Long toothbrush handle for cleaning?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that it's kind of a silly question, but I haven't found a solution yet. A regular toothbrush for my small 4.8g tank works super well for cleaning my plexiglass, given that it's nylon and I can control the pressure. However, the handle is way too short. Does anyone know of a long handle toothbrush or a way to extend the handle? I don't like displacing the water by shoving my hand in, haha.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is always a good idea to keep your hands out of the tank if possible. I'm sure that there is a application specific option, but have you thought about supergluing a toothbrush handle to something?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always a good idea to keep your hands out of the tank if possible. I'm sure that there is a application specific option, but have you thought about supergluing a toothbrush handle to something?
Oh right, contaminants from the hand such as soap residue, creams, etc. Great point.

I think with the pressure I would be applying when scrubbing, a chemical bond might be too weak. If I could maybe find something to drill through the toothbrush and screw on as a mechanical bond, I think that could work. I'm just not sure what to use yet as the extended handle though.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a piece of acrylic or fiberglass rod. I've used wooden dowel rod and zip ties before since it didn't stay in the water long. Maybe even something like a small pvc pipe that you can shove the handle into?

EDIT : I used and old driveway marker to make my algae scrubber. 38 inches long so no more standing on a ladder
PXL_20240526_140343472.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right, contaminants from the hand such as soap residue, creams, etc. Great point.

I think with the pressure I would be applying when scrubbing, a chemical bond might be too weak. If I could maybe find something to drill through the toothbrush and screw on as a mechanical bond, I think that could work. I'm just not sure what to use yet as the extended handle though.

Can you find an plastic/acrylic/PVC tube that you could jam the end of the toothbrush into?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of you have a great idea! I could pick up some PVC piping, shove the toothbrush in there, drill a hole through both, and bolt them together. Great idea all!

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always a good idea to keep your hands out of the tank if possible. I'm sure that there is an application specific option, but have you thought about supergluing a toothbrush handle to something?
I am horrible about keeping my hands out of the tank…….

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back