adding to water.

Alk - 9.5 (Hanna) 9.3 (Salifert)
Ca - 520 (Salifert)
Mg - 1500 (Salifert)

Odd.. all of these numbers seem to be right around 10% higher than the advertised parameters (aside from Ca). It's especially odd when you consider that you only needed 2.5 cups of salt as opposed to needing three cups of Reef Crystals.

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They always cover themselves with the disclaimer verbiage of "accuracy and variables of test kits and user error" etc. Interestingly enough these are two fairly different results from salifert kits.

I suppose the main concern about fluctuating parameters is more so from mix to mix. When we're talking about nearly 80-100ppm differences in things like calcium and magnesium, there's legit reason to be hesitant when blindly changing water assuming each mix you make will be consistent. I like to know when I find the amount of salt/water ratio, I can count on the alk, or calcium or mag being the same and that I don't have to check them all every time I do a water change. It just makes for less stress when trying to keep your water as stable as possible. I know there's reefers out there who keep their tank at certain levels beyond or below their salt, but I'm one of those that prefer to keep it as close to what my salt mix specs are (for obvious reasons.)

I also tend to mix my change water for quite a while prior to using it, which can always have an impact on the final parameters after aerated and totally settled out./heated.

All awesome info in this thread, especially for people on the fence about trying this, or switching salt brands. My box should show up this week and I'm due for a water change, I'll post my results too.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll test mine after mixing as well. Should be here in a few days. It shipped. They got more in faster than they anticipated. Just used up my red sea pro. Have the bag I got from them with that special deal. Will be doing another smaller water change on Friday

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in this salt but now since it might be re branded RPM. I remember when people were praising Fritz and I was sitting home getting crazy calc readings and super low potassium with my salt. I stay far away now.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back