• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

looking for rock/tulip anenomes

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some rock anenomes, majano, and tulip anenome's to collect for my mantis tank. if you got some cool ones that are acting as pests in your tank, i'm a good person to trade them to :wink:

examples:
myzoos1.jpg

gh_pink-tip-anemone-001.jpg

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some tulip anemones in my tank, the last one in your pics. If you want I can try and add them to the box. Let me know as I'll have to try and frag them off by beaking the rock or by putting a rock on top of them causing them to move onto it.

-Luciano

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still send you some if you like. Or we can wait till the POX are gone and I can give you some then.

BTW a nano or pico with some tulip anemones, sexy shrimp, and a gobie would look nice!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ficklefins said:
I can still send you some if you like. Or we can wait till the POX are gone and I can give you some then.

BTW a nano or pico with some tulip anemones, sexy shrimp, and a gobie would look nice!

sounds good, although it may be too hot any time in the recent future.

prob best to wait for a little while.

they will be meant to put in a 7g minibow, w/ a 32w PC (50/50) and a mantis. so basically a little decoration for mantis to play around with.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to look like zoa's in srfn's first pick but thats just me. Ive never seen these kinds of aneomes before.
srfn- just waondering why do you want them?

Steve

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishes2889 said:
They seem to look like zoa's in srfn's first pick but thats just me. Ive never seen these kinds of aneomes before.
srfn- just waondering why do you want them?

Steve

b/c they are pretty, and everyone else only wants to get rid of them b/c they sting zoas. so in other words, i want them b/c everyone else doesnt want them :)

i like to be different :headbang:

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, all going into a small mantis tank.

i think they are perfect for a small mantis tank, b/c they are non-light demanding. and multiply fast. and they all have great colors, but you cant keep them in regular tanks b/c they multiply so fast and sting other corals.

majano's are a little different than the above 2 pics, but I also want those. they come in all sorts of different colors, so only want the *cool* looking ones ;)

i think it would look cool to have a tank totally dedicated to colorful little pest anenomes (but no brown aptasia) hehe

mantis dont really like alot of bright light, so i do want other stuff in there besides just macro algae and rocks.... i could do xenia/star polyps/ mushrooms/maybe some zoas. but the mantis would just chop them up to his own pleasure depending on how he wants the rock to look. i figure the small anenomes reproduce fast enough that they wont stay damaged too long.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just a 7g, AGA glass minibow

its been retrofitted to include a 32w PC 50/50 light in the stock canopy, although i had to install a small computer fan in one end to keep the heat down.

it also has a AC 110 that was DIY'd into a fuge, w/ a small PC light over that.

i'm gonna do a couple more upgrades to it before the new mantis goes in it (maybe by the end of the summer), possibly drill the tank, make an overflow box and sump/fuge.

right now, there is a 1inch mantis in there, but i intend to get a cooler one that is more like 3inches. so there will eventually be 2 in there.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Rev:).

surf, I'm in Nashville, so we could maybe set up a transfer sometime with the other things we discussed, if the POX keep ficklefins out;.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just in richmond, and the owner of an AWESOME LFS gave me a rock of 5 tulip anemones for free. :)

got any pics gflat? i'm always up for more ;)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tulip anemones can spread quickly but I haven't really had any issues with them. Under high lighting they seem to stay in place and not spread, but under lower lighting they spread towards light.

I think setting up a mantis tank with these would be a great idea. They look nice and seem like a cross between zoas and anemones.

I have about 6 or so in my tank. I'm not sure how I got them but they haven't given me any issues.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got hundreds of them. They have spread well inder heavy lighting and lower lighting. My 125 has (3)-250W DE AB 10K's and VHO's and the 'wifes' 20L has VHO's and they have spread from two anemones about a year and a half ago to over hundreds between the two tanks. They don't seem to spread as fast in the 10 gallon frag tank, or the 5 gallon at work, though (both under PC's). I have (2)-100 gallon rubbermaid tubs with 200# of live rock in it with some tulips, but they haven't really multiplied in there yet, either. They will sting zoas and blastos (definitely merlettis, but haven;t had experience with wellsi's and tulips). They die easily, though, when you want them to. Joe Juice will kill them almost everytime with a small amount (just avoid getting it on the nice blasto heads, etc....). They seem to get larger under lower light. In the 20L in the bedroom, they get around quarter size, but stay around nickel size in th eother tanks.

6eed39b5.jpg

Under VHO's from the 'wifes' tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%

Back