Living Rocks: What makes the best rock for live rock? Let's discuss!

Woud you rather start a tank with dry rock or live rock from the ocean?

• Dry Rock

Votes: 228 41.4%
  • Live Rock

Votes: 179 32.5%
  • Combo of both

Votes: 134 24.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters

LOWRY_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had that tank running with life rock, I have live rock in 2 of my tanks and I have had that rock for over 15 years, I then started a fluval 13.5 gallon tank with life rock 2 years ago and I have had many issues with it, currently going through dinoflagellates. I regret going that way now.
currenty battling dino myself. what are you doing. strategy? i have been reading and watching videos like crazy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Marco shelf Rock in my system about 2 years ago and although I loved it, today with corals grown I wish I had gotten less rock. Aquascaping with way too much going on is overrated if you plan on keeping an sps reef. We want to make it interesting when there are no corals and dont account for shading and corals running out of room to grow.
The displayed rock work from the thread looks very nice now but when corals take over nobody will be able to tell it from a pile of regular rocks.
IMO simplicity, low aquascapes(1/3 of tank height MAX) with lots of swimming space for fish is the way to go.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never own a reef not started with pre cured live rock. dry to cured/years isnt worth my time though its now the most popular method.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back