looking for help or advice on sump

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm in the Montgomery area and looking for some help building a sump and help getting started. I have a 55 cube and a 75 that was given to me and I would like to run them on a single pump and sump. I tried to build my stand but it went bad I did not account for the skimmer and such. I am overwhelmed with all the things I need to get. I tried to get a list, But I am sure I got it wrong.
Any advice would be great

THanks gary

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm in the Montgomery area and looking for some help building a sump and help getting started. I have a 55 cube and a 75 that was given to me and I would like to run them on a single pump and sump. I tried to build my stand but it went bad I did not account for the skimmer and such. I am overwhelmed with all the things I need to get. I tried to get a list, But I am sure I got it wrong.
Any advice would be great

THanks gary
Hey Gary.

Check out my build thread for info on my sump I designed.

I'd be willing to help you out with a design.

Let us know some more details, provide some pictures of your situation and info regarding limitations of what you want / don't want.

Simple way to do this is set the tanks up back to back or side to side with the sump tank in below them both. Have two separate pumps to pump clean water up to each tank seperately and have drains from each tank empty into the same area of the sump.

Check out my sump on my build thread and see what you think. If you skim through the pages I at one point annotated a picture of it , explaining the different sections and water levels.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as of now all I have is the two tanks sitting on the ground. I have to build the stand still. the first one did not come out right. so I starting from scratch no equipment at all except a skimmer. so I'm open to what to get and what to avoid. i plan on building a set of Joey's diy lights since I do not plan on doing any coral. my sump design I was looking at the triggerfish designed . can you post a link to your build thread. So far I plan on getting a reef keeper I have one small wave maker that I got from a friend. I also plan on haveing the tanks drilled so I can put internal overflow boxes in, I was looking at the shadow ones. SO your saying to run two pumps instead on one on a Tee correct?

THanks Gary

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as of now all I have is the two tanks sitting on the ground. I have to build the stand still. the first one did not come out right. so I starting from scratch no equipment at all except a skimmer. so I'm open to what to get and what to avoid. i plan on building a set of Joey's diy lights since I do not plan on doing any coral. my sump design I was looking at the triggerfish designed . can you post a link to your build thread. So far I plan on getting a reef keeper I have one small wave maker that I got from a friend. I also plan on haveing the tanks drilled so I can put internal overflow boxes in, I was looking at the shadow ones. SO your saying to run two pumps instead on one on a Tee correct?

THanks Gary

You can run one pump on a T if you want. Just make sure it is more than strong enough to flow as much as you need for your tank. I'm not so knowledgeable on the specific sump requirements for fish only nor knowledgeable on how they do/don't differ from coral.

I suspect you don't have to go nuclear like most do for coral since vertibrates are much more tolerant than inverts.

Weird... a link to my build thread should have been in my signature.....in any case:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...des-open-reef-build-long-term-project.296077/

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, it was I was looking for the word sump in your threads. I did find it that is one heck of a build you did. I think your setup is killer your sump design is hardcore more then I could figure out. I was looking to build something simple like this one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-sump-36-trigger-systems.html
cause I figured you need one sock per pipe unless you do another type, But I'm still doing my research on them. O nice cad work by the way. Are you using solidworks?

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Siemen's NX.

As for sump design, in my humble opinion, if you're going to make one, then you have to cut acrylic. If you have to cut acrylic, or but it cut already, then you might as well go full bore and do it right. Glueing in place is easy. My system is only more complicated than the one that you showed just because it has more pieces of plastic. I did the work, you can just copy it now :)

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by Chance can you send me the the file so I can have a 3d model I can go off from if you dont mind. your sump looks complex to me . might be just cause I'm new to most of this.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by Chance can you send me the the file so I can have a 3d model I can go off from if you dont mind. your sump looks complex to me . might be just cause I'm new to most of this.

I can post picture of the drawings annotated so you know what each part does.

Are you settled on wanting to make one rather than purchase one?

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post picture of the drawings annotated so you know what each part does.

Are you settled on wanting to make one rather than purchase one?

I'm still up in the air to see what is best bang for the buck if time and money is worth more then just buying one.

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have the tools to cut acrylics and are not really handy with making things then I would advise against making your own and just buy one. The time it takes and labor you have to do, I know my time is worth way more so buying one was a no brainer for me. I have the tools and very handy but after checking the prices for all the parts to make one, it just didn't make sense to make one myself.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think This time around I will just buy a premade sump I saw a trigger systems one I liked then when I set up my other tank I will build the next one.
I'm looking at the ruby 30 sump I think that will do well for both tanks.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back