Long Stems = Happy or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter g6gang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

g6gang

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2014
Messages
272
Reaction score
25
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I hooked up my new light (which I have not cranked up all the way, went from LED to more powerful LED), I have noticed that my Zoa colony is not "compact" - The stems of most are making the polyps tall. The polps themselves are open and don't look 'unhappy' to me, but I am wondering if this is a sign that they are not getting enough light (since they are stretching for it). My riccordeas right next to them never looked better under the new lights and they also seem full expanded. So is it time to try to amp up the intensity? In another section of the tank on eof my chalices started to bleach (but I moved him to more direct lighting).
 
Long stalks in zoas and palys is usually a sign that the want more light. I have also found in my tank more flow equals shorter stalks as well.

I agree on both points.
 
OK crank up intensity 5% on both white and blue. Will let it run for a week and go from there.

Thks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new