Long term Pom Pom crab

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has a long term Pom Pom crab without the Pom Poms? Mine lost both maybe more than a month or two now and seems fine but wondering long term. I heard they can split Pom Pom but since it doesn’t have any this is not an option. Also heard they can pick things up to use but hasn’t done it in that timeframe. He seems happy and out and about especially every night.

He has some tiny claws which I believe is what holds the Pom Pom. Maybe he uses. To eat…

207Meg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lost it's anenomes and has now taken to hunting down small bristles worms and ripping it in half and waving the halves around. Seems to do fine. It's been like that for six months now. Gets a new bristle worm evey week it seems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone has a long term Pom Pom crab without the Pom Poms? Mine lost both maybe more than a month or two now and seems fine but wondering long term. I heard they can split Pom Pom but since it doesn’t have any this is not an option. Also heard they can pick things up to use but hasn’t done it in that timeframe. He seems happy and out and about especially every night.

He has some tiny claws which I believe is what holds the Pom Pom. Maybe he uses. To eat…
They occasionally lose them and will find another new to adopt

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lost it's anenomes and has now taken to hunting down small bristles worms and ripping it in half and waving the halves around. Seems to do fine. It's been like that for six months now. Gets a new bristle worm evey week it seems.
That is brutal!

Does anyone know the life expectancy in a tank, or how long they can live? I just got a few from Reef Cleaners. Two for a 5 gallon bowl, and one in my evo. One of the two in the bowl didn't have any anemones. I am hoping they share with each other!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine still alive without Pom Pom at one point he grab an Aiptasia and was waving that around. That is no longer the case. He survive a tank move so life is good.

I did read about them sharing/ splitting the Pom Pom but haven’t witnessed this. I’m tempted to buy another one to see if it happens.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My pompom crab came from reef cleaners without the nems attached. It's still kicking ~2 years later.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not mess with that crab. :oops:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back