Looking for some guidance! On my upgrade!

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 50 gallon salt water that I have been running for just about a year now... It has been a great time, but I am looking to upgrade to a higher quality tank, with sump, better lighting, etc.. (Finally got the approval from the fiance) - HAHA

Tank Size:I am currently looking at a WB or a red sea 130 gallon or a 180 gallon. Looking to get on some opinions which people think would be better in size! I am looking for a mostly tang tank. I have always loved tangs, but I am nervous as well that if I do the 130 gallon tank that I wish I did the bigger one, what are peoples thoughts on this? Which size is better people think?

Lighting:
I am debating to pay the extra and buy the lights with the tank when they deliver, but I am also debating on getting lights seperation. I have been looking at Kessils and primes.. What are peoples thoughts on the lights or should I go for my own lights.. My currently light I havea fluval, but I just love the blues on the Kessil's. I really am into coral's and want to start really growing them on my next tank.

Protein Skimmer: I am going to be most likely going with some type of Octopus whatever size that is needed for the tank.

Sand bed: I am going to be looking for a 2-4 inch sand bed in my tank, but does anyone have certain types of sand they suggest? That is the one thing I regret on my current system that I don't have a deep sand bed at all, some spots of glass are showing and really regret this about a year later.

Rocks: I am looking at BRS for the foundation and shelf rock style.. That is the style of Aquascape that I really love and allows plenty of coral growth in many places!

Any other suggestions would be amazing! Thank you for taking the time to help me out with my future build! When I do start to get this build going I will be making a thread on it!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question about it, go with the 180 if your a big tang fan!

Lights will depend on your budget. Primes are pretty good. I really like reefbreeders and reefi lights though.

Have you looked into having live ocean rock shipped to you?

3ish inch sand bed should be just fine. The type you use depends on the types of fish and inverts you want. Tangs don't care which sand you choose though.

Reef octopus is always a solid skimmer choice!

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question about it, go with the 180 if your a big tang fan!

Lights will depend on your budget. Primes are pretty good. I really like reefbreeders and reefi lights though.

Have you looked into having live ocean rock shipped to you?

3ish inch sand bed should be just fine. The type you use depends on the types of fish and inverts you want. Tangs don't care which sand you choose though.

Reef octopus is always a solid skimmer choice!

I am currently looking around for rimless tanks and found a website, but everything about the red seas and the WB just have such a nice look and have everything you need done for them.. Hard to beat the convince.. the extra money for them I think is worth it IMO!

For the rock no I haven't I just want to do something really nice for the aquascape.. something much better than I currently have.. How much is the per pound?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking around for rimless tanks and found a website, but everything about the red seas and the WB just have such a nice look and have everything you need done for them.. Hard to beat the convince.. the extra money for them I think is worth it IMO!

For the rock no I haven't I just want to do something really nice for the aquascape.. something much better than I currently have.. How much is the per pound?
I think they're around $11/lb (Kp aquatics) but shipping is expensive. I would go with your nice shelf rock and throw in a small shipment of the ocean rock, that stuff looks amazing!

Ya I hear you on the waterbox tanks, very nice! Which tangs are you wanting? Alot of them need a 180g minimum

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am thinking the 180 gallon.. anyways and with the dimensions it would fit perfect in the spot I want it.. I currently want Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, (Yellow)Tang.. Just to have, would like fox face, Sailfin Tang... Kind of all and definitely by then will be substituting them out whatever works best.. Thoughts on that list? ..

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same quandry

Upgrading from my 120 to to a 180 or 210...think it will be 180 as it will fit the space better, less weight as its on a second floor above basement and the boss is sold more on the 180 size.

i have always used carib sea arag alive fiji pink and never ever had a problem with it.

looking to upgrade my lights looking at zetlight ufo-not sure if im sold on them but my lfs thinks very highly of them and they have never steered me wrong.

9204DAF8-02AB-4379-892C-1611DB634E5A.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am thinking the 180 gallon.. anyways and with the dimensions it would fit perfect in the spot I want it.. I currently want Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, (Yellow)Tang.. Just to have, would like fox face, Sailfin Tang... Kind of all and definitely by then will be substituting them out whatever works best.. Thoughts on that list? ..
That's a nice list. The hippo and sailfin get a little big for a 180 but I would do it. Also add the yellow and purple at the same time to avoid aggression (you might have to throw some other tricks at them as well (mirror ect). I personally like either a yellow or purple since they look so similiar, then you have space to pick a different fish

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice list. The hippo and sailfin get a little big for a 180 but I would do it. Also add the yellow and purple at the same time to avoid aggression (you might have to throw some other tricks at them as well (mirror ect). I personally like either a yellow or purple since they look so similiar, then you have space to pick a different fish

I completely agree.. I feel like with a purple tang.. you have to do a Yellow.. They just look so well together.. I would like to add some other species, but would like to do way more research before then! Thank you for the info.. I might end up doing some search for a custom rimless tank.. My grandfather is extremely good at building, stands, seats, so might see if we can custom build one for the tank!

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same quandry

Upgrading from my 120 to to a 180 or 210...think it will be 180 as it will fit the space better, less weight as its on a second floor above basement and the boss is sold more on the 180 size.

i have always used carib sea arag alive fiji pink and never ever had a problem with it.

looking to upgrade my lights looking at zetlight ufo-not sure if im sold on them but my lfs thinks very highly of them and they have never steered me wrong.

9204DAF8-02AB-4379-892C-1611DB634E5A.jpeg

Yeah, I feel like lighting is the hardest part because I want it to be able to satisfy my needs for the corals itself, but not only have that really really nice blue look during the day as well where my current light lacks right now..

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree.. I feel like with a purple tang.. you have to do a Yellow.. They just look so well together.. I would like to add some other species, but would like to do way more research before then! Thank you for the info.. I might end up doing some search for a custom rimless tank.. My grandfather is extremely good at building, stands, seats, so might see if we can custom build one for the tank!
A custom stand is a great idea. Picking the right size sump and making it fit well under the tank is almost as important as the display tank size itself. I built my stand about a foot longer than my tank so that I could fit a 40 gallon sump and 10g ato tank down there.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A custom stand is a great idea. Picking the right size sump and making it fit well under the tank is almost as important as the display tank size itself. I built my stand about a foot longer than my tank so that I could fit a 40 gallon sump and 10g ato tank down there.

If I go that route.. I really want a rimless tank and will need to find some places that would custom cut a tank for me.. But or I just do a standard 180 gallon tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back