Looking for an opinion

AXBROWN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Rubbermaid 150 yesterday, new, and I know there is some questionability concerning the leakage of the stock bulkheads.

Well I tightened it down nice and tight, put a decent amount of Teflon tape on the plug and tightened that down as well, then filled it up about 75% of the way for a leak test. It has now been about 19 hours, and from what I can tell there is no leak.

So my question is, in your opinion, is this a good enough leak test to go ahead and begin using it for my system? Or is there anything anyone else suggests I do differently to reinforce the seal?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased a Rubbermaid 150 yesterday, new, and I know there is some questionability concerning the leakage of the stock bulkheads.

Well I tightened it down nice and tight, put a decent amount of Teflon tape on the plug and tightened that down as well, then filled it up about 75% of the way for a leak test. It has now been about 19 hours, and from what I can tell there is no leak.

So my question is, in your opinion, is this a good enough leak test to go ahead and begin using it for my system? Or is there anything anyone else suggests I do differently to reinforce the seal?
If the seal is going to be 'under pressure' - I would run it under that pressure for a couple days. If it is not under pressure - I would still give it a little more time.

OP
OP
A

AXBROWN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By under pressure I’m assuming you mean at my intended sump level? If so it is, but perhaps I will fill it even more just to put it to the test

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By under pressure I’m assuming you mean at my intended sump level? If so it is, but perhaps I will fill it even more just to put it to the test
No - I meant - will it be an inflow or an outflow. an outflow will have more pressure than an inflow

OP
OP
A

AXBROWN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I meant - will it be an inflow or an outflow. an outflow will have more pressure than an inflow
I am not using it with a pump, I am keeping it plugged. Using submersible pumps for returns

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not using it with a pump, I am keeping it plugged. Using submersible pumps for returns
Oh ok - then what is it for? (I mean if it's plugged) - in any case - if there is only pressure from the water inside the tank- on the bulkhead I would give it a good 48 hours.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine never leaked and I never touched it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apologies - I was under the impression you DRILLED a new hole - and then put in a 'stock bulkhead'. IN any case - I would give it a good 48 hours.

OP
OP
A

AXBROWN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok - then what is it for? (I mean if it's plugged) - in any case - if there is only pressure from the water inside the tank- on the bulkhead I would give it a good 48 hours.
It’s acting as a sump, but I’ll be running the drains into it and my submersible return pumps will go back to the tank. I bought a big skimmer that is too tall for my stand and too big for my current sump and needed something cheap and effective haha

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s acting as a sump, but I’ll be running the drains into it and my submersible return pumps will go back to the tank. I bought a big skimmer that is too tall for my stand and too big for my current sump and needed something cheap and effective haha
Measure once cut twice

OP
OP
A

AXBROWN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure once cut twice
Haha yup. Actually this one is sort of on me. Had my dad go by while I was out of town and measure my sump and stand, and he told me it would definitely fit. Which technically it does, but I should have asked him how much clearance I have. I could probably get the skimmer cup off, but I would have about a centimeter of room before it would hit the tank, and there would be NO way I could get it past the sump and out the door of the stand without spilling it everywhere. I don’t regret it though. It meant having an excuse to get this massive thing which will add some nice water volume

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha yup. Actually this one is sort of on me. Had my dad go by while I was out of town and measure my sump and stand, and he told me it would definitely fit. Which technically it does, but I should have asked him how much clearance I have. I could probably get the skimmer cup off, but I would have about a centimeter of room before it would hit the tank, and there would be NO way I could get it past the sump and out the door of the stand without spilling it everywhere. I don’t regret it though. It meant having an excuse to get this massive thing which will add some nice water volume
Actually LOLOLOL I messed up - its measure twice - cut once - but - yeah you get it

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back