Long term T5 storage

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I mentioned in another thread that I'm getting an ATI Sunpower 8 bulb T5 for my 120 gal build. Question, how long can you store unused T5 bulbs? Do they need to be stored in climate controlled, or are they safe to store in my garage?

I had a thought of buying them by the case (as $$$ becomes available) and then storing the unused ones so I have them for several years. That way I can lock in the price on them and ensure that I can use the fixture for many years to come. Plus I've thought about getting in a rotation where I replace 1 bulb every 6-7 weeks so I'm keeping a fairly consistent lighting level on the corals. (I've read the bulbs are best if replaced annually so every 6.5 weeks would rotate every bulb each year). Be nice if it was just run to the closet/garage to grab the bulb and not have to deal with buying them.

Thanks,

- TCoach

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've stored new bulbs either in my attic or garage for well over a year with no issues. I like the idea of stocking up, wish I would have on the old 150w iwasaki 6500k before they stopped making them. Those things would grow acros like no other.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back