Looking for some new fish advice

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - my display tank is 127G glass bottom (4'Lx30"Wx22"D) - currently my livestock consists of:
- Misbar Black & White Ocellaris x1
- Snowflake Clownfish x2 (ORA)
- Blue Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
- Sailfin/Algae Blenny -- hardly ever see this guy :(

I would like to add some new fish, looking for some brain storming ideas from some of the more experienced reefers out there. My thoughts atm:

- Reef safe, glass bottom compatible, no hood (aka no jumpers), no complex feeding (eg anthias/mandarin), nothing that's super high maintenance

- Love wrasses, but not sure what's compatible with glass bottom, no hood, and that's not mean (I've had many a mean wrasse)

- Love tangs, but I don't know if I can squeeze in more that would be compat with what I have

- Love gobys (glass bottom compat)

- Am considering a Royal Gramma (this is a fish I've never had before but people seem to like them)

Love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse's are jumpers so don 't even consider them. Dwarf angles, Hawkfish

Yea oddly enough, I've had quite a few wrasse over the last decade, and I'm hesitant to buy them, but I don't recall one ever jumping out, not sure how I've gotten lucky.

Dwarf Angels - that's a good idea - let me look into that.

Funny story - I had a Flame Hawkfish for the last year or two - and I like him - then I added a new pair of clownfish, one of which was pretty small, and a 6 line for pest control, and I had never seen that Hawkfish move so oddly, like a lion, he became a real predator, perching above those small fish, watching them closely, then he ate my little 6 line! So, there's apparently another Hawkfish that's not as big a predator, but no more Flame Hawkfish for me!

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow wrasse jumps so much he has broken his lower part of his mouth hitting my canopy, he jumped into my overflow. I just might leave him there.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma is alot like your Sailfin Blenny so far. I only see it when its hungry and its feeding time. Otherwise he sure can fit himself into holes in the rock that would seem to small for him.

OP
OP
S

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma is alot like your Sailfin Blenny so far. I only see it when its hungry and its feeding time. Otherwise he sure can fit himself into holes in the rock that would seem to small for him.

Yea I was just reading reviews on liveaq, seems like some folks have one w/a personality that's wrasse-like and for others he hides and they never see him... my tangs rule the roost, so I can see mine hiding if I got one...

OP
OP
S

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma is always out and about. Never is in his hole, only at bedtime

curious, what size tank and what are your other fish? i'm wondering if this is personality dependent or a function of the other inhabitants, hiding places in the live rock, etc

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely vouch for the cherub angel and geometric Hawkfish, I’ve even got me geo with sexy shrimp and all the shrimp are accounted for! Seaweed blennies don’t jump, are good with BB tanks, and low maintenance, I caught mine wild so not sure how easy they are to find. Azure and cocoa damsels are also pretty chill.

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma is out about 90% of the time. I have a 25 gal with a pair of clowns as well. Also firefish could be nice :)

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 cube -2 clowns, hawkfish, yellow wrasse, filefish, flame angel, mandarin, saphie damsel, Dwarf golden morey, snowflake morey, 100lbs of live rock filled to the top with eupyhillia's and bta's

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Watchman goby for bottom
trio of firefish goby (jumper beware)
Coral banded shrimp (great scavenger)
trio of anthias
Niger trigger
Moorish idol

OP
OP
S

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman goby for bottom
trio of firefish goby (jumper beware)
Coral banded shrimp (great scavenger)
trio of anthias
Niger trigger
Moorish idol

I like this set of fish, but you picked some hard ones for me! :)
goby - needs sand
firefish - jumper (although maybe I'll chance it)
coral banded - didn't i read that these grab small fish time to time? never had one, but love these
anthias - feed/feed/feed
niger trigger - not reef safe
moorish idol - reef issues as well

You have these in a reef tank or fowlr?

OP
OP
S

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely vouch for the cherub angel and geometric Hawkfish, I’ve even got me geo with sexy shrimp and all the shrimp are accounted for! Seaweed blennies don’t jump, are good with BB tanks, and low maintenance, I caught mine wild so not sure how easy they are to find. Azure and cocoa damsels are also pretty chill.

I've had sexy shrimp, they are awesome, one of my favs, had them in my original tank forever ago. I'm jealous that you caught your blen in the wild. I was considering a small damsel school...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I like this set of fish, but you picked some hard ones for me! :)
goby - needs sand
firefish - jumper (although maybe I'll chance it)
coral banded - didn't i read that these grab small fish time to time? never had one, but love these
anthias - feed/feed/feed
niger trigger - not reef safe
moorish idol - reef issues as well

You have these in a reef tank or fowlr?
Full mixed reef- have Anthias, have firefish, two watchmen and my sand bed is less than 1/4", and two coral banded shrimp. Had moorish in my 360 and bothered a few zoa but nothing serious
My anthias get one frozen feeding and two dry daily.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had sexy shrimp, they are awesome, one of my favs, had them in my original tank forever ago. I'm jealous that you caught your blen in the wild. I was considering a small damsel school...
I also caught my own school of cocoa damsels, very nice little fish and seem to play nice. Here’s an awful pic of one next to my red planet
5FBC6E12-E3BD-4D57-945E-4E2CC64BF4AE.jpeg
32A144F0-C82C-44C4-9043-56F39A9FC467.jpeg

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me in that tank

cherub angel
Royal grammer
Black cap basslet
Green chromis(cool little schooling fish )
Pajama cardinal fish( awesome schooling fish 6 would be awesome)
Starry blenny

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back