Looking for a Powerhead.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a new (or old) powerhead and I can't find one. I have 3 of these and they are at least 40 years old. They never needed any maintenance except occasionally sticking my finger in the intake screen to clean out amphipod shells, Godzilla larvae and bristleworms. They work forever and are powerful.

I really hate those Korilas and all the powerheads with that stupid open plastic grill because that thing grows so much life that in a few years you need a demolition hammer to clean the thing and you have to remove it to clean all the time. It's just a stupid design but probably good for goldfish. :rolleyes:

I think these were made by Tunze.
If I could find something Not made in China, that would be a big plus. :cool:

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a new (or old) powerhead and I can't find one. I have 3 of these and they are at least 40 years old. They never needed any maintenance except occasionally sticking my finger in the intake screen to clean out amphipod shells, Godzilla larvae and bristleworms. They work forever and are powerful.

I really hate those Korilas and all the powerheads with that stupid open plastic grill because that thing grows so much life that in a few years you need a demolition hammer to clean the thing and you have to remove it to clean all the time. It's just a stupid design but probably good for goldfish. :rolleyes:

I think these were made by Tunze.
If I could find something Not made in China, that would be a big plus. :cool:

That looks a good bit like an aquaclear powerhead... I believe their Italian made.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one's I've personally seen in this style is made by marineland

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats OK, so was my Grand Parents. :cool:

Crabs, not much circulation in those. I would like about 700 gallons.
I see in the description it says flow rate 295GPH, but circulation flow rate is 1300gph, i'm not sure what that means or what the difference is?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price I would think that means 295 GPH which is about as strong as my electric toothbrush. I don't want to brush my fishes teeth. I want to wash the teeth out of their mouth. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the Supermodel with the paddle and I have a call into Christie Brinley as she lives near here, but I have not heard back from her. I was also going to use my 2 1/2 HP outboard motor but my wife frowns on the noise and the fumes.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks kinda like a maxijet...

check these out

J.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks a good bit like an aquaclear powerhead... I believe their Italian made.

+1

I agree that it appears to be a Hagen Aquaclear. They used to have model numbers like 301, 401, etc. and now it’s 30, 40, etc.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely the older style Aqua Clear powerheads; we used them extensively in the fish store I worked in 20 years ago; there were 4 or 5 sizes, and you are correct, they ran almost flawlessly for years with little to no maintenance.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still have Hagen Aquaclears I use from 1989-90. Today I mainly use them on QT tanks or for mixing salt.

I initially used them on a pump controller made by Sandpoint which still works too.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for about 700 GPH, that one is a little small. Mine still work, Impeller is good) I have a bunch of Korilia types, but they are to much maintenance and cleaning is hard.

I just want more water movement.
Yes, that is a film canister I use for a strainer. I have a case of them left and I use them for everything, except film. :cool:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for about 700 GPH, that one is a little small. Mine still work, Impeller is good) I have a bunch of Korilia types, but they are to much maintenance and cleaning is hard.

I just want more water movement.
Yes, that is a film canister I use for a strainer. I have a case of them left and I use them for everything, except film. :cool:

I am not sure you will get a power head that big.. You would be more into a circulation pump like a
Sicce Syncra Silent 3.5 or Mag drive 7 or 8.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back