Longnose Hawkfish Compatibility

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by sundog101, Jan 2, 2018.

1. sundog101

sundog101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

What do you think about adding a longnose hawkfish with a goby pair and candy cane pistol shrimp. Note I don’t have either hawkfish or goby/shrimp yet. I don’t know if I would have to decide between the two or if both would work. I’m guessing the gobies would be fine, but what about the shrimp? The tank is a 93 cube.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. MCooper

MCooper MCooper R2R Supporter

I have had a longnose hawk and goby/pistol combo for 1 year no issues. They are some of the only that have survived my massive tank death.

sundog101 and cracker like this.
  3. NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

The longnose hawkfish is pretty much compatible with everything in my experience. Model citizen...

If you get one, it may only eat frozen initially...but mine took a liking to pellets after about 2 weeks... ymmv

sundog101 likes this.
  4. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Hello Sundog. I had a longnose ,very cool &interesting fish. it did munch on the "small hermits & snails. I mean pretty small ones. How big is a candycane shrimp? That's what I'd worry about ,it's legs & such mostly.

sundog101 likes this.
  5. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

What type of pistol shrimp and goby pair do you have? If it's a tiger pistol shrimp and some watchman gobies then I wouldn't be too concerned. If it is a peppermint pistol shrimp I would be concerned because they are super tiny and would make a decent snack for the longnose hawkfish eventually, even if the gobies are helping it by keeping a lookout.

Edit: saw the candy cane shrimp reference, my bad haha. Yea I wouldn't be surprised if the hawkfish eventually starts to go after it. Mine goes after my tiger pistol shrimp every once in a while but my pistol shrimp is big enough to scare the hawkfish off pretty easily.

sundog101 likes this.
  6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Expert Contributor Partner Member

Get the shrimp and gobies first, the longnose should be fine.

sundog101 and Maritimer like this.
  7. puffy127

puffy127 Well-Known Member

My longnose hawkfish pair doesn't bother any inverts or any small fish that were in the tank before them. They did attack a royal gramma that was added after them and a bartlett's anthias (again added after). The royal gramma died. The anthias holds his own against them and they can't catch him.

sundog101 likes this.
  8. joec

joec Active Member

Don't mean to barge in, but is the longnose generally less aggressive with more peaceful tankmates (ie: jawfish, pink streak wrasse, spot tail?), than a flamehawk or about the same?

9. puffy127

puffy127 Well-Known Member

Supposed to be less aggressive than a flamehawk but I have no direct experience with a flamehawk.

10. MCooper

I have had both and flamehawk was much less aggressive!
    They are such wonderful fish, highly recommend long nose!

11. VietExtender

VietExtender Member Partner Member 2018

My longnose was a model citizen. I would add it after the shrimp though just in case though.

12. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Expert Contributor Partner Member

I have found flame and longnose to be comparable.

13. money88

money88 Member

hey dont mean to open an old thread but is there anyway I'd be able to introduce the candy cane pistol second? or am I just SOL? any tips or tricks? Want to add one for my Goby

14. MCooper

I think you can, but all depends on size maybe???

15. eatbreakfast

Very dependant on size of tank, hawk, and shrimp.

16. money88

money88 Member

Shrimp would be pretty small and I think the hawk could pretty easily eat him. Just didnt know if like introducing at night or temporarily moving hawk to quarantine would give the shrimp a few hours to settle in

Draft saved Draft deleted