LiveAquaria Salt - Any Numbers Yet?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration fluid I'm using states it's for a refractometer at 35ppt, 53mS, with a refractive index of 1.3394 @77° (currently 75.5°). The directions on the opposite side of the bottle are for refractometers only. I waited 45 seconds after placing the solution on the prism before checking as indicated in the instructions on the bottle.

23786851508_4ccb79034b_b.jpg

It has been about 27 hours since I mixed the water. I topped off the buckets with fresh water to bring them back to 1.026 (fresh calibration on the refractometer) and then checked them with the Coralife hydrometer (swing arm type) and got 1.027. New bottle of alkalinity reagent (HI772S) arrived today so I grabbed it and a new curvette and retested samples from a different bucket than yesterday.

Alk - 9.6 (171)
Ca - 500+ (didn't bother refilling syringe to see exactly how high it was)
Mg - 1560

Last time I sent in a Triton sample I dumped the results into a calculator which indicated a salinity of 35.26 (1.0266) where I had measured 1.025 with the refractometer at the time (pretty sure I calibrated it at the time but that was indicated in my notes) so I don't have much reason to suspect my instruments and/or calibration solution is to blame.

To compound the issue...

Samples collected 8 July

My results/Triton
Ca 420/456
Mg 1335/1356

Samples collected 11 Aug

My results/Triton
Ca 435/460
Mg 1350/1371

My results were lower than the Triton analysis on both samples. I didn't note salinity when I sent the second sample in but plugging the numbers into the calculator it was 35.23 so if nothing else, I'm pretty consistent.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone commenting about the price point, you know you can get a 200G box of reef crystals on Amazon for 53 dollars right? I took my free bag of LA Salt for the record, and am using it in my QT currently. I haven't had any problems with it, but don't foresee myself switching for the DT when RC are cheaper.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone commenting about the price point, you know you can get a 200G box of reef crystals on Amazon for 53 dollars right? I took my free bag of LA Salt for the record, and am using it in my QT currently. I haven't had any problems with it, but don't foresee myself switching for the DT when RC are cheaper.
where are they giving out free samples?

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef crystals is inconsistent and the alkalinity is too high for most sps tanks.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals is inconsistent and the alkalinity is too high for most sps tanks.
There are plenty of people who use RC in SPS tanks. I do and no issues, my alk sits at 8.5 and have to dose to keep it there. I've run it lower with RC too, but I like how everything looks at 8.5 for my tank.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same Bags / Buckets / Boxes

Fritz Specs.
"Parameters*
Salinity 35 ppt (1.025 sg) <--- o_O
Calcium 400-450 ppm
Magnesium 1350-1450 ppm
Alkalinity 8.0 - 9.0 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm
* RPM parameters reflect Fritz Aquatics’ QC pass ranges, the median is targeted. Be aware source water can greatly affect parameters especially alkalinity. QC is conducted using RO/DI at a neutral pH and a TDS of 0"

LiveAquaira Specs
"Parameters
Salinity: 35 ppt (1.026 sg) <--- :)
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

Please Note:
In-home analysis with commercially available test kits may result in deviation due to variables including test kit type, age, brand, and testing technique."
Based on these numbers if they are accurate for those that mix to 1.026 the LiveAquaria would be better. But then again I thought 35ppt was 1.026 but Fritz shows 1.025 if that is accurate then if you mixed to 1.026 all the other numbers would be higher.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it wasn't free technically as madweazl said, but they gave you a gift certificate of equal value to the purchase price for those who purchased when it was released for a short time.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll spend 25 dollars at LA or Foster & Smith sometime though, so I view it as free..lol

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of people who use RC in SPS tanks. I do and no issues, my alk sits at 8.5 and have to dose to keep it there. I've run it lower with RC too, but I like how everything looks at 8.5 for my tank.

So if you keep your alk at 8.5 and RC is so high (12dkh sometimes higher) what do you do to manage those swings with a water change? Or are you just doing smaller water changes more regularly?

