Lonnie's Reef (New Build)

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I am in the right Spot for this. Actually I started my build several weeks ago. I bought a 180 Gallon Custom Tank. It is an older tank and older sump. I decided to do a new sump and some additional plumbing. It was a Closed Loop System, but I am going to change it up. This will involve drilling the tank at the top for returns. And I will change out the plumbing used for the closed loop and re-purpose it for a reef tank. I have pretty much decided on equipment and a sump. It will take a little bit of time to gather everything, but I am taking it slow. I also have a 55 Gallon that I will transfer and decommission at the appropriate time. I already have some of the materials for aquascaping, but I am still gathering ideas for final positioning.

I will post photos soon.

Another important factor in this build is the name. I have named it in Honor of my best friend (besides my wife) who died from Bone Marrow Cancer a few months after he graduated High School. Rest in Peace - Lonnie.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I am in the right Spot for this. Actually I started my build several weeks ago. I bought a 180 Gallon Custom Tank. It is an older tank and older sump. I decided to do a new sump and some additional plumbing. It was a Closed Loop System, but I am going to change it up. This will involve drilling the tank at the top for returns. And I will change out the plumbing used for the closed loop and re-purpose it for a reef tank. I have pretty much decided on equipment and a sump. It will take a little bit of time to gather everything, but I am taking it slow. I also have a 55 Gallon that I will transfer and decommission at the appropriate time. I already have some of the materials for aquascaping, but I am still gathering ideas for final positioning.

I will post photos soon.

Another important factor in this build is the name. I have named it in Honor of my best friend (besides my wife) who died from Bone Marrow Cancer a few months after he graduated High School. Rest in Peace - Lonnie.
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a great tribute to your friend.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another Item, I want to upgrade. I want to look at upgrading the lighting in my sump area. Being new to reefing, I don't know what type of lighting for this area. I have 2 AI Primes for the tank as well as a T5 setup ( I still have to check out the t5 setup). Any comments or recommendations for the Sump Lighting would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really starting to get tired of lugging around 80 to 100 lbs of water every week (at thats for my 55 G) - So Please I am going to look for an ATO and hopefully the way this works I can add/change water directly to/from the Sump - I know that probably really basic question, but I am still new at this. So any suggestions for an ATO (Large Capacity) would be Appreciated!

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil h380 if it's in your budget for the sump

If looking for something cheaper then par 38 grow led

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I take a look in a little bit. I also need to get some Ideas of what I need to eventually try an grow in there (got the equipment identified).

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I take a look in a little bit. I also need to get some Ideas of what I need to eventually try an grow in there (got the equipment identified).

To grow chaetomorpha you just need light and water flow, no special equipment really needed, just a spot in the sump. I have some chaeto that I'd be willing to give when you are ready

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to think about Aquascaping. I have approx 38 lbs of LR in my 55 Gallon I will use to seed my new aquascape. I have approx 53 lbs of dry rock (including selves for corals), but I need some recommendations on good epoxy putty (whatever i need) to hold my rock together - I have plenty of ideas, but I don't know what holds up well under water. Comments suggestions are appreciated.

Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to start the aquascaping this weekend. I have approx 38 lbs of LR in my 55 Gallon I will use to seed my new aquascape. I have approx 53 lbs of dry rock (including shelves for corals), but I need some recommendations on good epoxy putty to hold my rock together - I have plenty of ideas, but I don't know what holds up well under water. Comments and or suggestions are appreciated.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have ordered the various parts that I need to do the Sump and the Tank. I have 3/4 of the Rock, getting ready to order the sand. I have to clean the T5 Light. Come up with a Light for the sump and work on the door hinges for the base. Wife wants to clean the carpet where the tank will go. (I need to watch the skimmate from the protein skimmer). I will post an equipment list later (maybe this evening).

- I should be able to finish the layout for the aquascaping this weekend.
- I estimate about 2-3 Weeks for the get wet date.
- I have decided on the equipment and have ordered it.

I am starting to think about my QT/Hospital Tank. I have a extra 20 Gallon as well as a HOB. I can get a piece or two of PVC. But am not really sure how these work. But then again I have some time before I put fish/corals in the new 180 DT. SO when the time comes I will be asking for tips on preparing/using my QT/Hospital Tank.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things:

1) I just got another box of rocks from BRS (Supposed to be my coral plates - I'll find out and continue aquascaping when I open the box later today)

2) I need suggestions for a CUC for a 180 Gallon.

