Longest you’ve ever gone without a water change

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is a 75 and my sump holds maybe 35 gallons and has 100 pound of rock in it I would guess.

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is a 75 and my sump holds maybe 35 gallons and has 100 pound of rock in it I would guess.
That’s a decent amount Protein skimmer GFO I’m guessing all in the tank

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 months and then disaster struck.
Everything was fine until it wasn't!
When it wasn't everything happened very quickly, once the first die off started it was like a plague broke out.
You might get away with this if the Bioload is low and the Fish and Corals are hardy but I would never recommend anyone go down this road.

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 months and then disaster struck.
Everything was fine until it wasn't!
When it wasn't everything happened very quickly, once the first die off started it was like a plague broke out.
You might get away with this if the Bioload is low and the Fish and Corals are hardy but I would never recommend anyone go down this road.
Did you test the water at the time to see what your parameters were?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a decent amount Protein skimmer GFO I’m guessing all in the tank
I don't use GFO - it makes a mess and I despise cleaning out reactors, etc.
I toss in a chemipure elite once on a while. I don't think they are magic. It is just convenient way to run and dispose of carbon and whatever tiny bit of GFO is in the bag.
I do run a skimmer now, an external Reef Octpus Regal 150-ext

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I have not done water change since last Mother’s Day, being I started running a algae scrubber around last March so there’s really no need for me to do any water change off I have to do is dose accordingly, but I have noticed during this time Is that my tank got very stable and I’ve had some of the best growth I’ve ever had in all my years of reefing, looking back at it now I could see that all, so I was doing with all those water changes was causing swings in all of my parameters, I know this is been a long time ongoing debate about water changes I can personally see for myself that doing no water changes is much better after all

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say you do them as frequently as you do as part of your filtration system? I’m guessing you have protein, skimmers, GFO etc.
Not 100% sure what you are asking here, but yes, I have skimmers on both systems. My large FOWLR runs on a canister filter and a HOB skimmer, while my reef has a ReefMat 1200 and a Red Sea skimmer.

No GFO on either system, but I do run Chemipure on my FOWLR and carbon in my reef.

I only do a 5% water change every 2 weeks in my reef and every 4 weeks in my FOWLR. Mostly for detritus siphoning purposes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the longest any of you have gone without a water change either intentional or you just forgot?

After the early days, it was never more than a few hours between changes.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nearly enough pics in this thread - particularly from the folks that have not done water changes for very long periods of time. Let’s see those tanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back