Lobo/Trachy/other ID?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh texture screams lobo, @encrustingacro what do you think it is?

Oh I’m sure it is a Pachysepta, because I own the very same morph myself.
Interestingly enough - it was originally more blue-green under T5s, but it became bright green under LEDs.
IMG_7299.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m sure it is a Pachysepta, because I own the very same morph myself.
Interestingly enough - it was originally more blue-green under T5s, but it became bright green under LEDs.
IMG_7299.jpeg
Huh, my pachysepta has a very different texture, usually it's the lobos that have a much more rough/fringe texture
20231215_175300.jpg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lobos that have a much more rough/fringe texture
Not necessarily. It is one of the reasons why it was misidentified and classified as a lobo for so long.

Here’s an example from google for similar colors to the ones mine originally had under T5s, and it is a Pachysepta as well:
1706603354904.jpeg

Here you can see similar textures from reef builders article about them:
1706603475628.jpeg

And finally, here’s a pic from Live Aquaria, labeled as Pachysepta:
1706603554761.jpeg

I guess there are more than one morphs, because I do also see differently looking Pachyseptas online, some similar to yours, some similar to mine and others in between.

OP
OP
alpacaman

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What’s your secret

I have a rescued lobo that’s in 3 growths 1 of which are showing skeleton

How did you bring it back ?
I'm on the Moonshiners plan but with elevated alk (in the 10 range instead of 8.5). If you go through my post history and look at any of the coral growout contests posts, you'll find images of my ICP results and APEX stats. My tank is pretty stable so I'm sure that helps.

For filtration, I just have a fuge with bio blocks and balls, chaeto, and a skimmer. I took out my roller a few weeks back to see how it would do and everything's still chugging along great.

I feed super heavy for my 500L tank: broadcast coral food (3 scoops reefroids + 3 scoops BRS coral chili, 1 tsp oyster feast) at least 2x/week. My autofeeder (Avast, it's awesome) pumps out Avast reef jerky every 2 hours from 0800-2000 for 60 sec of "on" time each iteration. I also keep my clip stocked with nori. My final addition is daily addition of at least 1 cube of spirulina/brine shrimp (SF Bay brand? Ocean Nutrition? can't remember) or a nickel sized chunk of LRS reef mix.

Other things I dose are 30ml acropower per day and moonshiners vitamix (6 drops/day) and mud (1ml/day). I ran out of phyto about 3 weeks ago, but I've got a massive, stable population of pods that might also contribute.

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the Moonshiners plan but with elevated alk (in the 10 range instead of 8.5). If you go through my post history and look at any of the coral growout contests posts, you'll find images of my ICP results and APEX stats. My tank is pretty stable so I'm sure that helps.

For filtration, I just have a fuge with bio blocks and balls, chaeto, and a skimmer. I took out my roller a few weeks back to see how it would do and everything's still chugging along great.

I feed super heavy for my 500L tank: broadcast coral food (3 scoops reefroids + 3 scoops BRS coral chili, 1 tsp oyster feast) at least 2x/week. My autofeeder (Avast, it's awesome) pumps out Avast reef jerky every 2 hours from 0800-2000 for 60 sec of "on" time each iteration. I also keep my clip stocked with nori. My final addition is daily addition of at least 1 cube of spirulina/brine shrimp (SF Bay brand? Ocean Nutrition? can't remember) or a nickel sized chunk of LRS reef mix.

Other things I dose are 30ml acropower per day and moonshiners vitamix (6 drops/day) and mud (1ml/day). I ran out of phyto about 3 weeks ago, but I've got a massive, stable population of pods that might also contribute.
Wow, how do you keep your phosphates down?

OP
OP
alpacaman

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow, how do you keep your phosphates down?
No idea, honestly! I struggle keeping them up (and nitrates especially) above zero, that's why I took out the rollermat. I have a lot of bioblock media (Three 10"x10"x1" squares and 1gal of 1.5" spheres), a 1" sandbed, and Dr. Tim's Waste Away and maintenence (forgot the name) bacteria seeding @ 130ml per week.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, honestly! I struggle keeping them up (and nitrates especially) above zero, that's why I took out the rollermat. I have a lot of bioblock media (Three 10"x10"x1" squares and 1gal of 1.5" spheres), a 1" sandbed, and Dr. Tim's Waste Away and maintenence (forgot the name) bacteria seeding @ 130ml per week.
Do any water changes?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it's not far fetched for a young tank with a fuge and added bacteria to consume this much nutrients.
I have a 9 months old frag tank with only a skimmer and a roller mat for nutrient export where I feed heavily (not as much as alpacaman, but I also have less volume, and less nutrient export, still quite heavily..) and yet I still dose Nitrates, Phosphates and aminos to compensate.

The problem with tanks with high nutrient consumption is that at some point it tips over, and if you don't catch it in time they'll start climbing - and as we all know, while it's easy to increase them, it's much harder to reduce them later on.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither do I! Was curious as what you're feeding sounds like alot more than what I do lol. 120 gallon, LPS dominant, about a year old, 2 cubes of coral food daily and mysis every other day, coral only for now, po4 is .03, no3 is undetectable, GHA refeugium and daily filter sock changes is all I do. Manual dosing of 20 ml alk, ~13 ml calcium, 1 ml iodine, .5 ml potassium, 3ml iron and 2ml other trace elements daily. Any full tank shots?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a pachysepta; flesh is too smooth (for a lobo as well) I guess we'll just have to wait until it recovers to see what it looks like

OP
OP
alpacaman

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Neither do I! Was curious as what you're feeding sounds like alot more than what I do lol. 120 gallon, LPS dominant, about a year old, 2 cubes of coral food daily and mysis every other day, coral only for now, po4 is .03, no3 is undetectable, GHA refeugium and daily filter sock changes is all I do. Manual dosing of 20 ml alk, ~13 ml calcium, 1 ml iodine, .5 ml potassium, 3ml iron and 2ml other trace elements daily. Any full tank shots?
20240128 FTS.png

20240128 FTS2.png

Attachments

• 2024-01-11 ICP-MS.JPG
    2024-01-11 ICP-MS.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240128 Apex.jpg
    20240128 Apex.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Australomussa to Parascolymia and now Lobophyllia rowleyensis. Reading through the thread I’ve noticed a few similar pieces that I have had and always questions about. I gotta get used to so many taxonomy changes.

505A3DEB-C149-4D9C-959D-9676BF766F7D.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back