Livestock for 10 gallon nano?

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently building a 10 gallon nano and need live stock ideas. I don’t want clownfish since I already have a pair in my Biocube. I was thinking a trio of cardinal fish (Pajama/banggai) but what would happen if two of them pair up. Would they pick on the third. What are some other good livestock ideas you could recommend. Also I’m going lidless so can’t put in any fish prone to jumping. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently building a 10 gallon nano and need live stock ideas. I don’t want clownfish since I already have a pair in my Biocube. I was thinking a trio of cardinal fish (Pajama/banggai) but what would happen if two of them pair up. Would they pick on the third. What are some other good livestock ideas you could recommend. Also I’m going lidless so can’t put in any fish prone to jumping. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
You sound like me. I am currently cycling a 10 gallon, and looking at options for stocking. And like you, I don't want clowns as I already have a pair in my biocube. Currently, I am leaning towards either a firefish and a possum wrasse, or a possum wrasse and something else.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if pajama cardinals will do good long term in a 10g but they will form a trio just fine unlike Banggai’s

pjs get pretty big although they don’t move around to much ime

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like me. I am currently cycling a 10 gallon, and looking at options for stocking. And like you, I don't want clowns as I already have a pair in my biocube. Currently, I am leaning towards either a firefish and a possum wrasse, or a possum wrasse and something else.
Firefish will jump though. I’ve always thought about a watchman goby and a pistols shrimp pair. But the watchman May jump. I have had my eye on a coral croucher goby but I don’t want to order fish offline.
12B1A9AB-E98B-43E7-BAA6-D73F6A7AA7FF.png

They look very cool too. $70 though.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish will jump though. I’ve always thought about a watchman goby and a pistols shrimp pair. But the watchman May jump. I have had my eye on a coral croucher goby but I don’t want to order fish offline.
12B1A9AB-E98B-43E7-BAA6-D73F6A7AA7FF.png

They look very cool too. $70 though.
I considered a croucher as well, but from what I have seen and heard about them, they basically stay in their established hidey-hole until it is time to eat, and even then they just quickly come out to grab the food abd go back to hiding.

Also I went ahead and got a lid because my tank was losing water to evaporation real quick. The rate of evaporation has decreased by more than half of what it was when there was no lid.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral crouchers are a bit of a pain to keep because you have to target feed them. They seem to be pretty bad at getting foods that are just thrown in the tank. They also seem to dislike prepared foods like pellets, they only seem to eat frozen - perhaps you could eventually train them to eat it, but I'm sure that'll be difficult if possible. They also are very cryptic. However, they are pretty interesting.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered a croucher as well, but from what I have seen and heard about them, they basically stay in their established hidey-hole until it is time to eat, and even then they just quickly come out to grab the food abd go back to hiding.

Also I went ahead and got a lid because my tank was losing water to evaporation real quick. The rate of evaporation has decreased by more than half of what it was when there was no lid.
How much water were you losing a day/week?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my 10 gallon IM Fusion to a 25 Lagoon. The fish I successfully kept in my 10 included pistol shrimp/goby pairs (Randal's/Yasha's/Yellow Watchman). Don't get a tiger pistol. They get too big and are a pain with all their digging. I also kept a clown gobie. I had a firefish but he got pretty big and had to be rehomed.

My favorite fish to keep in my 10 gallon was a small group of barnacle blennies. Personality out of the world and a ton of fun to watch at feeding time and as they swapped barnacles in their never ending changes of the pecking order.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back