Long Vacation

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planing on starting a new saltwater aquarium for the first time, I have done a lot of research and it seems the hobby needs weekly if not daily maintenance once the tank is established. I will most likely get Red Sea 350 with the sump but nothing like monitoring system or dosing system yet. And Plan on having fish, invertebrates and some beginner corals in the tank. Now My concern is what do I do when I need to take a vacation far away out of the country? let’s say about 5-6 weeks vacation or maybe even 2 months. I have neighbors who can feed the fishes, but don’t know the basics of reef keeping such as water changes, checking parameters, cleaning filters or skimmer etc. so with that being said; What are things I need to prepare before leaving in terms of equipments or if there’s options out there where I can hire someone to do the maintenance for me. My first post here, so I hope I can get some help. Any advice or suggestions is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planing on starting a new saltwater aquarium for the first time, I have done a lot of research and it seems the hobby needs weekly if not daily maintenance once the tank is established. I will most likely get Red Sea 350 with the sump but nothing like monitoring system or dosing system yet. And Plan on having fish, invertebrates and some beginner corals in the tank. Now My concern is what do I do when I need to take a vacation far away out of the country? let’s say about 5-6 weeks vacation or maybe even 2 months. I have neighbors who can feed the fishes, but don’t know the basics of reef keeping such as water changes, checking parameters, cleaning filters or skimmer etc. so with that being said; What are things I need to prepare before leaving in terms of equipments or if there’s options out there where I can hire someone to do the maintenance for me. My first post here, so I hope I can get some help. Any advice or suggestions is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That's a good question. For short term, you can automate things, or bring a neighbor in, but for up to 2 months, a lot can go wrong that requires attention. I suppose you could use an aquarium maintenance service (they would have to be bonded, since they would be going into your house). NYC should have tons of aquarium maintenance services.

I've heard of these folks, but I bet they are costly:

Maybe you could join a local marine aquarium club and see if there are members that could "fish sit" for you?

Jay

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want strangers in your house... doing a deuce in your bathroom. It's just wrong...

Only way to fly is a 1) well trained family member, 2) wyze cams to be viewed anywhere from your phone, 3) apex system setup for just about every maintenance item.

Family members care bc they have to see you at every Holiday and don't want the SHAME and EMBARRASSMENT of a Fail

Family members should also be paid $50/week either in cash or giftcards.. Can't afford it? Sell your tank and take up a Stamp Collection

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back