Looking for DE bulb

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of the Radium 20K but they do not make a 250 watt DE version. What would you recommend I get that is similar in color and growth? I am currently looking at the Ushio 20K 250w DE bulb but have never seen one in person.

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat, I have (4) 250w halides and need to change bulbs soon. With all the mixed opinions out there I was thinking of Geisman 21K mega crome
Figures Radims would not make a DE 20w bulb.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the geisman 21k mega chrome is the same bulb has the ushio 20k. just trying to save you a few bucks. ;)

fwiw i also run 4 de 250w halides and i recently switched from phoenix 14k to ushio 20k. still trying to decide if i like the ushio 20k or not. i was expecting a blue coloration, but it is not. i would say it is visually white with a tinge of purple. i may try xm 20k or hammy 14k next time.

i use pfo hqi ballasts (m80).

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question a few days ago and didnt get much of a response. I run the phoenix 14k which is said to have color close to a 20k but better par. I havent heard great things about the par of the ushios. I like the phoenix and was only going to get something different because I like to switch things up a bit. Anyways I found the phoenix bulbs online for $49.50 each, ordered 2 and spent around $107 with shipping. For that price it was worth not chancing on another bulb.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which ballast are you running the phoenix on? on my hqi ballast they were mostly white with a tinge of blue. at first i really liked them, but over time they made my colors look washed out. i especially noticed a lack of vibrance in colors with a red base (pink, red, orange, purple). i have seen the phoenix on electronic ballasts, and on electronics they have a more blue appearance.

fwiw, i feel too much emphasis is placed on par. i knew the ushio 20k would be a big step down in par, but didn't consider it a big deal.

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like my EVC 20k bulbs i have them on magnetic ballast and they still retain there blue apperance.

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question a few days ago and didnt get much of a response. I run the phoenix 14k which is said to have color close to a 20k but better par. I havent heard great things about the par of the ushios. I like the phoenix and was only going to get something different because I like to switch things up a bit. Anyways I found the phoenix bulbs online for $49.50 each, ordered 2 and spent around $107 with shipping. For that price it was worth not chancing on another bulb.

wow! awesome price!!!!!!!!!! care to share? pm site info pls!!!! and FWIW, i LOVE the phoenix 14 k..... get great growth and with actinic supplementation, great blue color!

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! awesome price!!!!!!!!!! care to share? pm site info pls!!!! and FWIW, i LOVE the phoenix 14 k..... get great growth and with actinic supplementation, great blue color!

PM sent, for all other just google search phoenix 14k 250w, for me it shows up at the top of the screen.

reefaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can order the phoenix bulb from hellolights and get free shipping. I run the 250w phoenix with an ice cap ballast and get great color and growth.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Phoenix 14K bulbs for 3 years but wanted more "pop" and thought a 20K bulb would do it for me. I supplement with one ATI Blue Plus and one UVL Super Actinic. I am running Lumatek electronic ballasts.
FTS7-17-2009web.jpg

Back