Looking for Red Bamboo Algae

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also called Solieria or something similar like Nemastoma or Red Finger Algae or Red Branching Algae. I've included pictures of some of them. All the sources I've been watching for months say out of stock. I have some Gracilaria Hayi I could trade for.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow when you find some let me know would love to have some in my macro tank!

OP
OP
Seabiscuit

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow when you find some let me know would love to have some in my macro tank!

Will post when I find a source.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it fuzzy? Where does it grow? I *think* I have some growing on live rock I purchased from KP aquatics, but I don't even know if it's found in the Florida Keys. Let me know. I don't have a lot, but I might soon if it does well.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a list of red macros in Gulf of Mexico.

Halymenia Elongata features long, tubular branches, that are attached by a single holdfast to form tight symmetrical clumps. It is both gelatinous and fleshy ranging in color from yellow to pinkish-red. The tips of each individual branch can be both rounded or split into multiple finger-like appendages. At first glance, it often resembles Gracilaria, as the shape is very similar. It occurs in moderate to deep water habitats to 150 feet. In the aquarium, its needs are very similar to other varieties of Halymenia, and it prefers moderate to high current and low to moderate lighting. This species is often found on aqua-cultured live rock from the Gulf of Mexico and will grow from spores when placed in the aquarium. Individual specimens are rarely available, but are occasionally offered by marine life collectors. Palatable to some fish.

A beautiful red algae that features gelatinous, slippery branches attached by a single holdfast. Similar to Halymenia Elongata in appearance, but is much more compact, with short, irregular hand-shaped fronds and a deep red coloration. Its branches are filled with fluid, much like Botryocladia, to keep it buoyant. This particular algae is highly variable depending on the individual species and often features bright orange or white tips. Like many red macro algae, it is rarely seen in the aquarium industry and is typically introduced through the importation of collected live rock. Once established, it is very hardy and will grow well in a variety of aquarium conditions, even low light environments. Most species favor good water quality and moderate water current. It is palatable to most fish and invertebrates.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back