Looking for automation ideas

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an AIO 24 gallon, I have pretty much changed everything on but now I am looking into things things to make life a bit more simple. So below are some of the things I am looking for ideas for.

1. ATO - looking to order the Duetto Dual-Sensor Complete Aquarium ATO System or the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 I don't need to top off much but still want to get something
2. Testing - so for this I am thinking maybe an apex system with a Neptune that will cover everything but nitrates and phosphates (not seeing any thing auto testing those) but this systems seems like over kill for my size tank so are there any other options?
3. Dosing I see dosing pumps on amazing for 70 bucks that I think would be fine since I really only dose my tank maybe twice a week at this point.

Just kicking around ideals let me know any thoughts

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Tunze is coming out with a new osmolator. I'm not sure if you can wait, but it looks very impressive.
2. A Neptune Apex/Trident is overkill for a 24-gallon. I'd get something like a Red Sea Marine Pro test kit and expand this to the Red Sea Pro Calcium and Pro Magnesium if/when it's needed (more often than not, on that size of tank regular water changes will typically keep up with these requirements).
3. Again, overkill for a 24-gallon. On my 200-gallon system I dose maybe 64ml of alkalinity and 12ml of magnesium (and no calcium) daily, and the Neptune DOS I use is borderline overkill for me as well (at least for the magnesium). I'd stick with your 2x manual dosing as I'm not even sure if you need to be doing that with water changes.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Tunze is coming out with a new osmolator. I'm not sure if you can wait, but it looks very impressive.
2. A Neptune Apex/Trident is overkill for a 24-gallon. I'd get something like a Red Sea Marine Pro test kit and expand this to the Red Sea Pro Calcium and Pro Magnesium if/when it's needed (more often than not, on that size of tank regular water changes will typically keep up with these requirements).
3. Again, overkill for a 24-gallon. On my 200-gallon system I dose maybe 64ml of alkalinity and 12ml of magnesium (and no calcium) daily, and the Neptune DOS I use is borderline overkill for me as well (at least for the magnesium). I'd stick with your 2x manual dosing as I'm not even sure if you need to be doing that with water changes.
What about the Kamoer X1 for dosing? I'm interested in responses to OP's post b/c I have a 20g I'd like to get at ATO and dosing pump for. I manually dose 1.5 ml of AFR daily to match coral consumption, but split that up between morning and afternoon -- I'd like to have it automated so when I'm no longer working from home I can still have the 2nd dose go in the afternoon.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying you can't dose on a 20 or 24-gallon tank, just that if you do weekly or bi-weekly water changes most of your supplemental needs (alkalinity, magnesium calcium, trace elements, etc.) are typically taken care of. The Kamoer dosers are certainly an option if you'd like to automate anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back