Looking for a elegant mesh aquarium top - whatcha got?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a euro-braced 150g mixed reef. I use cooling fans across the top as one aspect of temperature control. Consequently I have a mesh top, currently a DIY "window screen" type mesh top - it's a little scraggly looking. :)

If I can find a better looking mesh top I'd like to replace it - purely for aesthetics. Does anyone have any recommendations for a mesh top that looks nice?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a euro-braced 150g mixed reef. I use cooling fans across the top as one aspect of temperature control. Consequently I have a mesh top, currently a DIY "window screen" type mesh top - it's a little scraggly looking. :)

If I can find a better looking mesh top I'd like to replace it - purely for aesthetics. Does anyone have any recommendations for a mesh top that looks nice?

Thanks!
Just found toplids.com. They look pretty sharp. Anyone have one?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a mesh top but I do have a lid from toplids and another one on the way. They look very cool and are well made.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2mm clear acrylic laser cut that sits nicely on the top ov the tank. I put a 1.5 carbon fibre tube in the centre for rigidity and it works like a treat. only cost USD$6 and if i were to buy the clear mesh, the mesh alone was over $20 here

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 114

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Clearview lid is pretty nice. Good solid construction and they can customize it to your liking. It's pricey and takes a month to receive

Attachments

• 20220717_215000.jpg
    20220717_215000.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 115

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clearview lid with feed doors and inserts that I love. I have a 3 pc lid set up. Middle is the mesh. The 2 ends I have the inserts in to keep splashing down (my controller boards on mounted on wall next to each end of tank). Love them. Well worth the price. this pic doesn't show the inserts
20220207_195211.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a post a few days ago where someone 3d printed a custom frame for his mesh top. Looks REALLY slick!! I may look into something like that for myself.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea DIY, I am really happy with the quality. I have a few tanks currently ranging from 6g to 40g. Initially I was going to do the window screen frame route for cost effectiveness, but I figured out If I buy the biggest kit, I could do all my tanks for much cheaper. I also, because I was going to do window screen frames, I picked up a 100 ft. long roll of 1/4 netting in black. I used that with the Red Sea kit instead of their clear netting. The black netting just becomes almost invisible.
I know you have a bigger tank, so you probably would use the big kit. I am glad I went that way instead of the screen frame route, it is just so much more heavy duty because the frame is extruded aluminum.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea DIY, I am really happy with the quality. I have a few tanks currently ranging from 6g to 40g. Initially I was going to do the window screen frame route for cost effectiveness, but I figured out If I buy the biggest kit, I could do all my tanks for much cheaper. I also, because I was going to do window screen frames, I picked up a 100 ft. long roll of 1/4 netting in black. I used that with the Red Sea kit instead of their clear netting. The black netting just becomes almost invisible.
I know you have a bigger tank, so you probably would use the big kit. I am glad I went that way instead of the screen frame route, it is just so much more heavy duty because the frame is extruded aluminum.
I started with this kit for my 3xl900. We did 2 pieces and everytime I had to move the lid to access the overflow it was a pain as they are flimsy at that size without a bracing in the center. The clear view is in 3 pcs so all I have to do is remove the center or slide it to one side. I don't regret starting with the rs diy as start up costs were high but going a acrylic/mesh was a much better permanent decision.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with this kit for my 3xl900. We did 2 pieces and everytime I had to move the lid to access the overflow it was a pain as they are flimsy at that size without a bracing in the center. The clear view is in 3 pcs so all I have to do is remove the center or slide it to one side. I don't regret starting with the rs diy as start up costs were high but going a acrylic/mesh was a much better permanent decision.
Interesting, The kit I bought came with center bracing, not that I needed it for my application. I was thinking about it as a DIY kit and using it for my specifications. my 40 is approximately 2 ft. square and the screen I built for it is pretty rigid. I think, if I would’ve made a RS lid for a 6 ft. tank, it would be in 3 pieces. The thing I worry about acrylic, is the warp factor and it reflects light. The lids I make are pretty much invisible, which I feel, is keeping with the vision of a rimless tank. But the OP has a euro braced tank, so only semi-rimless. I can see both sides; A mesh screen top done right - "amazing", one built Janky, its just Ehh. So then I can understand the nice acrylic machined top.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, The kit I bought came with center bracing, not that I needed it for my application. I was thinking about it as a DIY kit and using it for my specifications. my 40 is approximately 2 ft. square and the screen I built for it is pretty rigid. I think, if I would’ve made a RS lid for a 6 ft. tank, it would be in 3 pieces. The thing I worry about acrylic, is the warp factor and it reflects light. The lids I make are pretty much invisible, which I feel, is keeping with the vision of a rimless tank. But the OP has a euro braced tank, so only semi-rimless. I can see both sides; A mesh screen top done right - "amazing", one built Janky, its just Ehh. So then I can understand the nice acrylic machined top.
I don't know if mine did. if it did, we didn't use it as it would block light. The clearview lids are made very well and no warp and the acrylic is around the edge. I prob. lose some light using the inserts but everything is growing well. I also clean them. I am going to be putting some higher end acros under 1 so will measure my par with and without.

For the diy mesh lids, there are feed door cutout you can add. I think I got mine from BRS

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for diy mesh lids

fire.starter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2mm clear acrylic laser cut that sits nicely on the top ov the tank. I put a 1.5 carbon fibre tube in the centre for rigidity and it works like a treat. only cost USD$6 and if i were to buy the clear mesh, the mesh alone was over $20 here
Where did you find this?

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find this?
I found a guy that has a machine in Denpasar. I just measured it up and put the dimensions of the spacings I wanted...He then input it and cut it. It is 3mm not 2mm and I am very happy with it. I would suggest ringing around and try to find a small shop that does this. I also had all the panels cut for the AIO sump out of 5mm black.

Attachments

• IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 96

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back