Livestock quickly dying!

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g waterbox and just yesterday when I was doing my weekly water change I found my orchid dottyback dead in its cave. I think it might have died maybe 2-3 days ago since that's the time frame i remember not seeing it at all.

Yesterday I noticed my Azure Damsel was hiding all the time when it's normally swimming in the open. I threw some mysis in the tank and it darted out of the live rock and quickly darted back in faster than I've ever seen it swim. This morning I looked in the tank with a flashlight and it was in its usual hiding spot but appeared to be breathing heavier than usual. I check back a few hours later when the lights turned on and I find the Azure damsel dead in its side.

Then i checked parameters they read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <5 nitrate. Mind you this was after the water change but even after the 5 gallon water change my Azure damsel was dead next day. What could be killing my fish so fast?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything new to the tank recently? fish coral inverts?

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a snail clean up crew last week and 4 coral frags which were glued down with super glue (cyanoacrylate) from the dollar store. The frags were dipped in coral revive then placed in tank.

I used RO/DI mixed with instant ocean salt to 1.026 salinity. No cleaners or anything were used around the tank. Is it possible stay voltage might be killing my fish like that?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a snail clean up crew last week and 4 coral frags which were glued down with super glue (cyanoacrylate) from the dollar store. The frags were dipped in coral revive then placed in tank.

I used RO/DI mixed with instant ocean salt to 1.026 salinity. No cleaners or anything were used around the tank. Is it possible stay voltage might be killing my fish like that?
No fish additions recently? Do you have any pics of the fish? Any white dots on them or anything like that?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any signs of damage on the dead fish from.possiblyna predator ? Any sign of disease on the other fish?

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added any new fish. I don't have any pics but they both looked great as far as i could tell, no spots, fins looked good, swimming happily just a few days ago. If it was marine velvet could it have been transferred in by a CUC? Because I added both those fish at the same time maybe a month ago or longer so i imagine if it came in the fish they would have died a while back?

Those were my only 2 fish in the tank but I'm afraid that whatever caused this event might kill off my cuc and corals next. Although at this point i think my corals look fine but my 3 nerite snails are all grouped up right at the water line in the same exact spot, I'm not sure if i should be concerned about that.

I checked the heater and it doesn't look cracked but I'm on my way to purchase a multi meter right now and will report back with my findings.

Edit...I just remembered i through the damsel in the trash bin, when i get home I'll snap a pic.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not added any new fish. I don't have any pics but they both looked great as far as i could tell, no spots, fins looked good, swimming happily just a few days ago. Those were my only 2 fish in the tank but I'm afraid that whatever caused this event might kill off my cuc and corals next.

Although at this point i think my corals look fine but my 3 nerite snails are all grouped up right at the water line in the same exact spot, I'm not sure if i should be concerned about that.

I checked the heater and it doesn't look cracked but I'm on my way to purchase a multi meter right now and will report back with my findings.
Snails grouping up at the waterline is common, especially with nerites.
Keep us posted on the findings with the multimeter :)

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish parasites can hitchhike into your tank in their encysted form on corals and inverts. From what I've read, coral dips won't remove the encysted parasites. I've been reading a lot of threads recently in the fish disease section where fish are getting velvet and it is just going right to their gills so the fish die quickly but don't show spots or a dusting.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.190324/

The above thread talks about going fallow (running your tank without fish to give any more parasites time to hatch and die off since they can't find a host). If you don't find stray voltage or some other obvious explanation I would read up on fallow periods to be on the safe side. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry...i tried a newer extension cord and these are my findings:

All equipment off 5.8v
Only heater on 12v
Only powerhead on 12v
Only return on 35v

With everything on besides the return it hovers around 20, with all equipment on it's showing 42.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic

20200528_195933.jpg

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish parasites can hitchhike into your tank in their encysted form on corals and inverts. From what I've read, coral dips won't remove the encysted parasites. I've been reading a lot of threads recently in the fish disease section where fish are getting velvet and it is just going right to their gills so the fish die quickly but don't show spots or a dusting.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.190324/

The above thread talks about going fallow (running your tank without fish to give any more parasites time to hatch and die off since they can't find a host). If you don't find stray voltage or some other obvious explanation I would read up on fallow periods to be on the safe side. Good luck!

I will definitely be doing a fallow period to be on the safe side. Another thing I noticed which i forgot to mention was that the Orchid Dottyback was missing a few scales and it's fins were a bit deteriorated. I'm not sure if that's just because he was dead for a while before i found him or not, but i figured I'd mention it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back