Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry...i tried a newer extension cord and these are my findings:

All equipment off 5.8v
Only heater on 12v
Only powerhead on 12v
Only return on 35v

With everything on besides the return it hovers around 20, with all equipment on it's showing 42.
You get induced voltages, I thought I had stray voltage and with everything u plugged apart from the light that doesnt even touch the tank I was getting 36v. I wouldn't say it's a voltage issue.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get induced voltages, I thought I had stray voltage and with everything u plugged apart from the light that doesnt even touch the tank I was getting 36v. I wouldn't say it's a voltage issue.

After reading through various threads I don't think it's a voltage issue either.

I wonder if lack of oxygen could have done this. I don't have much surface agitation and the only slight agitation in my tank comes from the first baffle where water gently flows over and into the second compartment in my AIO.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through various threads I don't think it's a voltage issue either.

I wonder if lack of oxygen could have done this. I don't have much surface agitation and the only slight agitation in my tank comes from the first baffle where water gently flows over and into the second compartment in my AIO.
Do you have any other form of wave maker/pump that you can point at the surface, if so I would do that.

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any temperature swings? Or and voltage leak in the water? I’ve seen this in the past!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently used Chemiclean?

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp do you keep it at? Air freshener sprayed at all? Other contaminates possibly getting in?
Have you recently used Chemiclean?

Tank is kept at 78 with a reefkeeper. No chemiclean, only thing I've ever used in the tank was carbon. No air fresheners or cleaning agents are used either.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is kept at 78 with a reefkeeper. No chemiclean, only thing I've ever used in the tank was carbon. No air fresheners or cleaning agents are used either.

I ask about Chemiclean because I understand it reduces oxygen levels, which is why they suggest additional aeration when in use.

These sudden deaths are puzzling. Any kids in the house? Never can tell what ends up in a tank with kids in the house. Once upon a time, there was a post here about an ammonia spike whose cause was a kid peeing in the sump!

I'll never forget that one! LOL

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask about Chemiclean because I understand it reduces oxygen levels, which is why they suggest additional aeration when in use.

These sudden deaths are puzzling. Any kids in the house? Never can tell what ends up in a tank with kids in the house. Once upon a time, there was a post here about an ammonia spike whose cause was a kid peeing in the sump!

I'll never forget that one! LOL

There are kids in the house but they stay away from it and it's too high so they can't reach the opening. Plus, this all started when we were all gone for a few days over the past weekend. I did a water change all fish were fine, they were eating and swimming then when we came home that's when the orchid dottyback was found dead and the damsel was acting weird and reclusive.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signs to me seem to point towards velvet.
Light sensitivity (hiding)
Heavy breathing
Sudden Death
Velvet can but doesn't always present with external signs. During my outbreak only 2 of 11 fish actually displayed the spots. Only 4 survived, 1 of which died later due to secondary infection.

Inverts and corals can totally bring parasites into your tank. My tank was devastated by velvet introduced by a couple snails. I would recommend an immediate freshwater dip. Not a cure, but assuming it is velvet, will temporarily alleviate their breathing issues.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signs to me seem to point towards velvet.
Light sensitivity (hiding)
Heavy breathing
Sudden Death
Velvet can but doesn't always present with external signs. During my outbreak only 2 of 11 fish actually displayed the spots. Only 4 survived, 1 of which died later due to secondary infection.

Inverts and corals can totally bring parasites into your tank. My tank was devastated by velvet introduced by a couple snails. I would recommend an immediate freshwater dip. Not a cure, but assuming it is velvet, will temporarily alleviate their breathing issues.

Yeah what a bummer, the last thing i expected was a parasite hitchhiking in on snails. The fish were doing fine for several weeks, snails were introduced on May 20th and maybe 5 days later my first fish dies. Is that about the right timeline for a velvet infection to kill fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kit(s) are you using and can you verify salinity and temperature?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what a bummer, the last thing i expected was a parasite hitchhiking in on snails. The fish were doing fine for several weeks, snails were introduced on May 20th and maybe 5 days later my first fish dies. Is that about the right timeline for a velvet infection to kill fish?
Totally. Velvet releases the infectious, free swimming stage of its life cycle after approximately 4 days, and can remain infectious for up to 15 days. It can often immediately attack the gills, which results in rapid death.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit(s) are you using and can you verify salinity and temperature?

I'm using API kits which are new. I checked salinity today and it's still at 35ppt. I just checked temp with my thermometer from my upstairs tank and it reads the same.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. Velvet releases the infectious, free swimming stage of its life cycle after approximately 4 days, and can remain infectious for up to 15 days. It can often immediately attack the gills, which results in rapid death.

Are clownfish very resistant to velvet? I have a 5g reef as well and a few snails from that same order went into that tank. The clownfish showed no signs of sickness.

Although i didn't add any trochus snails to the 5g, only to the 20g. Maybe they were the ones carrying the parasite. Or..i was also thinking maybe the Flatworm exit i was dosing in that tank might have killed the parasite.

Last edited:

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are in fact, resistant, but not immune to Velvet due to their thick slime coat. If it is alone, by itself, the parasite might not be able to reproduce quickly enough to harm the clown, though that may change down the road.

Eels are the same way. My eel was in my DT with other fish, and showed the signs of velvet. Moved it to a new system by itself, no further treatment due to sensitivity to medications, and he's just fine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are kids in the house but they stay away from it and it's too high so they can't reach the opening. Plus, this all started when we were all gone for a few days over the past weekend. I did a water change all fish were fine, they were eating and swimming then when we came home that's when the orchid dottyback was found dead and the damsel was acting weird and reclusive.

I suspect there was something with the water change.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect there was something with the water change.

Yeah it's really weird that one fish dies after a water change and the next one dies the day after another water change.

I've been trying to think of what i might have done wrong but i just can't pin point anything. The salinity and temps matched, the salt mixed overnight in a covered, empty salt bucket and that same water was used in my 5g as well.

The only thing that stands out in my mind is we started running the dehumidifier in that room. Could mold or something else have gotten into my water during the time the bucket was uncovered when i was adding salt?

Back