Long time lurker, first time poster (Pics and Live Stream for the community's relaxing pleasure)

TheRedBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
As the title indicates I've been browsing the threads here for years, but finally decided to jump in to the discussion.
I've been keeping saltwater tanks for years, starting with a predator tank in the 90s housed in a 40 breeder, upgrading to a 90 wave (front panel blew out), and eventually a 120 custom build.
I had a major crash this past spring and almost gave up the hobby. Long story short, a cheap ac interrupter switch I used for my mixing station transfer pump burned through and increased my salinity while I was out of town. Many lessons in redundancy were learned that week. I lost a 5 year tank in one day, with the exception of one miraculous Marshall island flame Angel and a single bubble tip anemone.
So what you see here is sadly very fresh.
While my equipment has evolved over the years, here's what I'm currently running:
2 red Sea reef led 90s on ends of tank, 2 red Sea led 50s split over center brace.
2 maxspect gyre 250s horizontally placed on either short end of tank
40 gallon sump with a 15 gallon fuge
Coralife turbotwist 12x running approx 250 gph
TLF phosphate reactor
TLF reactor modified for biopellets
BRS dual 300 watt titanium heaters on BRS temperature controller
3 jebao dosers for: alkalinity (BRS pharm), calcium (BRS pharm), magnesium (BRS pharm), red Sea reef energy a&b, red Sea Coral colors, fresh and salt water top off and nopox ( 2 ml/day to support biopellets).
Return pump is a skimz leopard (4200gph, powers everything through a custom manifold and return system I built).
aquaC EV 240 skimmer with IIwaki RL40 pressure pump
Cheap Amazon clamp on plant led for fuge
Monitor pH and ammonia with a seneye reef
I keep a live stream of my tank up on twitch, I usually put it up on the projector as my students take exams. Much more peaceful than a ticking clock (link below).
Currently the tank inhabitants are:
Roughly 55 species of Coral, SPS primarily, but some LPSand softies down low.
1 Marshall island flame Angel
1 yellow Tang (once he outgrows my current tank I already have a home for him)
5 pajama Cardinal fish
1 davinci false percula clown (female)
1 false percula clown (male)
1 algae blenny
2 (FAT) red scooter blennies
1 pistol shrimp (red and white)
3 peppermint shrimp (remarkably well behaved compared to past crews)
1 emerald crab
1 green BTA
2 Sally Lightfoot (lightfeet?)
About a dozen red and blue legged hermit crabs
About a dozen Trachus and turbo snails
**Edit. can't forget about my six line wrasse** :)
I keep alkalinity stable at 9.5dkh, calcium at 430, magnesium at 1550, iron at .15, iodine at. 06, potassium at 410 and salinity at 35ppt.
While crashes are obviously devastating, I'm happy to have some continuity between the two iterations of this tank.
If you want to see the live stream, here's the link: . I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any thoughts!
IMG_20191027_120256.jpg
IMG_20191027_115548.jpg
IMG_20190906_135024_02.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the thorough introduction - we’re glad you’re here!

OP
OP
TheRedBeardedReefer

TheRedBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, much appreciated. Yes, well, recovering really only applies to the BTA and the flame angel sadly. Most of what's in there is from the generosity of fellow reefers, and then trades, plus a few select purchases. Forgot to mention, I'm in Connecticut, land of the legendary Frag Farmers Market :)
Here's a few older pics of tank (about 2 years ago and with VERY weak true lumen pro LEDs), as well as the blown out panel on the 90 wave. Fortunately was able to save everything by quickly relocating to sump. What a day that was, cleaning sand off the ceiling.
IMAG0090.jpg
IMG_20160616_083252.jpg
IMG_20160712_113157.jpg

OP
OP
TheRedBeardedReefer

TheRedBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great writeup. You didn't mention it, what is your nitrate level?
Who reports Iron levels and doesn't mention nitrate and phosphate?
I keep em both as close to undetectable as possible. Nitrate never peaks above .25ppm (and usually flat zero) and I change out HC GFO once I see anything above zero on the hanna checker.
I also feed pretty heavy. 2 cubes of mysis per day, at least one cube of frozen fish eggs every other day, 1 krill every other day to my nem, and I broadcast feed a reef chili and paracoccous powder mix at least every other day, but frequently daily. I used to target feed with TLF Julian's Thing, but had a REALLY bad experience with it. I think it got a little clogged and the increased velocity stripped flesh off of a few montis and a chalice. My season's greetings is just about fully recovered finally.
I did go back to running filter socks recently, I change every 2-3 days when I clean my skimmer. I like the "idea" of no filter socks, but with about 2800 lph through the sump and the AquaC skimmer, the microbubbles were just too tough to deal with after the upgrade from a Mag 18. And that's with 3 baffles in the sump!

My philosophy is pretty simple: stability above all else, and it's easier to strip out EVERYTHING and add what you want, than it is to balance on the knife's edge of water changes.
I also run ROX .8 activated carbon in a fine mesh bag, forgot about that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back