Looking for large/multi tank sump recommendations!

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I am looking for recommendations for a large sump.

Display will be 150 gallons
Connected frag tank will be 60 gallons
I want the sump to have the capacity to have another 60 ish gallon tank plumbed in in the future as well if possible.

Based on that, I'm thinking I'll need about an 80ish gallon sump.

Any ideas?

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you looked into these ?
I really liked the customization level as well as the ability to technically have water flowing in from both ends .

also the ability to add on when needed .

just a thought

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an almost free used125 gallon tank that works wonderful. Spend the money on a nice external skimmer and pump that way you don't need baffles.

I'm currently running 180g + 120g + 60g all plumbed in to a 5' long 125g tank that typically holds about 80 gallons of water while running. And I'll add another 60g tank within a couple weeks and still have plenty of extra capacity.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much you want to spend & what you want.
I got a new 75g tank during a Petco sale for $100 and copied Exotic marine's Baffles system (should have just bought theirs for the $). Works great!
Otherwise, Synergy makes a great CL-44 sump. That's what I use on my 180g + 120g system.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is DIY. Rubbermaid 150 gallon trough from Tractor Supply.

Sump 4-9-20.jpg

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might check with Jeff at Life Reef. He is willing to customize his sumps so might be able to fill your needs.
I have heard nothing but good things about Jeff, I will for sure reach out to him!

Have you looked into these ?
I really liked the customization level as well as the ability to technically have water flowing in from both ends .

also the ability to add on when needed .

just a thought
Thank you! I sent them an inquiry!
I found an almost free used125 gallon tank that works wonderful. Spend the money on a nice external skimmer and pump that way you don't need baffles.

I'm currently running 180g + 120g + 60g all plumbed in to a 5' long 125g tank that typically holds about 80 gallons of water while running. And I'll add another 60g tank within a couple weeks and still have plenty of extra capacity.
I already have the return and a BK skimmer, so without completely getting rid of my equipment etc I would need to find a way to use the return/skimmer I have.
Depends on how much you want to spend & what you want.
I got a new 75g tank during a Petco sale for $100 and copied Exotic marine's Baffles system (should have just bought theirs for the $). Works great!
Otherwise, Synergy makes a great CL-44 sump. That's what I use on my 180g + 120g system.
I like the idea of a petco tank + baffle kit. Thank you! As for Synergy, I did not think the 44 could handle that much water when power goes out, so thank you!
This one is DIY. Rubbermaid 150 gallon trough from Tractor Supply.

Sump 4-9-20.jpg
I love the idea of the extra water volume with this. Just wish there were baffles etc as I do not have a recirculating skimmer or external return

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffels if needed can be added.
My brute trashcan is currently a baffel.
Hard to see but I cut a square opening.
Bought some plastic mesh from Hobby Lobby and zip tied it in plase.
My problem is a lid for evaporation. I think I have that figured out though.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many companies make absolutely stunning sumps. For my needs I built mine out of 1/2” acrylic. It is in my basement so I am the only one who sees it. If you don’t care so much for how it looks doing a DIY one is a great options. I have been. Like I said I used acrylic but lately I have done some projects in 1/2” PVC board because it is easier to work with a much cheaper than acrylic.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it depends on your return pump. If you run a Hammerhead pump, you may have issues.
I run an external Iwaki 55 for head pressure on that system & have room in the sump to spare.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a petco tank + baffle kit. Thank you! As for Synergy, I did not think the 44 could handle that much water when power goes out, so thank you!

I installed a check valve on my return line to prevent too much water back filling into the sump in my set up. This way, I limited how much went into the sump during a power outage. It worked for me without fail. Just an idea you could implement in your system. This allowed my 150g and 60g to be accommodated by the Trigger 39. It would not have been able to handle an additional tank though with how I had it set up. But, might depend on how many/where you installed check valves too.

Just a thought.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back