Livestock quickly dying!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
API kits not the most reliable or accurate for the most part. Perhaps a second opinion? Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to confirm your readings and for comparison.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect there was something with the water change.

One more thing I remembered...I didn't rinse the live sand when putting it into the tank and during my water changes when i vacuum the sand quite a bit of dust/silt substance comes from the sand and gets suspended in the water column. This silt coats the walls of the sump in my AIO, could it have stuck to the fishes gills and caused asphyxiation after some time? But i guess that still doesn't explain the aversion to light the fish seemed to have before they died as someone else mentioned they would have with velvet.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a form of dinoflagellates and needs to be siphoned up as well as possible. Additionally, lower OR turn Off your white lights. Test Phosphate which is likely high. At night, dose 1ml of Peroxide per 10 gallons of water and continue for 5 days.

Is this tank at or near a window?? Are you using Tap water by chance?

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a form of dinoflagellates and needs to be siphoned up as well as possible. Additionally, lower OR turn Off your white lights. Test Phosphate which is likely high. At night, dose 1ml of Peroxide per 10 gallons of water and continue for 5 days.

Yes tank is near a window. I use RO/DI.

I tested phosphate with my salifert kit and can't make out any discernable blue tint to the water.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes tank is near a window. I use RO/DI.

I tested phosphate with my salifert kit and can't make out any discernable blue tint to the water.
Being near a window ( as suspected) will create these gas-like bubbles. If you black out the side glass that faces window, you will see this material diminish.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's really weird that one fish dies after a water change and the next one dies the day after another water change.

I've been trying to think of what i might have done wrong but i just can't pin point anything. The salinity and temps matched, the salt mixed overnight in a covered, empty salt bucket and that same water was used in my 5g as well.

The only thing that stands out in my mind is we started running the dehumidifier in that room. Could mold or something else have gotten into my water during the time the bucket was uncovered when i was adding salt?

Are you using RODI water?

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was in a hurry and I stupidly rinsed my activated carbon in untreated tap water and placed it into the tank last week (4 tablespoons).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped.

You and me both. It's going to be tougher to re introduce fish not knowing definitely what caused this. But i think they just got sick, i don't see what else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I finally figured out what caused all this. Around the same time I got my CUC I also purchased a few frags locally. I was supposed to go pick up some more but haven't heard from the guy in a while so just now I decided to IM him on a local group. I then noticed he created a thread about his tank having issues and him coming home to finding dead fish breathing heavily on their side. It makes sense now because his coral went into my 20g and none went into my 5g, so this didn't come from the snails which i added to both tanks.

So now how do I proceed? I don't think he specified what the disease was for sure but some posters suspected brook. Is my tank doomed or will a fallow period kill anything I introduced?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I think I finally figured out what caused all this. Around the same time I got my CUC I also purchased a few frags locally. I was supposed to go pick up some more but haven't heard from the guy in a while so just now I decided to IM him on a local group. I then noticed he created a thread about his tank having issues and him coming home to finding dead fish breathing heavily on their side. It makes sense now because his coral went into my 20g and none went into my 5g.

So now how do I proceed? I don't think he specified what the disease was. Is my tank doomed or will a fallow period kill anything I introduced?
Fallow May be safest bet

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send an icp test in order to get good readings imo its best way to find out problems.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send an icp test in order to get good readings imo its best way to find out problems.
Fallow May be safest bet

I will be doing fallow for 6 weeks. Anything I can add to the tank to guarantee the parasite is dead or is fallow more than enough?

Will the ICP test show if any parasites remain in the water? If it doesn't then I don't see any point in testing it.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow is typically a pretty good bet. Timeline depends on what you're aiming to eliminate, might as well go a full 78 days if you don't mind the wait. Will kill off any possible parasites.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow is typically a pretty good bet. Timeline depends on what you're aiming to eliminate, might as well go a full 78 days if you don't mind the wait. Will kill off any possible parasites.

Yeah that's what I'll be doing. This really sucks, that's basically almost the entire summer, and i really liked those fish. I really didn't expect something like this coming into my tank, especially on frags. Even after dipping and scrubbing them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a turkey baster yesterday between both tanks unfortunately, I'm sure there was a few drops of water still in it when I put it into my 5g after using it on the diseased tank. What are the chances of the clownfish in the 5g catching this? Any medication I should buy to keep on standby?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back