Looking for brook confirmation

JaFish720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I brought this black storm clown home on 12/10/22.

He’s always had his dorsal fin clamped and in general never seemed as healthy as my other clown. Had white stringy poo and bloating for which did a full prazi pro treatment and metroplex. That worked. Much more active and no more white poo.

Then about mid January I noticed he was breathing rapidly and color was dull, also some white spots that looked much like ich.

I pulled him and my other clown did a 45 min formalin bath a freshwater dip and then started treating with copper power at 2.5 (gradually over many days)

they are nearing the end of their 30 days copper, black storm was looking pale again. Suspected mucous which makes me think definitely brook. So I did another 45 minute formalin bath. This dramatically improved his appearance. I didn’t have a completely sterile tank for after so I did a big water change took out things and scrubbed, changed filter media and wiped glass. (My qt has sand in it, which I know is not ideal but it was originally just an observation tank) so….

now what??

I think my plan is to let them finish the 30 days of copper. let them sit in my qt with kanaplex every other day (for 4-5 doses) for a couple more weeks to reach my 6 week fallow period. Then one more formalin bath before going to the display.

does this all sound like I’m on the right track? I feel like I’m going insane. Fish are both eating and breathing normally. Bickering like usual.

parameters

Salinity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 1.1
Phosp
Copper 2.56
Hardness 8.4dkh

the pictures I’m adding are before and after formalin bath so you can see the visible difference. Pics are only taken a day apart. The one of him in front of the decor cave is the before.

49FD2982-49A5-4968-AC2E-6167217CEFE3.jpeg 231BC2D7-999F-4569-94A6-73C9D05D33C3.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it's possible to answer your question definitively. Nothing you've done would treat brook. I have not had experience with a formalin bath clearing a mucus coated fish with brook. You have done a lot of things. I would question - any other symptoms. excess mucus can be a lot of things beyond Brook. Your parameters for example? Copper itself can cause mucus production. I'm assuming your other fish is/are fine - that also goes somewhat against brook. Additionally - the fact that they should be tank raised goes against it - unless they have been exposed to other fish (I don't remember you mentioning the source for the fish). So - I guess - can't confirm it - can't refute it. But - I would suggest - it is less likely than another cause. PS - are the fish (or is the fish) still having heavy breathing, etc?) that may mitigate towards something else.

OP
OP
JaFish720

JaFish720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's possible to answer your question definitively. Nothing you've done would treat brook. I have not had experience with a formalin bath clearing a mucus coated fish with brook. You have done a lot of things. I would question - any other symptoms. excess mucus can be a lot of things beyond Brook. Your parameters for example? Copper itself can cause mucus production. I'm assuming your other fish is/are fine - that also goes somewhat against brook. Additionally - the fact that they should be tank raised goes against it - unless they have been exposed to other fish (I don't remember you mentioning the source for the fish). So - I guess - can't confirm it - can't refute it. But - I would suggest - it is less likely than another cause. PS - are the fish (or is the fish) still having heavy breathing, etc?) that may mitigate towards something else.
From what I understand formalin in the main treatment for brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I brought this black storm clown home on 12/10/22.

He’s always had his dorsal fin clamped and in general never seemed as healthy as my other clown. Had white stringy poo and bloating for which did a full prazi pro treatment and metroplex. That worked. Much more active and no more white poo.

Then about mid January I noticed he was breathing rapidly and color was dull, also some white spots that looked much like ich.

I pulled him and my other clown did a 45 min formalin bath a freshwater dip and then started treating with copper power at 2.5 (gradually over many days)

they are nearing the end of their 30 days copper, black storm was looking pale again. Suspected mucous which makes me think definitely brook. So I did another 45 minute formalin bath. This dramatically improved his appearance. I didn’t have a completely sterile tank for after so I did a big water change took out things and scrubbed, changed filter media and wiped glass. (My qt has sand in it, which I know is not ideal but it was originally just an observation tank) so….

now what??

