Looking for fish suggestions

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 2 months out from starting up a BioCube 32, and realized today that aside from a pair of ocellaris, I have no idea what fish I want. A lot of the fish I'm familiar with (tangs, foxfaces, etc.) just aren't suitable for a small tank like this, so I'd definitely welcome any suggestions anyone has for fish that would do well. I'm thinking a purple firefish might be a good addition, but not sure what else I'd like. Any suggestions from the community? I plan to keep the aforementioned ocellaris, assorted LPS, and a few snails/crustaceans.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are a good choice, and some can keep you substrate clean. Lawnmower blenny great for keeping algae under control.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrm... I've had poor experience with lawnmower blennies in a previous tank, but I think that was due to a persistent dino issue that I believe poisoned any algae grazers I tried to keep.

AnakinReefWalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend some of the smaller Wrasses. Wrasses are great because they come in every color imaginable, and they are very active fish so they work great for smaller systems where Tangs can't be kept. I'd recommend a yellow coris wrasse (good at eating pests), possum wrasse, multicolor lubbocks wrasse, pink streaked wrasse, and a Mcoskers Flasher Wrasse. I'd advise against getting a Sixline Wrasse as they are notorious for being bullies.

Aside from wrasses here are some other fish I recommend: Royal Gramma, Blue Spot Jawfish, Pink/Yellow Watchman goby, and if you want something cool I saw Pygmy Filefish at my LFS yesterday

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. That McCosker's flasher wrasse is really striking. I wonder if any of my LFS have them.

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple firefish a couple weeks ago for my 14 gal and definitely recommend them! Very active and the one I got is seemingly more curious than scared of me when I'm watching the tank. The colors really glow under blue lighting too, very beautiful fish.

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a wrasse lover, so how about a peacock wrasse or any of the tamarins? great for keeping any parasites down, just make sure you have a tank cover! they are good at jumping.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend some of the smaller Wrasses. Wrasses are great because they come in every color imaginable, and they are very active fish so they work great for smaller systems where Tangs can't be kept. I'd recommend a yellow coris wrasse (good at eating pests), possum wrasse, multicolor lubbocks wrasse, pink streaked wrasse, and a Mcoskers Flasher Wrasse. I'd advise against getting a Sixline Wrasse as they are notorious for being bullies.

Aside from wrasses here are some other fish I recommend: Royal Gramma, Blue Spot Jawfish, Pink/Yellow Watchman goby, and if you want something cool I saw Pygmy Filefish at my LFS yesterday
Yellow coris, lubbocks, and mccosker wrasse either get too big or are too active for a biocube.
I'm a wrasse lover, so how about a peacock wrasse or any of the tamarins? great for keeping any parasites down, just make sure you have a tank cover! they are good at jumping.
Peacock or tamarin wrasses need a bigger tank.

Some good options include: yellow assessor, royal gramma, pink streak wrasse, Wetmorella wrasse, neon goby, a group of barnacle blennies, stigmatura blenny.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a soft spot for my pygmy filefish that I got when I had a biocube 32. Active, clever, and unique looking. Beautiful is one word I would 'not' use to describe him, but I love the little guy!

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals are great in smaller tanks too. Purple firefish or the standard red one look great. Watchman gobies are cool but if you put it with a pistol shrimp but you might not see them much. Also a big fan of royal grammas. I had bad luck with wrasses in my nano tank with aggression and think they are better left to larger tanks unless you plan on keeping stocking light. I had a midas blenny in my nano that was the star of the tank. Tailspot blenny would also work.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma and/or Orchid Dottyback add color and contrast; I kept them along with a pair of clowns in that size tank with no problems. Might also consider a long nosed hawkfish, yellow assessor or a yellow/green clown or neon goby.

And a file fish makes an interesting addition as well.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pajama or banghai cardinalfish. Royal gramma, tailspot blenny, possum wrasse, purple fire fish, gobies (yellow or green clown) jaguar, rainsford (captive). Some fish I think are cool for 32g. Dustin

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions. Firefish are really cool fish and tend to not cover a lot of real estate when swimming, so are a great choice for a smaller tank. The standard white and red ones are beautiful, but I'm partial to the purple and helfrichi firefish.

Cardinals are also another good choice as they again aren't fast open water swimmers that need a lot of space.

Gobies, depending on the type, can do a great job of keeping your sand turned over, or perching on everything which can look pretty cool.

However, my favorite for a tank 30g or bigger would be a six line wrasse. They're generally reef safe and are painfully beautiful with great personalities. Be advised that if you go this route, they can be jumpers, so make sure your tank is covered. Also, add them last as they can be semi-aggressive at times if they're added before other fish.

Last edited:

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think twice on the pair of clowns. Because when the lay eggs they will claim that whole tank and all the other fish will wish they there was only one clown living with them.

Jay1661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think twice on the pair of clowns. Because when the lay eggs they will claim that whole tank and all the other fish will wish they there was only one clown living with them.

30g here. I have a pair of clowns. They haven’t laid eggs yet. They have just became sexually mature and they have taken over my tank attacking everything. I can’t keep any other fish. I have an azure damsel and the only reason he is still alive is because he’s a little faster than them and small and can fit into the rocks.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30g here. I have a pair of clowns. They haven’t laid eggs yet. They have just became sexually mature and they have taken over my tank attacking everything. I can’t keep any other fish. I have an azure damsel and the only reason he is still alive is because he’s a little faster than them and small and can fit into the rocks.

Yikes! Maybe just one clown, then.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot Blenny is a great colorful fish.
Tobacco, Chalk, Swissguard, Swalesi, Jack-o-lantern, Black Cap, Yellow or Black Assessor Basslets.
Blue Spotted, Pearly, or Yellow face Jawfish. Just make sure there is no open spaces.
I would stay away from wrasse accept what eatsbreakfast said.
Grammica Lined Dartfish, Fire Fish, zebra bar scissortail.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back