Looking for aquascape ideas for tall column style tanks 36” tall

Brandon Lucus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36” tall tank looking for ideas on the aquascaping. I'm thinking a negative space aquascaping would be best right down the center with some flat branching areas for coral. Please post pictures of what you have. Thanks!

30CC9DEE-03C9-4E41-AEDD-8BACA8FDFCA7.jpeg 1AB06A44-6F9E-4729-8E5C-0FB07E68CBF1.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your gonna need to hire “Stretch Armstrong” for that bad boy LOL
Yeah anyway I got a deep 150G I think is 30”? ... I did 3 column...sorta run-o-mill cliche’ but it works ....pardon the funky algae on the glass, part lazy/part daily turbo snail feeding

image.jpg

I got those Tunze’s pointing straight down the back wall, it makes the detritus collect up front, otherwise cleaning would be a PITA in such a deep tank

OP
OP
Brandon Lucus

Brandon Lucus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your gonna need to hire “Stretch Armstrong” for that bad boy LOL
Yeah anyway I got a deep 150G I think is 30”? ... I did 3 column...sorta run-o-mill cliche’ but it works ....pardon the funky algae on the glass, part lazy/part daily turbo snail feeding

image.jpg

I got those Tunze’s pointing straight down the back wall, it makes the detritus collect up front, otherwise cleaning would be a PITA in such a deep tank
The cleaning is going to be a pain. But the filtration will be in the adjacent room with a refugium. I'm hoping once the tank has been up for a while it will help. Still in the process of dry fitting all the piping.

Attachments

• 28EE581B-88BF-4C7D-BF72-21FE04E916AA.jpeg
    28EE581B-88BF-4C7D-BF72-21FE04E916AA.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 321EA449-CE44-4B97-ABED-E589683F0719.jpeg
    321EA449-CE44-4B97-ABED-E589683F0719.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 50

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! (from another 36" cuber). When I did my rockscape (rush job) I just piled some fairly large rocks up to try to simulate the top of a pinnacle that I would see while diving. If I was to do it over I would break up the rock and build a tall lacey scaffolding type structure. Lots of large open swim throughs for the fish and to make it more accessible for placing frags, cleaning and for flow. You will probably become a pro at using those long grabber tongs for working on the bottom so consider giving yourself plenty of swing room for the handles towards the top of the tank. Are you going with sand or bare bottom?
20180323_084114.jpg

In it's infancy, not inspiring, not interesting, and definitely not recommended!;Vomit;Hilarious Lots of small holes but some of the fish can't fit through them now.

OP
OP
Brandon Lucus

Brandon Lucus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! (from another 36" cuber). When I did my rockscape (rush job) I just piled some fairly large rocks up to try to simulate the top of a pinnacle that I would see while diving. If I was to do it over I would break up the rock and build a tall lacey scaffolding type structure. Lots of large open swim throughs for the fish and to make it more accessible for placing frags, cleaning and for flow. You will probably become a pro at using those long grabber tongs for working on the bottom so consider giving yourself plenty of swing room for the handles towards the top of the tank. Are you going with sand or bare bottom?
20180323_084114.jpg

In it's infancy, not inspiring, not interesting, and definitely not recommended!;Vomit;Hilarious Lots of small holes but some of the fish can't fit through them now.
Thanks for the advice! I will have sand. It's a must for the wife. Lol. We both like the sand sifting gobies. Also, I was thinking of breaking up the reef rock and trying my hand at a negative aquascaping. Nice tank by the way!

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my 60g cube as a hollow 'mountain', with a ring of rocks on the bottom and stacked up from there.

Fills the space and gives good height.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it where me.....

I would do a scape that would entail allot of gluing and mortaring. Something like a tiered cake cut in half vertically. Larger at the base, progressively smaller at the top.

The reason is this will allow you to reach in without hitting the corals up high. Also it will allow all the corals to get light from top to bottom.

Goodluck

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my 60 cube using Caribsea liferock and eMarco mortar to gain vertical height. I created a crescent shaped base with some spires that reach upward. This allowed a nice sandy open area in front which could be used for an island of corals that one doesn't want to easily spread and take over.

The one regret I have is that I did not build the structure in 2 or 3 mortared sections but instead fused everything together with the mortar which now means that it would be impossible for me to remove just a portion of the rock. I've not had any reason to remove any yet but the fact that I can't is the "Telltale Heart" in the back of my mind :)

The photo below was taken during the cycle and I've since added sand and fish and a few corals.

60_cube_photo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tall tank and hearing about how you deal with some of the maintenance challenges that go along with that depth.

OP
OP
Brandon Lucus

Brandon Lucus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my 60 cube using Caribsea liferock and eMarco mortar to gain vertical height. I created a crescent shaped base with some spires that reach upward. This allowed a nice sandy open area in front which could be used for an island of corals that one doesn't want to easily spread and take over.

The one regret I have is that I did not build the structure in 2 or 3 mortared sections but instead fused everything together with the mortar which now means that it would be impossible for me to remove just a portion of the rock. I've not had any reason to remove any yet but the fact that I can't is the "Telltale Heart" in the back of my mind :)

The photo below was taken during the cycle and I've since added sand and fish and a few corals.

60_cube_photo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tall tank and hearing about how you deal with some of the maintenance challenges that go along with that depth.
Nice setup! I like how you did the doors highlighting the filtration.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of great ideas here, even some possibilities to mix and match. If it were me I would try to build a somewhat open tower using larger rock then at random areas have shelves come out in different directions. All should be mortared as it’s tall and slender. Plan around your corals needs anhiding places for other livestock.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this man. Build a tree. Find some thin arch like rocks. Could buy the Marco rocks arches.. and then add to the top branch rock in each direction.
this was my plan for a future tall cube but I would allow you to use it. XD.
@Brandon Lucus

OP
OP
Brandon Lucus

Brandon Lucus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this man. Build a tree. Find some thin arch like rocks. Could buy the Marco rocks arches.. and then add to the top branch rock in each direction.
this was my plan for a future tall cube but I would allow you to use it. XD.
@Brandon Lucus
Lol. I think that's a great idea. I'll make sure to reference your idea every time I get a compliment on it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back