Longnose Hawkfish Compatibility

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about adding a longnose hawkfish with a goby pair and candy cane pistol shrimp. Note I don’t have either hawkfish or goby/shrimp yet. I don’t know if I would have to decide between the two or if both would work. I’m guessing the gobies would be fine, but what about the shrimp? The tank is a 93 cube.

Thanks!

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longnose hawkfish is pretty much compatible with everything in my experience. Model citizen...

If you get one, it may only eat frozen initially...but mine took a liking to pellets after about 2 weeks... ymmv

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sundog. I had a longnose ,very cool &interesting fish. it did munch on the "small hermits & snails. I mean pretty small ones. How big is a candycane shrimp? That's what I'd worry about ,it's legs & such mostly.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of pistol shrimp and goby pair do you have? If it's a tiger pistol shrimp and some watchman gobies then I wouldn't be too concerned. If it is a peppermint pistol shrimp I would be concerned because they are super tiny and would make a decent snack for the longnose hawkfish eventually, even if the gobies are helping it by keeping a lookout.

Edit: saw the candy cane shrimp reference, my bad haha. Yea I wouldn't be surprised if the hawkfish eventually starts to go after it. Mine goes after my tiger pistol shrimp every once in a while but my pistol shrimp is big enough to scare the hawkfish off pretty easily.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longnose hawkfish pair doesn't bother any inverts or any small fish that were in the tank before them. They did attack a royal gramma that was added after them and a bartlett's anthias (again added after). The royal gramma died. The anthias holds his own against them and they can't catch him.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to barge in, but is the longnose generally less aggressive with more peaceful tankmates (ie: jawfish, pink streak wrasse, spot tail?), than a flamehawk or about the same?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposed to be less aggressive than a flamehawk but I have no direct experience with a flamehawk.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both and flamehawk was much less aggressive!
They are such wonderful fish, highly recommend long nose!

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longnose was a model citizen. I would add it after the shrimp though just in case though.

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey dont mean to open an old thread but is there anyway I'd be able to introduce the candy cane pistol second? or am I just SOL? any tips or tricks? Want to add one for my Goby

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp would be pretty small and I think the hawk could pretty easily eat him. Just didnt know if like introducing at night or temporarily moving hawk to quarantine would give the shrimp a few hours to settle in

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back