Lol, most under rated soft coral

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corky finger, a type of Briareum, *not* very similar to GSP, one of the most under rated soft corals.

It isn't very colorful. A dull purple with brownish highlights.

It isn't fluorescent under blue lights.

BUT

It does grow well in less than perfect environments.

It doesn't shatter and spread all over your tank and make you curse it 2 years later.

It doesn't ooze all over everything in sight.

It grows upright. Until you decide to trim it shorter with just a pair of scissors, and just stick the top piece next to the main stick in the rocks for a more bushy look.

You can lean the initial frag on its side and it will sprout new limbs along the length, from latent buds, just like a climbing rose.

If you get tired of it years later and want the tank room for something else you can just remove the frag plug and lift off whatever pieces you let grow into the rocks.
(I would add a small dab of reef putty to cover any remaining tiny bits just in case.)

And it its own quiet way, it's beautiful.

Bare stick on the right is the latest trimming. Just did it an hour ago.
199d5de8a85efb4e1aa49f56c57e67a8.jpg

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corky finger, a type of Briareum, *not* very similar to GSP, one of the most under rated soft corals.

BUT

It doesn't shatter and spread all over your tank and make you curse it 2 years later.

It grows upright. Until you decide to trim it shorter with just a pair of scissors, and just stick the top piece next to the main stick in the rocks for a more bushy look.

You can lean the initial frag on its side and it will sprout new limbs along the length, from latent buds, just like a climbing rose.

If you get tired of it years later and want the tank room for something else you can just remove the frag plug and lift off whatever pieces you let grow into the rocks.
(I would add a small dab of reef putty to cover any remaining tiny bits just in case.)

BUT

I love the look. Where could I find this coral?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if yours gets big enough to frag I'd love to buy some.

OP
OP
norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked kp aquatics didn' see it on there.....
Yeah, sorry about that. Afterwards thought about editing that post to add your original reply about the Corky finger.

KP Aquatics sells the corky finger.

FWIW, talking to them, that beautiful white look of their corky finger is high summer coloration. He said it fades to similar to my pic at 75°-76°F.

We keep our tank at 76°F.

crayon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP and Gulf Coast Ecosystems can both get the corky quite easily. Shoot them an email. I’ve asked both places for special orders and they’ve been accommodating.
Unfortunately my 5 year old corky finger just took a turn for the worst and don’t know why. It's been happy for a long time, but is now loosing flesh.
Checking levels today, may move it to another tank with more food and see if that helps.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP and Gulf Coast Ecosystems can both get the corky quite easily. Shoot them an email. I’ve asked both places for special orders and they’ve been accommodating.
Unfortunately my 5 year old corky finger just took a turn for the worst and don’t know why. It's been happy for a long time, but is now loosing flesh.
Checking levels today, may move it to another tank with more food and see if that helps.
Thanks for the info. Hope yours recovers.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys but looking for the pulsing sinularia...

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well you cant just drop that with out a pic or vid. yes we need more growers of the softies! if the price is right I would pick up on :D
Ask an you shall receive. It's not like pulsating Xenia where is pulses in low flow. A polyp will open and close here and there, but when its disturbed it puts on a show.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nburg dude such a nice coral! I have been looking for one for a year or so. does your hookup have other cool softies just might be worth putting an order in here in a month or two once I get the new tank setup.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back