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are plenty of people that use RSCP too but it doesn't mean it won't crash certain tanks due to it's high alkalinity, especially if you are a person who does large water changes. I've found it's much easier to dose up than try to get the inflated levels down. That's why many people have success with regular io too.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread, almost out of RSCP, looking to see if there is a better choice for my lps dominant tank, I was tempted

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you keep your alk at 8.5 and RC is so high (12dkh sometimes higher) what do you do to manage those swings with a water change? Or are you just doing smaller water changes more regularly?
I use muriatic acid to drop the alkalinity after mixing the water (there are safer methods apparently but I haven't tried them as I had this on hand). I havent had any issues with inconsistent results batch to batch.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on these numbers if they are accurate for those that mix to 1.026 the LiveAquaria would be better. But then again I thought 35ppt was 1.026 but Fritz shows 1.025 if that is accurate then if you mixed to 1.026 all the other numbers would be higher.
Bruce,
It's been a long time and I hope your doing well.

The Fritz specs don't make since, 1.025 is not .35 So I figure that must be a typo.
To me until proven others wise Fritz is making the LiveAquaria salt mix.

If it looks like a duck / quacks like a duck / then it's a duck.

I hope LiveAquaria holds Fritz to the fire, because Fritz has been releasing bad batches and Dr Foster and Smith will not put up with it, one bit.

It used to spec. out at between 430 - 44o cal when I used it and now it has a tolerance from 400 to 450 ppm.

That's going from perfection or maybe dosing up cal while mixing :confused:

I've been on the Red Sea "Blue Bucket" since spring and it's been the most consistent salt mix, that I've ever used.

Freddie

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another member of our local forum just mixed a liter of it from the same lot I had (different bags but same lot #) and he got:

Ca: 420
Mg:1280
dKh: 7.4 (133ppm)
SG: 35ppt (same calibration solution I use apparently)

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce,
It's been a long time and I hope your doing well.

The Fritz specs don't make since, 1.025 is not .35 So I figure that must be a typo.
To me until proven others wise Fritz is making the LiveAquaria salt mix.

If it looks like a duck / quacks like a duck / then it's a duck.

I hope LiveAquaria holds Fritz to the fire, because Fritz has been releasing bad batches and Dr Foster and Smith will not put up with it, one bit.

It used to spec. out at between 430 - 44o cal when I used it and now it has a tolerance from 400 to 450 ppm.

That's going from perfection or maybe dosing up cal while mixing :confused:

I've been on the Red Sea "Blue Bucket" since spring and it's been the most consistent salt mix, that I've ever used.

Freddie

heck of a way to re-brand yourself and get your sales back up after such negative feedback from its users. You'd like to think though that LiveAquaria would be reputable enough, and savvy enough not to just stick problematic salt in a new box and call it a day, as if people wouldn't pick up on this. Maybe just taking ownership in Fritz and fixing its inconsistencies with better QC in order to make it a win-win for all involved (including the end user.)

But maybe that's optimism getting in the way of my normal realist mentality [emoji15]

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the IO RC but didn't like the sludge at the bottom of the mixing brute can. And if I stored some emergency supply in a jug, it too got all icky on bottom. Also, I was constantly having to chase my numbers, even after water changes. It just wasn't high enough for my tank I guess. I switched to RS CP and liked it much better. Parameters were more consistent and it mixes up in a short time instead of overnight. Always withint 30 min or so. Downside is the expense. So I got my bag of LA, will check it out, and just due to the price and sale, ordered the box as well. Just finished the red sea salt. Next water change I use the LA

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck of a way to re-brand yourself and get your sales back up after such negative feedback from its users. You'd like to think though that LiveAquaria would be reputable enough, and savvy enough not to just stick problematic salt in a new box and call it a day, as if people wouldn't pick up on this. Maybe just taking ownership in Fritz and fixing its inconsistencies with better QC in order to make it a win-win for all involved (including the end user.)

But maybe that's optimism getting in the way of my normal realist mentality [emoji15]
I honesty feel that Dr Foster and Smith / LiveAquaria / Petco
Will make sure the mix is right and hold it to high / consistent / standards
This is a great thread and time will tell.

OP
OP
DanielJameS

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honesty feel that Dr Foster and Smith / LiveAquaria / Petco
Will make sure the mix is right and hold it to high / consistent / standards
This is a great thread and time will tell.

Agreed. I am honestly hoping it's a nice, consistent mix because I've had nothing but good experiences with both companies and based on the parameters would have no problem making this my new go-to.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different bag but same lot (30624) as my previous results:

Sg - 1.026
dKH - 9.2
Ca - 495
Mg - 1410

Water set seven hours prior to testing

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back