Here is my Livestock list so far:

- 2-3 Emerald Crabs
- 2 Clownfish
- 1 pygmy angelfish
- 1 Cardinal
- 4 Zoas
- 1 Acan
- 1 Toarch
- Fancy Chalice

* At some point in the future, I will probably include a wrasse (or 2) for flatworm control and maybe 1 or 2 Tang (Yellow). Maybe even an Anemone (much later) yes, I would like the clowns to host, but if they don't that ok too. Does anyone have any ideas for a good CUC?

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a long last I have ordered my equipment:

- Reef Octopus Reef Octopus VarioS DC - 2700 GPH (Wanted to go with something a bit bigger than necessary - ability to vary flow on pump and possible upgrade later)
- Reef Octopus Classic 202-S 8" Internal Protein Skimmer

I am working on the aquascape but I need a few more pieces. I'll post pics soon the equipment should be in a week or so.

I am still looking for ideas on a good cleanup-crew. Also at what point during cycling do i introduce a cleanup crew? My Last cleanup crew was a fire shrimp and a sand sifting goby - The Shrimp died and the Goby is MIA presumed dead (although a body has NEVER been found - He has been missing for just about a month now).

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Every thing is wet. Still a few kinks to work out:
- Redo Doors (Sand, Glue Rubber Inside)
- Noise Baffle
- Get RO Tank redone
and my favorite
- Cable Management

Oh, yeah - the Tank has been cycling for a week now
- 180 Gallon Tank (60 x 24 x 29 inches) - Peninsula Tank
- 120 lbs of Dry Sand
- 40 lbs of Live Sand
- 15 lbs of Live Rock (approx)

Will Post Pics Soon. I would enjoy knowing what you guys think.

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need some input on Lighting - thought about Kessils and AI primes - like the idea of full spectrum, but don't know if Kessils or the AI Primes are right

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post an update on my Build for Lonnie's Reef: the tanks has been running for almost 2.5 years. It has been a leaning experience. Everything from Coral and Fish Loss to Algae Issues, but I think I might have a better grasp on things. At this point I have decided to update (improve) the aquascape. I am almost finished with what I came up with. The idea here will be to replace part of the aquascape (If I could start over and it was in the budget, I would). But I think I came up with a good compromise. The new aquascape will include arches and caves for my fish and a somewhat more open feel so fish can swim through and have a place to hide.

I will post some photos later (kind of difficult as 30 of the 'scape in in the tank and 70% is on my living room floor. The next steps as I see this is:

- Complete assembly of the Aquascape and Glue (using BRS Extra Thick Super Glue with their Instaset)
- Mix Saltwater for Tub in Garage where Aquascape will Cure
- Place Aquascape in Tub and fill with Saltwater (also Replace for Evaporation) +Add Wave Maker (Heater not Needed as is beginning of Summer here in Phoenix.
- Add Appropriate Amount of Microbacter7 (Dose as necessary)
- At end of week - Water Test
- Replace any water lost due to evap.
- At end of Week 2 - 20% Water Change
- Repeat Maint. of Week 1
- Same for Week 3 and Week 4
- Test for Ammonia and other Critical Factors for integration in to Main Tank
- Get Help to Remove Canopy and Light Rail (Ask wife to Clean LED Lights - I have already mentioned this)
- Remove Live Rock that will be replaced by new Aquascape
- Clean Sand
- Clear Areas of Sand for Foundation Rock for aquascape
- Remove approx 35 Gallons of Water (Disconnect ATO and Main Pump)
- Add New Aquascape (Watch for Existing Livestock)
- Slowly Add Fresh Saltwater to Main Tank and Sump
- Rehome Corals from 55 Gallon Tank to be retired
- Change Socks
- Clean Protein Skimmer
- Plug in ATO
- Rehome Fish from 55 Gallon Tank Mentioned Above (I have already rehome the bully fish that I had) - Drip Fish
- Replace Canopy and Light Rail (Check Programming)
- Water Test
- Clean Up
- Collapse & Enjoy (order dinner that night) :)

Next Day

- Feed Corals
- Frozen Feed Fish

Since it is summer in Phoenix: Orders for replacement of CUC by mail are suspended until November when it gets below 90. (We have already had 100 degrees and I order CUC and it was delivered in that heat - some died.

Please let me know your thoughts on my plan (I hope I have not forgotten anything), but please comments are welcome.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a plan to me a d welcome back! Any photos?

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos will be in the future as my daughters graduation from High School today. Also part of the aquascape in in the Rank and Active and part of it is on my living room floor. It will not all be in one place for a month.

I do and would appreciate any advice for gluing acquascape under water (there about two pieces that will need to be glued under water - One Arch and 1 foundation footing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back