Looking for input on my DIY Sump!

Mr_Robot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The construction itself is a non-issue. I'm new to reef tanks, and I'm wanting to include some of the features I've seen on the forums.

Algae Scrubber - Is this considered a "must-have"? I'd like to build one into my sump, or at least provide room for one. Any suggested designs?

Refugium - Gotta feed the Mandarin! (and give snails a good place to breed)

Protein Skimmer - Does the skimmer NEED to go immediately after the filter socks? My Precision Marine RL150 is FREAKING HUGE. (24" from base to top of cup, and needs to sit in 7" water)

Speaking of order, is there a preferred water flow order for the other parts of the sump?

If anyone else is running SketchUp, I can provide the .skp file - the forums won't let me attach to the thread.

Refugium idea.png

Refugium idea 1.png

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATS is defiantly worth incorporating in my opinion. See my DIY thread on easy and cheap ways to incorporate an ATS on just about any tank. It is best to have the output of your Refugium go directly to the return chamber. If your going to use filter socks set it up so they are easy to change. Hope this helps a little.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only "absolute must have" in any sump, is you have to make sure it has enough volume remaining so it doesn't flood/overflow if the return pump is off. There may be a good vs better way of doing something, like having an algae scrubber vs refugium, vs chemical filtration, they all will work. You would probably get a pretty even split on a poll as to which one is the "better" option. The same is true for things like media bags vs reactors, high flow vs low flow, rock vs sand, skimmer before or after sock, etc.

The best advice I can give you is build the biggest sump you can fit or have the materials for. (Empty space to add something later is a good thing.) Other than that, build in what ever you want were ever you want it and I have no doubt you can keep a successful tank. I built my sump out of a 75 gallon glass tank. I have 2 refugium sections, 1 before and 1 after filter floss. I'm building an algae scrubber that will utilize the outflow of my skimmer. You won't find a commercial option built like that, but it works on my 220.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only "absolute must have" in any sump, is you have to make sure it has enough volume remaining so it doesn't flood/overflow if the return pump is off. There may be a good vs better way of doing something, like having an algae scrubber vs refugium, vs chemical filtration, they all will work. You would probably get a pretty even split on a poll as to which one is the "better" option. The same is true for things like media bags vs reactors, high flow vs low flow, rock vs sand, skimmer before or after sock, etc.

The best advice I can give you is build the biggest sump you can fit or have the materials for. (Empty space to add something later is a good thing.) Other than that, build in what ever you want were ever you want it and I have no doubt you can keep a successful tank. I built my sump out of a 75 gallon glass tank. I have 2 refugium sections, 1 before and 1 after filter floss. I'm building an algae scrubber that will utilize the outflow of my skimmer. You won't find a commercial option built like that, but it works on my 220.

Completely agree on this. Bigger = better, and must have back flow capacity.

One other thing that I really like to incorporate into my sump designs is the opposite of this. Figure out how much extra capacity you have in the main aquarium above the normal operating level. Make the return section smaller than that, so in a worse case scenario of a complete blockage in the drains the main tank does not overflow.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out some of the designs of tge Trigger System sumps with refugiums. You will see the refugium section separated from the main flow of the sump. I've found the flow most of us run through tge sump is too much for "high" ecfectjveness of macros. An effective refugium would pretty much do away fod your need of an algae scrubber, and they are a pita.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along as i am going to attempt to build my first DIY sump/fuge as well

pm sent

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mr_Robot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lionking, You're the first person that's suggested that an ATS *isnt* considered mandatory at this point.

Refugium Section
I have the capability of 'splitting' water flow in order to lessen the flow through the refugium.. The specifics arent really important, but the theory behind them is more important in my eyes. I also had an ephiphany regarding making chaeto tumble, that I'll incorporate in this next draft. Basically, think about placing the chaeto in a horizontal cylinder, with water entering from the horizontal plane on the bottom. The cylinder will direct the water flow up and around, exiting at the top and overflowing into the next chamber.

Skimmer Section
In all the designs I've seen, people tend to place the skimmer immediately after the drain from the display tank, effectively the first section in the sump. Is there a reasoning for this?
I have a lot of vertical freedom in this stand, and I could probably incorporate that vertical room to a dual-level sump. However, anything I place up high can't be tall, so my skimmer would have to be placed further down the processes in the sump.

Algae Turf Scrubber
The most common design I've seen is the "Vertical" style. This design hangs an exposed algae screen from a pipe that trickles water down onto the screen. Lights on both sides.

Another style is the "Horizontal" style. Very similar to the Vertical, however the screen is tilted at a very gradual angle in relation to the horizontal plane. Can only be lit on the top side.

The last style I've seen is the "Upflow" style. This design uses the bubbles that are already present from the overflows of the main tank. A funnel type design collects these bubbles and directs them around a fully-submerged algae screen.

Unsure at the moment of the pros/cons of each design.

Return Section
This is the only section of the sump that the water level will change. I need to size this according to the two worst-case scenarios - Power Failure (Display Tank Drainback) & Overflow Blockage (Overfilling DisplayTank)

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lionking, You're the first person that's suggested that an ATS *isnt* considered mandatory at this point.

Refugium Section
I have the capability of 'splitting' water flow in order to lessen the flow through the refugium.. The specifics arent really important, but the theory behind them is more important in my eyes. I also had an ephiphany regarding making chaeto tumble, that I'll incorporate in this next draft. Basically, think about placing the chaeto in a horizontal cylinder, with water entering from the horizontal plane on the bottom. The cylinder will direct the water flow up and around, exiting at the top and overflowing into the next chamber.

Skimmer Section
In all the designs I've seen, people tend to place the skimmer immediately after the drain from the display tank, effectively the first section in the sump. Is there a reasoning for this?
I have a lot of vertical freedom in this stand, and I could probably incorporate that vertical room to a dual-level sump. However, anything I place up high can't be tall, so my skimmer would have to be placed further down the processes in the sump.

Algae Turf Scrubber
The most common design I've seen is the "Vertical" style. This design hangs an exposed algae screen from a pipe that trickles water down onto the screen. Lights on both sides.

Another style is the "Horizontal" style. Very similar to the Vertical, however the screen is tilted at a very gradual angle in relation to the horizontal plane. Can only be lit on the top side.

The last style I've seen is the "Upflow" style. This design uses the bubbles that are already present from the overflows of the main tank. A funnel type design collects these bubbles and directs them around a fully-submerged algae screen.

Return Section
This is the only section of the sump that the water level will change. I need to size this according to the two worst-case scenarios - Power Failure (Display Tank Drainback) & Overflow Blockage (Overfilling DisplayTank)
The return section itself will not have to hold all of the water during a power outage, unless all of the baffles are set near the top of the sump.
Also plan for baffle spacing for proper flow, and if you have too big of a fall into your return chamber you will get lots of micro bubbles in the tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Refugium Section

Skimmer Section

Algae Turf Scrubber

Return Section

The need for tumble in the refuge has to do with lighting, if you supplement with side lighting you really dont have to worry about it.

@Ryan115 made a good point about baffle height. That in conjuction with your sump size, you can also add check valves that would prevent water from flowing from tank to the sump while power is off.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back