I think my plan is to let them finish the 30 days of copper. let them sit in my qt with kanaplex every other day (for 4-5 doses) for a couple more weeks to reach my 6 week fallow period. Then one more formalin bath before going to the display.

does this all sound like I’m on the right track? I feel like I’m going insane. Fish are both eating and breathing normally. Bickering like usual.

parameters

Salinity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 1.1
Phosp
Copper 2.56
Hardness 8.4dkh

the pictures I’m adding are before and after formalin bath so you can see the visible difference. Pics are only taken a day apart. The one of him in front of the decor cave is the before.

49FD2982-49A5-4968-AC2E-6167217CEFE3.jpeg 231BC2D7-999F-4569-94A6-73C9D05D33C3.jpeg
Confirming brook. If I see correctly- the fish has secondary infections which stem from long term brook.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
JaFish720

JaFish720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirming brook. If I see correctly- the fish has secondary infections which stem from long term brook.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials
Thank you so much for reply, if I do a higher concentration bath in one gallon then transfer to qt 1 ml to 10 gallons/a day. How many days is prolonged treatment recommended?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you so much for reply, if I do a higher concentration bath in one gallon then transfer to qt 1 ml to 10 gallons/a day. How many days is prolonged treatment recommended?
Generally 10-14 days but can be longer and higher concentration will likely offer no added advantage.

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found brook on my clown fish 2 weeks ago. I decided to treat it in QT tank. I was using avainable on our market medicament which has formaline, methylene blue and malachite green inside. After one day slime was removed... Treatmen was continue 10 days according to inctruction( doses for ich for fresh water) and few days in clear saltwater.
I decided to transfer fish come back to display tank to reduce stress. Fish unfortunatly, still has some white spots on skin, but is not slime. Will go away by themselves or is better to continue treatment?

Ps. I have 2 clownfish, apogon, gramma loreto and red mandarine in tank. 1 clown fish get brook, all fisches had lymphocystis, and sometimes come back, gramma has ich on tail every few days.... Increadible, quantity fish is almost equal with types of parasites.... Luck? Or only reef tank? Lol

IMG_20230301_194951_edit_134367889215954.jpg
IMG_20230301_143350.jpg

OP
OP
JaFish720

JaFish720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found brook on my clown fish 2 weeks ago. I decided to treat it in QT tank. I was using avainable on our market medicament which has formaline, methylene blue and malachite green inside. After one day slime was removed... Treatmen was continue 10 days according to inctruction( doses for ich for fresh water) and few days in clear saltwater.
I decided to transfer fish come back to display tank to reduce stress. Fish unfortunatly, still has some white spots on skin, but is not slime. Will go away by themselves or is better to continue treatment?

Ps. I have 2 clownfish, apogon, gramma loreto and red mandarine in tank. 1 clown fish get brook, all fisches had lymphocystis, and sometimes come back, gramma has ich on tail every few days.... Increadible, quantity fish is almost equal with types of parasites.... Luck? Or only reef tank? Lol

IMG_20230301_143350.jpg
Did you remove all the fish when you treated for brook? I’m doing 6 weeks no fish in the display

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_20230301_143350.jpg
Not sure I can say this is brook- symptoms. . . . . .
Does fish have loss of color?
Heavy breathing
Lethargic behavior?
Loss of appetite?

May be bacterial rather than brook. Top pic is perfect but a tad fuzzy to confirm

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove all the fish when you treated for brook? I’m doing 6 weeks no fish in the display
Rest fish dont have symtomps....of brook....as far. I taking to account to take all, but first i am try with one fish, and second, a believe 10liters QT is too small for all fishes. I will have to organize something bigger... Additionaly, how to keep corals witout nutrients? Adding po4 and no3 is enough? Previusly, all experimentall adding po4/no3 was ending with problems....

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I can say this is brook- symptoms. . . . . .
Does fish have loss of color?
Heavy breathing
Lethargic behavior?
Loss of appetite?

May be bacterial rather than brook. Top pic is perfect but a tad fuzzy to confirmb
From begin.
Clowns are in my tank 6months. I was seen some symptoms of lymphocystis on fins only or something similiar (white spot/fog). It was coming fast and after 2 days out. Rarly. In december i introduce gramma loreto with ich on fins. After one month clown had it too, but only few spots and finish. Fin of gramma loret still have dots on fins every one week.
1 month ago, i had isue, that first clown had spot on fin (propably lympho), but more agresive, Like previous, but after few days, infected place had holes. After that, gramma had the same issue and "holes" after infection on fins. After some time, both fishes have recovered fins.

