Long Spine Urchin question

Discussion in 'Connecticut Area Reef Society' started by MR Big Head, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MR Big Head

MR Big Head Member

Does anyone have any experience with a long spine urchin munching on corals? Mine was hanging out near an alviopora frag last night, and when I looked today the frag is definitely retracted and possibly eaten.

Tags:
  2. MR Big Head

MR Big Head Member

The damage done.....

IMG_0977.JPG-1.jpeg

IMG_0997.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0974.JPG-1.jpeg

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Showcase Editor

Urchins, though usually coral safe can certainly eat coral. Though it is also possible for them to damage corals with their spines as they go by.

4. Triggreef

Triggreef Zoa Addict R2R Supporter CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

I have that same urchin never noticed him doing any damage. Have a couple goni and alvapora.

5. Kershaw

Kershaw Well-Known Member

I have had long spine urchins. And normally as long as you have algae for them to eat they don't bother coral, sometimes they will irritate them while traveling but the corals normally come back just fine. I did have one start eating or hurting monties leaving damgaged spots on them. But I was running a very low nutrient system that had not coralline or any other algae

6. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

I had a long spine urchin in a fish only tank and fed it veggie food. It would come charging out after it even in the daytime. No kidding, when I bought it it was 2 inches across and when I took it back to the LFS it was at least 10 inches. I grew a sea monster. They are well known to knock down reef scrapes. I love them, but I wouldn't put one in a reef tank.

7. SpecialCareInverts

SpecialCareInverts Well-Known Member

Mine, personally doesn't eat algae. That being said, my lfs have had a couple cases where people have brought back urchins because they were munching on corals.

My theory is as follows: Urchins, when well fed, will ignore corals but will start eating them when they near starvation. On the same note, urchins that have eaten corals before, will have a high chance of eating corals in the future, regardless of how much algae is available.

8. Angel Lee

Angel Lee Member CTARS Member

Yup. Caught mine eating a Monti Cap. He went to a new home. He was fine for a year then started eating my SPS. He had plenty to eat too. I fed him Nori and Romaine.