looking for some input on adding a juvi clown tang.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Im going to pickup a bunch of fish this week. I finally got my 400g all setup and all my coral fish moved over. Moving everything from a 180g to a tank double its size makes me realize i need to add some more. It looks bare haha!!

Im looking at adding a small 2" clown tang or a naso, obviously everyone will say the naso hands down due to its no aggressive behavior. The clowns have always intrigued me so i wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Current livestock-

Adult regal angelfish
Adult chevron tang
Adult PB tang
Adult purple tang
2 medium yellow tangs
15 anthias or so and a bunch of smaller fish

I will be adding a copperband and another 10 or so anthias. Otherwise thats it. Ill also be adding a bunch more rock the day i add the fish so it throws my current fish off a bit and they dont get all territorial on the copperband or any other new additions. Plus i just need more rock. Its worked out well for me in the past so i figure ill try it again this way.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts.
Thanks!
Dave

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you intend on adding it? That's a lot of fish in a new system. Even if it did have stuff from an established aquarium added to it, I would still consider it a new system and take it slow. You don't want to get too crazy of a nutrient imbalance early on.

I've never been a fan of these huge tangs, I've seen a fairly large clown tang try to "operate" on other fish in a display tank at a local restaurant. Doesn't end well for the other fish if they can't get away in time. I just think with that many tangs in one area you are going to run into some serious aggression issues at some point, especially if you add a clown tang to the mix. Just my two cents but I'm sure some other folks on here have some more to say on the matter. Good luck!

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you intend on adding it? That's a lot of fish in a new system. Even if it did have stuff from an established aquarium added to it, I would still consider it a new system and take it slow. You don't want to get too crazy of a nutrient imbalance early on.

I've never been a fan of these huge tangs, I've seen a fairly large clown tang try to "operate" on other fish in a display tank at a local restaurant. Doesn't end well for the other fish if they can't get away in time. I just think with that many tangs in one area you are going to run into some serious aggression issues at some point, especially if you add a clown tang to the mix. Just my two cents but I'm sure some other folks on here have some more to say on the matter. Good luck!

Hey! Im going to add everything this week sometime. The tanks been up now for 4 months and had over 300lbs of LR from the previous tank which is about 10 years old. I didnt lose one fish with the move or a coral, so i feel like its pretty stable already.

I have the same feeling, but i wanted to hear what others had thought about them. Everyone i have now has been in the tank more then 6 years together. The PBT is the only one who had some agression early, but everyone has been friends since

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 gallons gives you more leeway than most. Still, that's a lot of thick bodied/orange striped fish to attract a clown tang's ire. Personally, I'd only really feel safe with a clown tang as the only tang in a tank with bigger, more aggressive fish like triggers or groupers...

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l would agree with everything said above. But l would like to hear the thoughts of @4FordFamily and @eatbreakfast l know both of them have a lot more experience than me when it come to this.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents in you have tons of room, and you’ll be able to add tangs. The PBT may not tolerate other new additions, you’re better off adding several tangs at a time to spread aggression.

Also make sure you quarantine, acanthurus need it!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a 5-6in clown tang. I really don't see him picking fights with any fish even my other tangs. I just added a naso maybe a 1/4 his size a couple days ago and no aggression what so ever. Only aggressor I have is my yellow. The clown does not like bullies...lets just put it that way :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work we had a clown tang in a 580g tank, and it eventually had to be removed due to aggression. Aggression to other tangs, aggression to non-tangs, aggression toward the magnet, and aggression to anyone doing maintenance. When about 7-8", clown tangs are aggressive to just about anything.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back