My clowns swims 90% time to one direction, that i see only one side mostly... I have found that last clown, has slime below mouth and close gills. I was looking closer, and i found on whole left side of fish something simllar. That fish didint have any other symptoms. During treatment, fish loss color, was not eating on the begin, gills was red and it was stressed, heavy breathing. After few days, started eat again. Now, in display tank, swim, eat, colors come back, normal breathing. But this spots on one side are still brighter. Is not a slime, fog or mold, looks like changed color of skin. additional symptom - Fish sometimes swim under flow, as if itched her. But it could be first ich symptoms because of lost resistant after treatment and sick gramma.

Few different diseases in tank, as far I didnt lose any fish

Additional photos added

Ps. Sorry for not perfect english - is not my home language

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_172703_edit_184135910623464.jpg
    IMG_20230302_172703_edit_184135910623464.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230302_172831_edit_184056010073997.jpg
    IMG_20230302_172831_edit_184056010073997.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230302_172832_edit_184046248519832.jpg
    IMG_20230302_172832_edit_184046248519832.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From begin.
Clowns are in my tank 6months. I was seen some symptoms of lymphocystis on fins only or something similiar (white spot/fog). It was coming fast and after 2 days out. Rarly. In december i introduce gramma loreto with ich on fins. After one month clown had it too, but only few spots and finish. Fin of gramma loret still have dots on fins every one week.
1 month ago, i had isue, that first clown had spot on fin (propably lympho), but more agresive, Like previous, but after few days, infected place had holes. After that, gramma had the same issue and "holes" after infection on fins. After some time, both fishes have recovered fins.

My clowns swims 90% time to one direction, that i see only one side mostly... I have found that last clown, has slime below mouth and close gills. I was looking closer, and i found on whole left side of fish something simllar. That fish didint have any other symptoms. During treatment, fish loss color, was not eating on the begin, gills was red and it was stressed, heavy breathing. After few days, started eat again. Now, in display tank, swim, eat, colors come back, normal breathing. But this spots on one side are still brighter. Is not a slime, fog or mold, looks like changed color of skin. additional symptom - Fish sometimes swim under flow, as if itched her. But it could be first ich symptoms because of lost resistant after treatment and sick gramma.

Few different diseases in tank, as far I didnt lose any fish

Additional photos added

Ps. Sorry for not perfect english - is not my home language
Your english is very easy to understand and great job. The challenge is the pics are a bit fuzzy but with your statement of seeing mucus/slime, loss of color and appetite, may very well be brook. The next challenge being in poland will be meds but i have suggestions.
This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank. I believe you have access to aquasonic formalin. That will work as will waterlife Myxazin. last would be Sera Baktopur
You may want to consider quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
JaFish720

JaFish720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my black storm clown. 8 days into treatment. He’s doing well I’m planning on treating for a full 2 weeks and then 5 doses / 10 days metroplex before going back to display tank

the ulcer/infection on his head above his eye has healed now and is looking more like a scar, I think , more than an active infection. He also has his dorsal fin up more often now and seems more active

Attachments

• 960E6E61-DE4F-4EE0-BD23-329F2547E5B3.jpeg
    960E6E61-DE4F-4EE0-BD23-329F2547E5B3.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 31

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your english is very easy to understand and great job. The challenge is the pics are a bit fuzzy but with your statement of seeing mucus/slime, loss of color and appetite, may very well be brook. The next challenge being in poland will be meds but i have suggestions.
This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank. I believe you have access to aquasonic formalin. That will work as will waterlife Myxazin. last would be Sera Baktopur
You may want to consider quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
Month later. Previuos treatment looks that was succesfull. Fish looks good. No brook/ich and oder symptomes. Spots are almost invisible. Thanks for support.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Month later. Previuos treatment looks that was succesfull. Fish looks good. No brook/ich and oder symptomes. Spots are almost invisible. Thanks for support.
Great to hear

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back