0   0   0
Maybe I will use my outboard motor. ;Wideyed

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700 gph is high for that design of pump, did you ever measure it's power? you might be overestimating here, even with decades of experience ;)

this is the closest you can get IMHO, it's the most powerful cobalt built of that design, its 300 GPH

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go @Paul B

made in italy, 400 GPH

1566249412079.png

1566249427079.png

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t find the details but I thought that the Hagen aquaclear 901 was renamed to the 110 and had a higher gph rating than the 701 or 802.. It was discontinued as a powerhead but the motor is still used on the Aquaclear 110 HOB filter. Additionally I thought that there was a powerhead adapter available for the 110 motor. I haven’t been able to verify this info so it could have come from a pizza-induced dream!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one. Some off brand name probably made by a 5 year old out of bamboo and eggplant skins as it was so cheap I am sure the cord is insulated with wood. It is supposed to pump 550 GPH but they also have 700 and 850 gallons. I am sure that movement is way overstated but if it runs for a week, it is worth it. :oops:

You just can't get the old, good stuff any more no matter what you spend. It's all junk. :p

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not near as well made as the ones you’ve had for ages but found a couple in the style you were looking for in the flow rate you want.
Both made by Aquaneat and sold in eBay

95D6A9A0-0E6F-42BA-B808-802BCF76B556.png 7F0B281E-6F37-43D9-9728-BD44B7BDCB1D.png 18C59378-1346-4694-952B-5C553166A2A3.png 181DEBA4-EA97-4E0A-A6D0-A29561C3B812.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw those. The one on the left got horrible reviews.
But I got something and will see if it works.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe there aren't companies that can make good products for people who don't mind paying five times as much for something that will last 5 times longer. It's like my boat. I have to replace the manifolds because with a boat, they only last about 7 or 8 years and cost about a thousand bucks. So charge me two thousand bucks and make it out of stainless steel or Un optainium (like Captain America's shield) I wouldn't have to change it in like forever and the manufacturer can still get their money. But you can't get it because they are all made in China out of wood and melted down 8 track tapes.

I want good American products but can not get them at any price. I hate cheap junk. ;Sour
The one I bought is very cheap and it won't last a week. Then I will throw it out and fill up the landfill.

I invented and the Majano Wand and went crazy trying to find factories in the US to make the parts. There are none. The power supply I think is made in India. That was the closest place to the US I could find that makes a power supply. Like really!!.

The thing is manufactured in Florida but everyone thinks I am crazy because China, India and (God Forbid) Viet nam is cheaper.

The thing sells for about $114.00 and if it was made in China it would be about $112.00. I can't see how I would build it there. It is manufactured in a factory that makes heart valves so I know the place is good. And I am sure, clean. ;Smuggrin
But I keep getting offers from overseas.

By the way, I don't own the business, someone else does. I just own the patent. :cool:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe there aren't companies that can make good products for people who don't mind paying five times as much for something that will last 5 times longer. It's like my boat. I have to replace the manifolds because with a boat, they only last about 7 or 8 years and cost about a thousand bucks. So charge me two thousand bucks and make it out of stainless steel or Un optainium (like Captain America's shield) I wouldn't have to change it in like forever and the manufacturer can still get their money. But you can't get it because they are all made in China out of wood and melted down 8 track tapes.

I want good American products but can not get them at any price. I hate cheap junk. ;Sour
The one I bought is very cheap and it won't last a week. Then I will throw it out and fill up the landfill.

I invented and the Majano Wand and went crazy trying to find factories in the US to make the parts. There are none. The power supply I think is made in India. That was the closest place to the US I could find that makes a power supply. Like really!!.

The thing is manufactured in Florida but everyone thinks I am crazy because China, India and (God Forbid) Viet nam is cheaper.

The thing sells for about $114.00 and if it was made in China it would be about $112.00. I can't see how I would build it there. It is manufactured in a factory that makes heart valves so I know the place is good. And I am sure, clean. ;Smuggrin
But I keep getting offers from overseas.

By the way, I don't own the business, someone else does. I just own the patent. :cool:

I don't know sir... There are the Cobalt Aquatics and the Aqua Clear both made in Europe... It seems like you can buy them or you can not, know what I mean? But I do agree in general that Chinese-made goods flooding the States for the past many decades have not necessarily increased everyone's quality of life. Afterall, are we just "used" to disposables now, whereas it would have been cheaper and less-hassle in the long run to buy a quality product (with good quality control) ?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old ones are decades old and will probably run for more decades as they don't look like they will stop soon. They require no maintenance and corals don't grow inside them like the open grill types. You can't clean that stuff out unless you soak it in acid for a month or so.

I can find knock offs of the old ones, but no where near the same thing.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats OK, so was my Grand Parents. :cool:

Crabs, not much circulation in those. I would like about 700 gallons.
That is 1250 for circulating your tank.. However it is a very narrow flow. The 265 is if you use it like a return pump.. I agree, I have 4 of these I bought in the 80's Love em.. Also, to clean, you can use a bottle brush.. or maybe I am barking and nobody hears me ..

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you and agree. They are great. (why wouldn't I hear you? I have excellent hearing. ) I don't need a return pump because I have no sump. They were not invented when I started my tank. :cool:

I use the narrow flow powerheads but I have 4 of them in my reef so they do a good job of circulating the water.

The open grill ones with the exposed propeller certainly move a lot of water, but too many tube worms grow in them and mine get clogged with those and brittlestars. :p

Jackson, I bought that thing on the right of the picture you posted. It looks weird and too cheap but I will see how it works. It is 550 GPH which is what I want and the only one I could find with that GPH. If it's no good, I will use it to put behind my tire of my car when I work on it. ;Wideyed

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found three working ones. If I look long enough in my house I can find anything. But I fixed the crack in one and ordered another one so I should be good. :cool:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price I would think that means 295 GPH which is about as strong as my electric toothbrush. I don't want to brush my fishes teeth. I want to wash the teeth out of their mouth. :rolleyes:
if you want to blow out their teeth then why not an MJ 1200 with the algae free sureflow conversion
1566336877084.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was Christy too busy?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cobalt and maxijet . Maxijet has been around forever

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If wavemaker: current loop, koralia, zoo med and nero 5

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back