Long time listener, first time caller...

DCReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a couple of weeks ago and couldn't ever make the time to post something. Many apologies for the delay!

Not sure where to start... I've been interested in reefing for a long while now. I've always loved the water, especially the ocean and the vastly different worlds that call it home. My wife and I have snorkeled around reefs a couple of times and are both mesmerized and astonished by them. I’ve always wondered how hard it would be to have a piece of the ocean in our home.

I've been doing research for years on reef tanks, the ecosystems they support, and what's important in order to enjoy reefing as a hobby. This site has certainly come up quite a bit in that research and I thank everyone who contributes here as it has definitely provided some much needed guidance along my journey. To prepare myself with the proper patience for the hobby, I have kept various types of orchids (flowers) at home, which have a long and specific lifecycle that you need to encourage to help them bloom year after year. I very much enjoy the return on an investment (time, money, etc.) rather than the instant satisfaction of a single transaction. (Although I do keep African Violets as well, which do put on a show much more often.)

I love watching things grow and develop over time and to let nature show us what it has to offer. My brother has always been into freshwater tanks and I had been helping my sister and nephew with the 40 gallon bowfront they had inherited up until it gave up the ghost less than a year ago. I really enjoyed seeing what they were able to do with it up until disaster struck.

Historically, I personally haven't had the time, the space (mental and physical), nor the means to be able to setup a reef tank so that I could have a small window of one of the tropical worlds in my home. That has changed recently and, after some discussions with my wife, have decided to take the plunge myself. My wife and I bought a house last year and we've renovated the basement to create a living area that can accommodate a tank and all the accoutrement that goes along with that. (I tend to think of it like a man-cave/entertainment mecca with my wife as the very exclusive interior designer. She uses antlers in all of her decorations.) We plan to work on this together merging our degrees to build a successful tank (or two). Being a self-proclaimed gear-head and semi-creative-type, there are some amazing opportunities to have technology, ingenuity, and creativity to help enhance the experience.

I plan to post a build thread once I can get things together, but am in the process of standing up a Pro Clear Prostar 150 Rimless V2. I’m sure I’ll be referencing this site in perpetuity as I continue my journey to the reefs of the ocean!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Moose.Jy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the money pit

Can't wait to see your build thread! As someone who also spent years in the books and dreaming about my own, finally pulling the trigger this year has really brought me alot of joy and I hope it does for you as well!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a couple of weeks ago and couldn't ever make the time to post something. Many apologies for the delay!

Not sure where to start... I've been interested in reefing for a long while now. I've always loved the water, especially the ocean and the vastly different worlds that call it home. My wife and I have snorkeled around reefs a couple of times and are both mesmerized and astonished by them. I’ve always wondered how hard it would be to have a piece of the ocean in our home.

I've been doing research for years on reef tanks, the ecosystems they support, and what's important in order to enjoy reefing as a hobby. This site has certainly come up quite a bit in that research and I thank everyone who contributes here as it has definitely provided some much needed guidance along my journey. To prepare myself with the proper patience for the hobby, I have kept various types of orchids (flowers) at home, which have a long and specific lifecycle that you need to encourage to help them bloom year after year. I very much enjoy the return on an investment (time, money, etc.) rather than the instant satisfaction of a single transaction. (Although I do keep African Violets as well, which do put on a show much more often.)

I love watching things grow and develop over time and to let nature show us what it has to offer. My brother has always been into freshwater tanks and I had been helping my sister and nephew with the 40 gallon bowfront they had inherited up until it gave up the ghost less than a year ago. I really enjoyed seeing what they were able to do with it up until disaster struck.

Historically, I personally haven't had the time, the space (mental and physical), nor the means to be able to setup a reef tank so that I could have a small window of one of the tropical worlds in my home. That has changed recently and, after some discussions with my wife, have decided to take the plunge myself. My wife and I bought a house last year and we've renovated the basement to create a living area that can accommodate a tank and all the accoutrement that goes along with that. (I tend to think of it like a man-cave/entertainment mecca with my wife as the very exclusive interior designer. She uses antlers in all of her decorations.) We plan to work on this together merging our degrees to build a successful tank (or two). Being a self-proclaimed gear-head and semi-creative-type, there are some amazing opportunities to have technology, ingenuity, and creativity to help enhance the experience.

I plan to post a build thread once I can get things together, but am in the process of standing up a Pro Clear Prostar 150 Rimless V2. I’m sure I’ll be referencing this site in perpetuity as I continue my journey to the reefs of the ocean!

Welcome! Glad you joined. My parent's 1st home when I was born was an apartment in Gaitersburg. Great town!

Exciting you are already considering starting your build thread! I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). No time is too soon!

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and I'm excited to follow a build thread of yours. I always enjoy reading threads from people who put together a well thought out and typed up build thread!

I believe success looks different for everyone and being happy with your tank is the best feeling. And certainly don't get easily discouraged, there will be ups and downs and positive change is the slowest to see. Good luck and we'll be here for you!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back