Looking for Clams

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will have a difficult time get bulbs for MH. Regulations due to “environmental reasons” stop the production of non LED light I think.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA recently brought in a bunch of really nice small ultra Crocea 1-1.5 inches and Maxima about 1.5 inches. Gigas about 2.5 inches.
I got a box from ORA through Ali’s store. Got a great shipment. 4 of us pool in to meet the minimum, plus to make the shipment sting less.
I send pictures later if you wish to see them.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to keep all different species of tridacna piled on top of each other in the same system. I have no idea how they control bacterial infections, but it appears to be working.
Brother I’ve been in the clam game for many year’s i used to get all of my clam’s from Barry when he owned Clams Direct, now i will only get my clams from Clam Mania your not going to get a more healthy clam from them they are all raised by them in a huge outdoor system, their clams are pretty much bulletproof, in fact they are the only one’s left in the country growing out clams, without them it would be so much harder to even find a clam

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the clams can be put together if they are healthy or from the same source. Like everything else, if sick clams come in contact with healthy clams there is potential to get the healthy ones sick.
If we am a clam importer, I would have at least 2 independent system, with one for QT purpose. Not all the clam diseases are easy to treat as PMD.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in emailing with the dude from mania, he comes off as being completely full of you know what LOL
Visited the Clam Mania stand at CFM a couple weeks ago. Owner said people on R2R don't know what they are talking about, croceas are the easiest clams that do great at 200 PAR (coincidentally the ones he had the most in display, I think) followed by maximas with derasas being the most difficult. Didn't bother waiting to hear about prices. My eye was stuck on a massive aiptasia next to a clam (not on the clam, on the rack), and that's basically where he lost me. Still keeping my eye out for a Biota reasonably prices squammy.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why all the MH bulbs are out. You cannot get MH bulb right now. Not in stock

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why all the MH bulbs are out. You cannot get MH bulb right now. Not in stock
I wonder what the legislation is. None of my suppliers have mentioned anything to me about this. I am still able to buy bulbs.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the legislation is. None of my suppliers have mentioned anything to me about this. I am still able to buy bulbs.
Where do you get your MH bulbs, when was the last time?
Right now, MH bulb is not outlaw yet, but the writing is on the wall. They will increase the requirement for efficiently and only LED bulbs will meet the requirement. If you want to continue to use MH, you better stock up on bulbs because it is hard to find now and will not be available much longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your MH bulbs, when was the last time?
Right now, MH bulb is not outlaw yet, but the writing is on the wall. They will increase the requirement for efficiently and only LED bulbs will meet the requirement. If you want to continue to use MH, you better stock up on bulbs because it is hard to find now and will not be available much longer.
Ushio. Last month. Title 24 in CA has mandated those kind of restrictions, but I am not seeing it where I live now. You can still buy incandescent bulbs at Home Depot here. I'm going to email Ushio and see what they say. Hamilton has been out for a while, but Hamilton is always out of everything. I've had LED, but now run all halide again. I'm more worried about getting the ballasts. Those ARE hard to find for sure.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought 4 250w bulbs earlier this year and I'll buy a few more soon. Halide bulbs are still being produced, but some "branded" bulbs are going away. Plus, Reef Brite has a warehouse full of bulbs, so I'm not worried them going away any time soon.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 4 250w bulbs earlier this year and I'll buy a few more soon. Halide bulbs are still being produced, but some "branded" bulbs are going away. Plus, Reef Brite has a warehouse full of bulbs, so I'm not worried them going away any time soon.
What about ballasts? I’ll stock up on some icecaps too.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about ballasts? I’ll stock up on some icecaps too.
Currently I’m using two Reef Brite ballasts and pendants over my main tank. I recently picked up two Galaxy electronic ballasts locally as backup. But I’ll most likely pick up another RB at some point. I might try the RB 14k 250w bulbs and see how they look?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, no clams to be found. I recently purchased from Pacific East Aquaculture, so i know what they have, but nobody else has anything. Looking for the impossible to find squamosa of course. Never should have sold mine off prior to relocating. Will not buy from Clam Mania, so that's not an option. Anyone got any leads.
Try ebay, some of the sellers on there are really good and have clams

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I’m using two Reef Brite ballasts and pendants over my main tank. I recently picked up two Galaxy electronic ballasts locally as backup. But I’ll most likely pick up another RB at some point. I might try the RB 14k 250w bulbs and see how they look?
Thanks dude, are you buying these directly from reef brite?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what your local fish shop can find from Sea Dwelling Creatures. They are wholesale only but I've gotten good deals via my LFS from them on maxima and I've seen squamosa on there WYSIWYG "Furnace" page they post on their website every Saturday.
20230604_173539.jpg

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what your local fish shop can find from Sea Dwelling Creatures. They are wholesale only but I've gotten good deals via my LFS from them on maxima and I've seen squamosa on there WYSIWYG "Furnace" page they post on their website every Saturday.
20230604_173539.jpg
Thanks man, I all stocked up now!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back